Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times

Advertisements

Somehow over the past decade or so, it has become a holiday tradition in our family to just basically exchange money. As in, I give my mom a gift certificate. She gives me one. Same for the only brother I care about and his wife.

At the same time- this tradition developed because it is really hard to buy for these people. My mom HATES everything she gets and isn't shy about saying so. A gift certificate is what she genuinely wants. My brother has enough money to get himself anything he wants and lives far away, so I don't know everything he has. If you try and ask him what he wants, he insists he doesn't need anything.

My dad is the only one who actually cooperates. Yesterday he handed me an ad and pointed to the slippers and movie he wants. I actually much prefer that. And at least I know if I get him a bonus surprise movie or something, he's likely to enjoy it instead of complaining or already owning a copy.

Anyone else sick of gift certificates for the holiday season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Yes. When we used to exchange gifts with my wife's family, my MIL and SIL would both give me a gift card. To me, it was like saying, "Here, go do your own shopping." A few years ago, we switched to a gag gift exchange. It's a lot more fun and it doesn't have the impersonal feel of a gift card.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
If someone expressed that they hated a present, guess who would get a piece of coal in their stocking or maybe just a card. Does not matter who it is.

Surreal that families would act this way. But I have learned a lot from reading forums like this.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Somehow over the past decade or so, it has become a holiday tradition in our family to just basically exchange money. As in, I give my mom a gift certificate. She gives me one. Same for the only brother I care about and his wife.

At the same time- this tradition developed because it is really hard to buy for these people. My mom HATES everything she gets and isn't shy about saying so. A gift certificate is what she genuinely wants. My brother has enough money to get himself anything he wants and lives far away, so I don't know everything he has. If you try and ask him what he wants, he insists he doesn't need anything.

My dad is the only one who actually cooperates. Yesterday he handed me an ad and pointed to the slippers and movie he wants. I actually much prefer that. And at least I know if I get him a bonus surprise movie or something, he's likely to enjoy it instead of complaining or already owning a copy.

Actually our family got sick of the entire "materialistic" and "commercialized" aspect of Christmas and the Holiday's so we do NOT exchange gifts or gift certificates. We as a family pool our monies and give it all to a worthy charity who will provide much needed items to as many families as possible or pay electric bills, water bills, go to the grocery store, things like that. We as a family do this at Christmas and the rest of the year we as individuals give to whatever charities we choose to so we can help others who have not been as blessed as we have at that time.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We as a family pool our monies and give it all to a worthy charity who will provide much needed items to as many families as possible or pay electric bills, water bills, go to the grocery store, things like that.
We do this, too.

You could take them out to eat. As I get older, I think shared experiences are better gifts than stuff.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
Other than my direct family, I don't exchange gifts with anyone unless I see something while I'm out that I think they would truly enjoy, and I never expect it in return. That's the point of the holidays.

Being with family should be enough. You should be up front and suggest it might be time to stop the exchanges, or maybe suggest a charity you all give to instead.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:

That's a mighty interesting family you have there. Where I come from, people appreciate their gifts even if it isn't what they want. Everybody is different, some moreso than others.

If you don't want to participate, don't. Send them a card that says. "$25 was donated to the local animal shelter in your name", and watch the fireworks. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
[quote=ParallelJJCat;27348042]Somehow over the past decade or so, it has become a holiday tradition in our family to just basically exchange money. As in, I give my mom a gift certificate. She gives me one. Same for the only brother I care about and his wife.

Anyone else sick of gift certificates for the holiday season?[/quote]

Nope, I would LOVE to get gift cards. But nobody ever gives me one...or gifts either, for that matter. Up until this year I have sent gift cards to everyone on my gift list. Mostly because they all live far away, I don't know what they want...they never say!...and I figure they can just get what they want. However, this year, I am not sending gift cards to anyone. They never acknowledge them, they don't even call or send a card and I ALWAYS have to call THEM to find out if they even got it. So, this year, all my Christmas money is going to charity. Except for my mom. She always gets a gift AND a gift card from me. At work we have a Christmas tree with kids and seniors who have requested gifts and that's where my money went. Four kids and four seniors. I feel so much better doing that. And I have to add that I never give with the thought of getting 'thanks' for it but it WOULD be nice to be acknowledged and let me know they got it.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
This year, adults in my extended family are not exchanging gifts. I'll exchange with my mother, but the gift-buying for uncles, cousins and their spouses will be no more. I am relieved that this meaningless ritual has come to an end.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:

Absolutely.
In fact, if you are going to do this, why not get one 50 dollar bill. Then just hand it around the room.

"Merry xmas, mom. Here is 50 bucks."
"Thank you, son. Here is 50 bucks." (passes the same bill back)
So on and so forth.

Then you're done an no trees died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships