Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times

Advertisements

I think the OP is correct, I think this all boils down to jealousy. Just don't talk about your life to them outside of work, and maybe things will calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
One of the reasons I hate tax time.
Get this,when you are single and overweight,well it isn't great at all.

Some things I have heard

Why are you dressed like that?
As if being single means I'm supposed to dress in expensive clothes.
I'm happy shopping at Wallyworld thank you.

Then next question REALLY bothered me.
"Why are you fatt if you don't have any kids?" Also they say"I didn't get fat until I had kids".
Maybe because I just am?

Some also like to imply that every single woman needs a man.
Then proceed to hook you up with bum #1 and bum number 2.
Omg a lot of mean comments.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
The thing is th super friendly at the beginning but after that the hating started...

i was married btw for 8 years and marriage is just not for me. They cannot believe I dont like to cook, that I go out a lot and that I dont have to cook dinner every night after work. I am relieved to read I am not the only one with this issue, I will just ignore them because IMO is just jealousy.
How do they know these details about your private life? Is someone spying on you?

Sounds like all of you need to get back to work!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I am the only single, childless woman at work, and those women HATE me. And arent afraid to say it.

How do you deal with that? We are close knit and talk about our lifes and some of them just basically either envy my freedom and disposable income or just plain hate me.

Any advice woudl be appreciated.
Quit taking to them about your personal life. Work is work....keep your personal life separate. People share too much information w/ co-workers. If you need friends, find them elsewhere.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,180,454 times
Im in a somewhat similar situation in that Im gay and work with a mix of very conservative/christian folks. They're good people, just that they wouldnt be cool with LGBT folks.

So I just keep the conversation work related and keep an ear out for turns of converstation and tune out when the discussion moves to to social or political issues, too. It is sort of possible to talk in generalities about, say, a movie you saw, TV shows, (pop culture stuff) or maybe stuff like taking long bike rides, hikes, and travel to say a museum or a different city...

So just avoid the private/personal life stuff as much as possible.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Depending on the culture of the job, conversing about personal things can be a means of "getting along" or "being part of a team". Saying things like that's personal and so forth can get you ostracized quickly.

Working in a catty office can be a nightmare. I worked in an office with much older women and when I picked up on the computer system a lot faster than they had when starting, it was bad news. I actually had to have pretend mistakes to make these women feel better since it was becoming a hostile work environment for me. I later left the job.

This type of behavior is a lot more common than people think. My own MIL was actually asked to retire early because she was such a problem at her work. She doesnt like young attractive women. Its her own insecurity and bitchyness. Management couldnt figure out why great candidates were leaving the company shortly after being hired. Then one girl was bold enough to say exactly why, then the pattern became obvious.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Keep discussions related to work only.
Good advice.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM

676 posts, read 1,262,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Depending on the culture of the job, conversing about personal things can be a means of "getting along" or "being part of a team". Saying things like that's personal and so forth can get you ostracized quickly.
I agree, that's why I like Dayton Sux's approach of talking in general about movies, hobbies, tv shows. If you talk about things like that, you'll be seen as "social" enough to be part of the team and getting along, but won't reveal things they can use against you.

In fact, it's an approach I'd recommend for any job. Also, ask people questions about themselves and let them talk. You may have to listen to stuff you'd rather not, but it does help keep people from asking questions about you. Sample conversation between Jane and Ann

Ann: So what did you do this weekend?

Jane: Well I saw [name of movie], caught up on some DVR episodes of [tv show] and went out to take some photos to learn more about photography. How about you, did you go shopping for your kids gifts like you mentioned you thought you might?

Ann: Yes I did, [details on shopping]

Jane has managed to be social without revealing anything about her personal life beyond some interests in movies, tv shows and photography.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I agree, that's why I like Dayton Sux's approach of talking in general about movies, hobbies, tv shows. If you talk about things like that, you'll be seen as "social" enough to be part of the team and getting along, but won't reveal things they can use against you.

In fact, it's an approach I'd recommend for any job. Also, ask people questions about themselves and let them talk. You may have to listen to stuff you'd rather not, but it does help keep people from asking questions about you. Sample conversation between Jane and Ann

Ann: So what did you do this weekend?

Jane: Well I saw [name of movie], caught up on some DVR episodes of [tv show] and went out to take some photos to learn more about photography. How about you, did you go shopping for your kids gifts like you mentioned you thought you might?

Ann: Yes I did, [details on shopping]

Jane has managed to be social without revealing anything about her personal life beyond some interests in movies, tv shows and photography.
^^^^^^^

Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,939 times
Interesting thread. I just stumbled onto this from the "active threads" menu. I have to say I'm really quite relieved (and disturbed) that this is so common, I was really thinking it was a personal issue.

I am a 26 year old male and live in a part of the country where people marry young--VERY young--and almost immediately start popping out kids. Even in a fairly young office (average age here is 30) nearly everyone is married with a child. In at least 2 of my coworkers eyes I am pretty much a freak for being single. On a somewhat related note, I took a lot of heat from some coworkers earlier this year for, of all things, deciding to pass on buying a house. It was essentially a reaction of "why don't you just settle down and buy a house like everyone else does!" My coworkers viewed me as irresponsible and immature for not wanting a mortgage much in the same way they view someone without a wife/husband or kids. They also viewed this immaturity as somehow affecting my job performance in the future. Never mind that what I did with my finances and personal life was absolutely none of their business.

I don't think it is so much jealously as it is busybody coworkers just using another metric to size you up. They just cannot fathom someone doing something different from their bland, white-bread lives. I agree with the other posters to make small talk without getting too personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships