Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
My 25th reunion is being held this fall. I don't whether I will go or not. I wasn't hugely popular in school, but I wasn't hugely unpopular. I was a bit of a nerd (in band and advance placement classes) yet I was also a tad bit on the slutty side (within the context of band). I suspect most people don't really remember me, outside of those in band. I would have to take two planes to get there, and I just don't think the pay off will be there. I look at the Facebook reunion page and I have no idea who most of these people are, and those I remember I hated. The others I have seen over the years. It would probably make me feel a bit smugly satisfied to see that the "popular" beeyotches are all fat and hideous now, but of course I can see that on facebook. Oh those weekly tanning sessions really came back to haunt them...
My 25th is this yrs as well.

I wasn't a popular person in HS.... I was pretty quiet... most people wouldn't miss me....

Hence.. I ain't going.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM

192 posts, read 322,198 times
Funny I should find this post as I was given an invitation for my should be 20th but instead it will be my 21st class reunion and as I looked over the roster of names, there wasn't anyone that I wanted to see. I had a great time in high school, but as an adult our lives have taken many different turns and I simply don't want drama in my life that stems from childhood peers.I can do without the pretenses, or the millions questions on how I spent the last 21 years of my life. I can simply imagine what it will be like and how it will be plastered all over Facebook, Twitter and everywhere as the events are retold and someone takes things out of context and things get heated. I would truly rather avoid it all and simply enjoy the memories from 21 years ago. Simply my take on it.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Sounds like you already made your (economically sound) decision. See, Facebook is your friend.
True! Some of them don't post pics of themselves, instead only posting pics of their children, pets etc. I am pretty sure they are quite hideous now. Surely the reunion photos will go up and will give me something to laugh about.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM

35 posts, read 37,021 times
i ur case, i don't think you are happy to go there..
it's ur choice anyway

Old 06-02-2012, 04:25 PM

97 posts, read 180,344 times
I never hated the school or the individuals rather, I hated the cliques that were to be found in all the school I attended. different towns, different people yet I always found the same cliques. You know the jock clique, the pretty girl clique, the nerd clique, the hippie clique, the republican clique, the democratic clique... In all they were nice guys and gals but when they got together no one else existed and they talked badly about and down to individuals from other cliques.
So what does this have to do with reunions? well the reunions at the school from which I graduated.have been handled/taken over by members of two predominant groups the pretty girl cliques and the jock clique (my descriptions).
I met a member of the nerd clique and when I asked if there was going to be a 30th reunion I was told that he didn't know. He hadn't been notified or invited to any reunion. that was my experience.
on the year of our 35th reunion I went to a dinner after a funeral near our school (two towns over) and accidentally found myself in my years school reunion. I wasn't hurt just puzzled. when I asked the organizers why they hadn't tried to contact me. they told me I hadn't gone to the school. when i showed them my photo in the year book they said they didn't know me and that the reunion was for only people that they knew and liked when they went to the school.
yes I wasn't in the school for long 9 months, I was an immigrant who atttended five school in the four years of HS. (I actually served people in the graduation prom.) Ergo I never expected to be held as a dear friend.
And that is why I have never attended the reunions. never invited, the people involved/responsible didn't want to invite all the members of the class only those who they were friends with. I don't think I'm the only one.
Sorry for the lenght of the response.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Who goes to these? Worth going? Or not? Anyone?

I hated high school. Went to the five year....not friends with anyone from high school...really ambivalent about it...
I think it depends on how long after you graduate that you go. If you attend a 5, even 10 year reunion, many of those feelings can still linger and be present. Plus, I didn't have the best time in HS, but it wasn't all bad either.

I went to mine in '06 and hadn't seen many classmates or retuned to the school in over 25 years even though I sporadically kept in touch with some through the years. Now, a few years earlier, a friend who lived nearby invited a number of people from school to his home, so that sort of broke the ice for me and took the initial shock of seeing everyone again after so long.

Shock may be a strong word, here, but it can be overwhelming to see so many people you shared each day with once upon a time after so many years have passed, especially those you didn't get along with. Additionally, changing physical appearances, life's experiences, families can add to the anxiety.

In terms of the actual reuinion, I went to a small school, so it was more of an "alumni weekend" with various activities than a formal reunion for one class. There were people and teachers there I got along with in HS, others i did not. Either way after the years pass and one grows older and mature, we tend to laugh about the stupid things we fought about and simply focus on the present and move forward with the future. I have been in contact with a couple of classmates on Facebook who still harbor bitter feelings about some things that happened decades ago and have vowed to never attend a reunion, let alone stay in touch with anyone. In fact, I believe I am only one of a few people from the school that he has talked to over the years.

So in a nutshell, follow your feelings and go. Who knows? you may find that you all have grown up and it may not be too late to to at least put the past behind you and find some common ground.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
There weren't many people in my class and I know what most of them are up to because my mother is a horrible gossip.

My 20-year is next year and I probably won't go. Didn't go to the 10-year.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Next year will be our 50th reunion. I haven't gone to any reunion in the past and have no intentions of going to this one. The friends I have kept in touch with are important to me, one since we were 12 years old.

What's the point in getting together with people you were grouped with in a specific year and didn't keep in touch for 50 years?

I don't care what they look like or what they accomplished. I care about those that we continue to have a relationship and what is going on in their lives.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Next year will be our 50th reunion. I haven't gone to any reunion in the past and have no intentions of going to this one. The friends I have kept in touch with are important to me, one since we were 12 years old.

What's the point in getting together with people you were grouped with in a specific year and didn't keep in touch for 50 years?

I don't care what they look like or what they accomplished. I care about those that we continue to have a relationship and what is going on in their lives.

My feelings as well . My mother was very strict and i did not have a good time in hs at all and i was picked on horribly because of my downs syndrome brother who was with me always and our clothes were from goodwill because our mother did not believe in buying new clothes for us because as she said they would just wear out anyways . My brother and i were always called dirty and nasty names and some of the teachers called us things as well such as trash and worse things too . I can remember alot of these ppl imparticular being horribly unkind and i dont care to know what they are doing now because Im sure they have not changed one iota . they are still the same selfish horrible human beings they were in high school .

Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
I had an absolutely wonderful time at my 30th (skipped those before).
Hey, at this age, we have nothing to prove and I was quite impressed to see how so many of my classmates fared.
I went to a medium-sized girl's high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships