Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM

170 posts, read 323,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Why would you expect her to react well to you telling her that everyone thought her wedding sucked? Are you really that clueless? Did it occur to you that she might have thought her wedding was magical (as most brides feel)?
I guess it's more common than we thought. We're particularly strong-willed people. We've already thoroughly discussed such a situation in our family and I don't know why the first poster chose to brush off what was said in those other comments. I feel they do hold a lot of weight as to what is happening here.

Quote:
Just because you believe that what you are repeating is common knowledge by everyone...it's still in poor taste. Try having a little tact. Just because "everyone" is saying the same thing, why would you ever believe that it is acceptable to tell someone something that is going to hurt their feelings? Is that the only reason you told her? Just to hurt her feelings? Why else would you even think to say such hurtful things to her?

Again, we come around to tact. Has it occurred to you that she may desperately want children and is having problems conceiving? And here you are...yet again...saying something to her that is hurtful and tactless.

Don't hope to repair any relationship you may have had with this woman...with friends like you, who needs enemies?
It's quite obvious she doesn't handle criticism well. I didn't know that before, but I do know it now. BTW, I could say the exact same thing about you. It's only you who chose to see the situation the way that you do. You're hurt over it and blah blah.

Yawn. I mean, would you actually talk like this to us IRL? Probably not. What do you expect me to write back in response to what is basically a disguised insult? Honestly? Okay, there is no hope for the relationship with this woman Joy.

Talk about having tact, this is a common question. It's like when people say "please" or "thank you". I blatantly told her I didn't know what was so offensive about it, "A lot of married couples get asked that, and especially by family and friends after they get married." She even acknowledged I was trying to be kind but chose to be cold-shouldered.

Last edited by Cordula; 03-02-2013 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordula View Post
So she could keep being ignorant about the bad wedding? Now that I've read what you think of my case, I see it was not the most mature move. Keep in mind this flop wedding did happen between middle and high school. I also added I didn't necessarily agree with them, I could see both sides because it was supposed to be up to her. But that's just bad taste.

I don't see it that way because I'm honest. I would like to know what's going on. Again, it isn't one size fits all. If I had known she would react so strongly, I wouldn't have said anything about it.
What difference does it make at this point? Seriously it was a one day event, nobody died.

You seem to lack social skills, you don't have contact with someone for years and the first thing you bring up is "your wedding several years ago was a disaster"...LOL.

That's not the first thing you bring up when you haven't had contact with someone in years.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What difference does it make at this point? Seriously it was a one day event, nobody died.

You seem to lack social skills, you don't have contact with someone for years and the first thing you bring up is "your wedding several years ago was a disaster"...LOL.

That's not the first thing you bring up when you haven't had contact with someone in years.
This was all she was known for since we didn't talk for years, and BTW, the family talked about it forever. I'd say it was pretty major. LMAO. It's not like I was her neighbor or student, otherwise I would be asking about her window paint or classes.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
What were you trying to accomplish by telling her that her wedding sucked?
It was widely discussed in our family. I don't know what it is that throws everyone off here, but if it were me, I'd want to know what someone else is saying about me. I don't find it reasonable she was offended to the point where she threw me out of her life. People shouldn't have to agree with you on everything. And BTW, someone up there was saying it was only me who thought this way. It isn't, we all seemed to have that sort of consensus. Are we just a mentally retarded family? So be it.

See other posts. There wasn't much else to talk about anyway.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Although the wedding may have been discussed among others, nobody else seems to have felt it necessary to tell the bride, even those in attendance. You weren't invited, you were merely spreading ill intended gossip. You messed up, big time.

What in the world did you think could be accomplished by telling her?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times
My whole feeling at this point is that "no one is that clueless".

Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Although the wedding may have been discussed among others, nobody else seems to have felt it necessary to tell the bride, even those in attendance. You weren't invited, you were merely spreading ill intended gossip. You messed up, big time.

What in the world did you think could be accomplished by telling her?
No one would have told her because they don't really speak to her. I doubt her own parents reported the bad feedback. Like I said before, we're sort of separated.

There's a correction to be made: I wasn't invited simply because of an age limit. As I answered my father regarding what he said, "Joy herself was still offended even though it had been some time later. So that says a lot. She herself is not over it." She did not mention these things. Joy only noted that she thought that wasn't right for me to tell her what other people said about her and that it wasn't anybody else's wedding.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
WHOA! That is NOT a normal thing for a family or even a friend to do!!!

To be openly and bluntly critical of some relative's wedding is the very least in poor taste.

IMO, the whole family (except your cousin, Joy) needs professional counseling!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
This was all she was known for since we didn't talk for years, and BTW, the family talked about it forever. I'd say it was pretty major. LMAO. It's not like I was her neighbor or student, otherwise I would be asking about her window paint or classes.
I suggest that you and your family GET A LIFE!!!!!

If you and they talked abut this pffttt for years it's obvious you don't have a life, not one worth a lot anyway.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

But you don't start off a conversation with someone you haven't spoken to in years with an insult.

How many years ago was this? While no one enjoys standing around in over 100 degree heat, surely other things have happened since then that there are to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships