Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times

Advertisements

Am I the last person in America without a Facebook account? Who doesn't follow anyone on Twitter?

I have a LinkedIn account and was active in it for a while, but there's little to gain from it, since I work totally behind the scenes in my job, in a very specialized area. I have no desire to reconnect from people I went to high school with, nor any of my exes. I'm pretty shy as well, and most social situations tire me out.

That's me. Anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM

404 posts, read 385,864 times
Default You're not alone

You are not alone. I don't use either.

I don't use Facebook because at my last job you had grown people (we're talking 30's and 40's ) getting mad because someone didn't "friend" them.

I think it's one of the best decisions i made because at my new job folks will rag on people. They talk about peoples spouses and kids like they're supermodels or something.

I love people like i love a root canal sometimes.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,592 times
Aside from a couple of dating sites (and this one lol), no, I don't use social media. I've once had Myspace and deleted that profile because I actually wanted to hang out with some "friends" from my old high school. Never had a reply. It was then that I realized that social media was mainly for attention and people based their own worth on how many "friends" they had.

I also don't understand why people put all their information on Facebook. Heard of some people being fired from their jobs for saying stupid things.

Twitter is a narcissist's paradise.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,177 times
I actually only have a facebook account and I just got it back in December after deleting it 2-3 years ago. It's not a big deal, really. You're not really missing anything.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
I have a FB account. I had it for a month or so, then "deleted" it. Then went back on to find someone, but couldn't. I get so much garbage on FB and it is such a huge waste of time. There is someone there that keeps putting up posters with pictures of ugly dogs doing stupid stuff or with sayings about loving her husband. Okay, we get the idea. It's almost as if she's trying to convince everyone so that she can believe it herself.

I also have my membership here. That's it. If I'm not here, I'm looking for work or doing something away from the computer.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I DO have a FB & Twitter account, but I very, very rarely post on them. I may sometimes just go to them (FB, not really Twitter) to see what other people are up to. I only have like 29 FB friends...only 19 of them I know personally. Honestly, if my accounts were wiped out right now, I definitely wouldn't be crying about it.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 PM

436 posts, read 671,150 times
I have a twitter account but have never used it. I got it because when I registered for Pinterest (used to collect images for a big remodeling project) you had to have twitter or facebook. Figured twitter was the less invasive of the two!

I'm just not interested in sharing the minutiae of life with my 900 closest friends...

Old 03-10-2013, 05:24 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Nope, I don't care to play games with another grown adult, Nope I don't care what you and your cousin did the night before (or ever), Nope I don't want to reconnect with someone that I did not like before, Nope I don't want to be your friend and talk online I have a telephone for that, Nope, I don't want to be bombarded with advertisments from companies that I don't (and never will) patronage anyway And finally Nope because it does not benefit me in the long run since nothing of any real importance is ever conveyed by the people who are the most eager to befriend you.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Am I the last person in America without a Facebook account? Who doesn't follow anyone on Twitter?

I have a LinkedIn account and was active in it for a while, but there's little to gain from it, since I work totally behind the scenes in my job, in a very specialized area. I have no desire to reconnect from people I went to high school with, nor any of my exes. I'm pretty shy as well, and most social situations tire me out.

That's me. Anybody else?
Yet, you're here. Cop all the excuses of how it's different from other social media if you like, but it's still a social site and you're here.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
^^^ ???? ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships