Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 AM

81 posts, read 195,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
LOL!!!! OMG! I love this thread!

May your dryer eat one of their socks! THAT should teach those horrid people!

This thread wins the "Tragicomedy Thread of the Year" award. Give me a break. I wonder if Jerry Springer would take on the OP and the SIL?!!

<starts chanting, JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!>

It has gotten hilarious - of sorts.

It would be a hoot if everyone on this thread were able to get in a room together. Would love to see who the faces are behind the comments.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatz View Post
FYI, we lived in the same area for many many years and there were no overnight stays. They have now moved.

For the most part, no one needs to "tell me" they are having real financial problems when their situation is "in your face.". If I know someone is unemployed and sick, I don't need neon signs to tell me I should respect their situation. It's just that simple.
You don't because you have that ability to recognize, unfortunately and obviously, not everyone does.

Well, I sure hope they compensated you in other ways. And I still think that if it bothers you so much, you are just going to have to tell them and if you can't do it to their face, email them or write them a kind, honest letter and it will be done.

Last edited by kimba01; 06-02-2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 AM

81 posts, read 195,921 times
I want to thank everyone for this interesting discourse. I think we have beat it to death and I might not log back regularly.

I have learned in life that there are so many different sides to everything and we often need to hear other opinions. Forums are very helpful for that. Sometimes we are too close to the situation to see it clearly. Kinda like trying to proofread your own work. Or expecting Democrats to agree with Republicans.

I'm not nearly as "angry" and "bitter" as some here seem to think. It's more of an irritation. Love my family very much but at any time, any of them might irritate me. And vice versa. We all have our shortcomings.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by zpatz; 06-02-2012 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-02-2012, 03:32 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
I'm on the OP's side, utilities can take a huge bite out of your income and having to eat ramen noodles for a month to pay your bills is no fun at all. It's always polite to ask.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatz View Post
I want to thank everyone for this interesting discourse. I think we have beat it to death and I might not log back regularly.

I have learned in life that there are so many different sides to everything and we often need to hear other opinions. Forums are very helpful for that. Sometimes we are too close to the situation to see it clearly. Kinda like trying to proofread your own work. Or expecting Democrats to agree with Republicans.

I'm not nearly as "angry" and "bitter" as some here seem to think. It's more of an irritation. Love my family very much but at any time, any of them might irritate me. And vice versa. We all have our shortcomings.

Have a great weekend.
Sister-in-law doesn't know the use of your laundry room is a point of contention unless you tell her...I learned a long time ago ppl aren't mind readers, and yes, some are users, makes it necessary in those times to speak up.

From a personal point of view, as a guest, I wouldn't do laundry all day at a relatives home....no front loaders with a double rinse....no can do.

You've used the cost to run your washer/dryer and personal tight finances as the bases for discussion. Have you given any thought to actual cost for the day? Add it up, the cost is not an outstanding amount, about $10.00. The anger and bitterness is coming from another place, and sorry to say, doubtful its whats truly bothering you.

Heres a web site with the calculations:

A Cost Comparison of Home Laundry and Laundromats | The Simple Dollar

What about the basic costs of a home washer and dryer? This varies a lot based on how you use your washer and dryer.

Energy cost per washer load: $0.04 – $0.68, averaged at $0.36 (source)

Energy cost per dryer load: $0.31 – $0.49, averaged at $0.40 (source)

Water cost per washer load: $0.11 (40 gallons per load, using this chart)

Cost per eight loads of laundry at home: $7.76

Cost per load at home: $0.97

Savings per load at home (excluding equipment costs): $2.15

Last edited by virgode; 06-02-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,926 times
Gee, this is the best thread I've read in a while, thanks for the smile

Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm confused. The friends (or the guests?) bought tickets to Disneyland and the adult guests walked into Disneyland and decided that they wanted to leave Disneyland before "the kids" (whose kids? the friends' kids? the guests' kids?) got to enjoy Disneyland.?

I suspect that there is something pretty rude and inconsiderate in there I'm just not exactly sure what it is. Please clarify. Thanks.
The guests didn't buy anything on their visit, not even their own cigarettes. They hadn't liked anywhere they'd gone. The kids were the hosts and they were excited about Disneyland. So the guests walked in, decided in the mainstreet square it was for children and decided to leave.

After that the hospitality and favors got pretty shaky, hardly a surprise.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times
THIS has got to be the funniest thread to sit down with the morning coffee to....

All I can think of is airing the dirty laundry. We even have a few psychiatrists here to add their two cents labeling of the SIL. It may be as simple as she likes clean laundry..doesn't everyone?

Thank you all because I needed a laugh today.
Who knew that dirty underwear would generate such a response.

Last edited by crazyworld; 06-02-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The guests didn't buy anything on their visit, not even their own cigarettes. They hadn't liked anywhere they'd gone. The kids were the hosts and they were excited about Disneyland. So the guests walked in, decided in the mainstreet square it was for children and decided to leave.

After that the hospitality and favors got pretty shaky, hardly a surprise.
Thanks for the details. Wow, the guests didn't even buy their own cigarettes! That is pretty bad.

I feel sorry for the kids having to leave Disneyland. How very inconsiderate of the guests. I bet you never let them visit again.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Mi casa es su casa. We have a family of five, so when people come to stay, there is ALWAYS a shower going or the dishwasher or the washing machine. All I ask is that people be considerate of others. Don't start the washer when I get in the shower, and I will return the favor.

When we travel, we have a lot of clothes just because there are five of us. We have to wear the same few outfits over and over or else bring even MORE clothes. A couple outfits plus shoes for five people easily crams two suitcases. We've stayed with lots of family members, who have always asked if we need to run a load or offered, "I'm going to put a load in ... do you need to wash anything?" Heck yes I do. I wash about a load a day at my own house. We always offer the use of our machines to guests. Coming home from a vacation to several loads of dirty laundry STINKS. In so many ways.

The OP is in a tight financial spot, so I understand wanting to be frugal. No partial loads or wasting soap, but overall a couple loads of laundry is not very expensive. The laundromat makes a profit and only charges a couple dollars to wash and dry a big load. I do think it's rude to monopolize the washer or run it when others want to shower or go somewhere, so maybe next time suggest that the laundry be done throughout the visit so that there's not several loads to do at the end of the trip. Pick up cheapo detergent at the dollar store and keep it for guest visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships