Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago a suicide prevention sign went up in our neighborhood and it was a point of discussion among our family. I made some comment about how with high unemployment and dwindling natural resources, people should be encouraged to kill themselves. A few days later my cousin killed himself. His funeral is in a few days and I feel very conspicuous if not necessarily guilty.

Should I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
I don't know if you should go.
But its advisable to put your brain in gear before engaging the speaking machinery in the future.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Don't let a stupid joke keep you from doing what's right.

And I agree with bg7. Install a filter somewhere between your brain and mouth. But I'm guessing you've learned that lesson now.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Go to the funeral

It's your cousin. You need to go. You remember what you said but others may not know or remember.

My mom passed away 3 years ago and at the funeral, I realized how it's really for the family and friends and how just having people around helped.

Step 3 - Forgive yourself. Learn from it.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
wow. Just wow. Sorry, but has a person who has had a few people in my life kill themselves, your joke was in horrible taste. There is never a reason that suicide is a joke.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Of course you should go - and please, learn from this and never, ever make such a crass and insensitive comment again. It's not a joke, it's not funny, it's incredibly cruel...as perhaps you are now realizing.

I am so sorry for your family's loss. Please be especially kind to your cousin's immediate family in the days and months and years to come...

Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,659 times
Go to the funeral as that is time to be with family and reflect on your cousins life.

The words you said were in very poor taste and since you brought it up on this forum you have already determined that and hopefully won't say something like that again.

But keep in mind that the words you said weren't the trigger for your cousin, he had already had these thoughts and took that action which is sad but not your fault.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
A few weeks ago a suicide prevention sign went up in our neighborhood and it was a point of discussion among our family. I made some comment about how with high unemployment and dwindling natural resources, people should be encouraged to kill themselves. A few days later my cousin killed himself. His funeral is in a few days and I feel very conspicuous if not necessarily guilty.

Should I go?
Your post was unclear whether or not you joked about encouraging suicide in front of your late cousin or among other family members. Either way, I hope that you realize how truly inappropriate it was.

It is never right to joke about suicide. After my daughter's best friend killed himself it greatly affected her, and others, for years. Several close friends of his became seriously depressed and one even needed to be hospitalized. It will continue to be painful for his friends and family forever. Encouraging someone to murder (kill) themselves is not something to laugh and joke about.

I sincerely hope that you never joke about something so serious again.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Well, I don't think you need berating - obviously, you are kicking yourself for your attempt at humor.

You had nothing to do with your cousin's suicide.

Your family may remember you said this (has anyone mentioned it???) but I would be surprised if anyone mentioned it or in any way connected that statement to your cousin's death.

If anyone mentions it to you, you should explain that it is a horrible feeling being out of work and not seeing a future and you were trying to relay how hopeless that could feel but it came out all wrong . . . and that you are sorry for saying something in poor taste.

Surely you don't think there is some connection between your saying what you did and your cousin's suicide? That would be quite a powerful thing - to simply make a statement and the other person take it as a directive. In other words - no - that didn't happen.

Your cousin's decision to kill himself was his decision, however misguided, and doubtless occurred after a long struggle with depression, addiction, or some other internal problem.

Go to the funeral. It would be much more conspicuous for you NOT to go.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
You did not cause your cousin's death but what a coincidence and lesson learned about ''foot in mouth'' disease.

GO...funerals are for the living. Support your family but DO NOT mention your past comment or in any way make reference to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships