Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I figured I'd give this a try. My Dad is the hardest person to shop for. Maybe there are more guys out there like him who can give me gift ideas of what they'd want for Christmas. All the stores (real and online) have these "gift ideas for Dad" but none of them fit my Dad.

Dad is in his late 60s, retired, in good health.
No real hobbies, no golf, will watch Philly sports, but not really a big Eagles or Phillies "fan," so no jerseys, etc.
Not into any kind of exercise or sports.

Very handy--can fix anything in the car or house--but he already has nearly every possible tool. I've gotten him all kind of power tools, screwdriver sets, pocket multi-tools. Those damned Leatherman tools are guaranteed for like 75 years, so all the ones I've bought him will outlast him and not need replacing any time soon (should have gotten him cheap ones, right?)

Very simple in his clothing, and will say he doesn't need any clothes. My mom, sister, and I have already bought him a complete wardrobe over the years, from Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean, and he lives in plaid flannel shirts and jeans or khakis. We've already gotten him nice leather belts, and he has a pretty new wallet.

Not into high-tech things. Doesn't use a computer (no interest). Uses a very simple cell phone and doesn't want a "fancy" one. Likes oldies music (50s and 60s) but no interest in an ipod or a music collection.

Will drink a beer once in a while when at a restaurant, but not a big "beer guy."

Definitely not into pipes/cigars/tobacco.

Loves Consumer Reports, but already has a subscription and an indexed file of back-issues.
Likes car magazines, but I've already gotten him Motor Trend and Car & Driver subscriptions for his birthday or Father's Day.

No cologne/after shave. He's very simple and doesn't like "smelly" toiletry supplies. Ivory soap, Barbasol, that's about it. No personal grooming devices like nose hair clippers or ear hair trimmers. He goes to a barber regularly and has everything neatly attended to.

Likes duct tape. He's probably the guy all the duct tape jokes could be about. But we've already gotten him every comedy/joke book about duct tape, and duct tape in every color and pattern.

Spends his time puttering with the cars, fixing little things in the house, watching my sister's kids (being a Grandpa), eating at restaurants with my Mom, and watching TV. Reads the newspapers (actual paper version, already has subscriptions), watches DVDs (finally replaced his VCR a few years ago) takes care of the dogs, picks up dog poop in the back yard (already got him some innovative mechanical pooper-scoopers).

Already got him some DVDs--likes mob movies, the Sopranos, Dexter, any police-related TV series, Rodney Dangerfield comedies from the 80s, Abbott & Costello. Lately he's been into watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and Storage Wars, so we bond over that. I was thinking maybe buying him DVDs of TV series' he might never have seen, but that are in his genre. Not sure what though...

Last year I got him some special super-duper windshield wipers that were supposed to be the coolest invention since rocks, but I think they are still int he package on the peg board over his workbench 11 months later. Again, he doesn't like "fancy" or high-tech, "It's just more stuff that can break."

He's super-organized, but I think I've already gotten him a bunch of organizational/storage supplies. He does like the Brother P-Touch label maker I got him a few years ago (finally gave up the dymo punch-label maker from the 70s, even though "it was still perfectly good.")

He always says he doesn't need or want anything when holidays come up. He's very generous with all of us, so it sucks that we can never think of good gifts for him.

My sister has it easier, since she has kids. She just has to have calendars and mugs made with pictures of the grandchildren for him, and digital photo frames that will magically show pictures of the grandkids. B*tch. I don't think pictures of my dogs and cats would have the same effect.

I'm a lot like my Dad, but I at least have hobbies, and people always know what to get for me.

HELP!!!!!!!!

There must be other guys out there like my Dad! Advice please???????????
Don't know how much money you have to spend:

1. How about a themed weekend cruise for your dad and your mom? These cruises have all kind of activities live entertainment and music that boomers like. At 60 he needs to get out and live a little. My parents were just like this. Very simple tastes. Would never treat themselves to something like this

2. A short trip on Amtrak for your dad and your mom to say, an auto show in a nearby city, again for the weekend.

3. A complete kit to build a new doghouse for the backyard.

4. Buffalo Wildwings or Denny's gift card

5. Bed, Bath and Beyond or Home Depot or Lowe's giftcard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Thanks for all your ideas, people. But my Dad doesn't like going out to things, like shows, concerts, events, sports. Hates traveling.

I told you, he's reeeeally hard to buy for.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
If he did armed security for years, then chances are he still likes to shoot. Maybe a range membership, or a nice range bag? Something gun-related, as long as he still has a gun. A Hogue grip or grip sleeve is always a nice thing to add to a handgun.

My husband works in the security field. He hasn't needed a flashlight at work for many years, but he never gets tired of having the newest, brightest flashlight. Your dad might like one too.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
I know at this point my parents much prefer consumable gifts instead of stuff that will take up space.

A nice bottle of whiskey, fancy coffee, any William Sonoma food item. I once gave my sister a nice thermos and a box of South American spicy hot chocolate and it was her favorite gift. My mother once received a young lemon tree.

Inexpensive gifts that they'll actually use trump expensive gifts that will gather dust in a closet any day.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My dad told us to HALT on the gifts and just write him a heartfelt letter on his birthday.
He loved it so much, that is what he wants for xmas, too.

He never says no to booze, though.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Tracey, I've told you not to spread our family business on the internet.

I'm the same way as your dad, if I want anything I go buy it, usually because if I need it I can't wait for a holiday to get it. As such I have no advice to give you. I tell my kids, and Mrs. NBP, just to skip me when it comes to buying gifts.

Does your dad read? Maybe a book(s) to keep him occuoied in the evenings.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Hmmm. . .

Restaurant gift certificates for places you know he likes.

Packets of tickets for free car washes.

Gift certificate to a book store? He could pick out what he wants.

I think ALL guys appreciate gift certificates from Home Depot. He may not need a tool or appliance now, but you can bet that he might within the year.

Is there a sports figure he really admires? For example, my elder brother idolizes Muhammed Ali, and I managed to find an Ali wall-calendar to buy him for Christmas.

Does he own a "globe"? If not he may actually appreciate it.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Amazon.com: eschenbach 3.5x

Or browse an "Independent Living" catalog.

The favorite magnifier....is the Eschenbach 3.5 LED hand held. Or Easy Pocket.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Get him a Vizio Soundbar.

I got this for my mom's husband and old people are so funny that they get the "surround sound experience" from a 2 1/2 foot long "bar.

VIZIO High Definition Sound Bar, VSB200 - Walmart.com

Old 11-23-2012, 01:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Bacon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships