Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm actually really curious about this and I've actually given up. But every single guy friend I've had always seems to want to be more. I've seen quite a few girls who have guy friends but whenever I make one, they become very invested in me and begin to want to hang out and often imply romance and a relationship.

I don't think there's anything wrong with hanging out, but it's that hanging out always seems to become something more than that. They want to pay for me, they want to drive me there, they want to do x,y,z so it becomes more like a subtle date. The moment I let them know I'm not attracted, however, the "friendship" usually comes to an end.

Anyone know why this is? Why can't I have guy friends?
I don't think most men value women socially as much more than someone they can have sex with eventually.
Other men can be brothers they would die for or whatever, but women are somehow not interesting enough or at their level enough to be anything but sexual objects.
I think this is changing a little over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think most men value women socially as much more than someone they can have sex with eventually.
Other men can be brothers they would die for or whatever, but women are somehow not interesting enough or at their level enough to be anything but sexual objects.
I think this is changing a little over time.
Bitter much?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I don't think that post reflects bitterness...often truth. Many men do simply see women as a source of sexual interest. Especially when they (the men) are young. And with the older ones, a lot of 'em will still look, and think it, but then not go after it because they think they are too old/unattractive, or because they are married, or just because their hormones have settled down. A guy in his 40's can be easier to carry on a friendship with...but I also know that I've had to listen to my husband assess the attractiveness or lack therof of every one of our female friends and acquaintances, and every female he sees on TV, etc. It's annoying. But I annoy him right back, so whatever.

That's another thing...being "taken" makes it easier. Now granted, if a guy, especially a young guy, and especially one with no great sense of honor, finds you hot enough he might not care that you're taken.

But...then again, it's also entirely possible that me being friends with older guys and me being a married woman (and all of 'em know it) has nothing to do with anything, and it's just that I'm 34 and not as hot as I was at 18, so guys don't want a piece of that action no more. But that kind of defies the notion that ALL guys want from women is sex, because I still have a number of dudes happy enough to hang out and have conversations and call me a friend. Honestly, I'm happy about that. All my younger life I had a hard time, 'cause I was into nerdy intellectual things, not shoes and purses and boy bands and whatever it is chicks are supposed to like. So by the numbers, most people who shared my interests were male. I wanted to be friends. But things always got stupid and dramatic once the whole question of romance started sneaking in. Even getting it out of the way and throwing down in bed didn't clear the air, because those FWB situations always wound up with somebody getting all mushy and attached while the other really just wanted to be friends! Drama, drama, drama. Hate it!

So even if I'm really just not hot anymore, I'm happy in my situation. Hope you get there one day, OP.
(EDIT: Happy, that is. Not old and fugly. LOL)

Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM

47 posts, read 93,956 times
There's a category on Craigslist for platonic friends & relationships.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Huh?

I am not bitter.

Just talked to a variety of different guys over the last 20 years about the topic.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Huh?

I am not bitter.

Just talked to a variety of different guys over the last 20 years about the topic.
What? Variety of different guys? Like five or six?

I'm sorry I know far too many good guys who are my friends to believe what you posted is true.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm actually really curious about this and I've actually given up. But every single guy friend I've had always seems to want to be more. I've seen quite a few girls who have guy friends but whenever I make one, they become very invested in me and begin to want to hang out and often imply romance and a relationship.

I don't think there's anything wrong with hanging out, but it's that hanging out always seems to become something more than that. They want to pay for me, they want to drive me there, they want to do x,y,z so it becomes more like a subtle date. The moment I let them know I'm not attracted, however, the "friendship" usually comes to an end.

Anyone know why this is? Why can't I have guy friends?
Most hetero "guy friends" are at least thinking about it if you're half-way attractive. Maybe your lady friends are just better at managing expectations with their guy friends than you are?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What? Variety of different guys? Like five or six?

I'm sorry I know far too many good guys who are my friends to believe what you posted is true.
*sigh*
Many, many guys.
Mechanics, doctors, waiters, scientists, teachers, economists, etc.

And like I said, I think this is changing more and more with the next generation.

I do have good male friends. It's been different once we are all.married and anything more is off the table.
But I have always had guy friends since childhood bc I have more common interests I share with men.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,706,758 times
Hetero males and females just friends ??/ Not likely

I think the topic was pretty well discussed during the car ride home in "When Harry met Sally"

Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Most hetero "guy friends" are at least thinking about it if you're half-way attractive. Maybe your lady friends are just better at managing expectations with their guy friends than you are?
Yeah probably. My friend had definitely told me about the various guys she befriended who are or have been attracted to her over time. I think because she values friendship so much she just kept things platonic by reminding them over and over what they were etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships