Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Seriously? Smiling and saying hi is "creepy"? Amazing.
I'd much rather encounter someone like you than the ones who can't be bothered to respond with a simple "hi". Those folks are the creepy ones, imo. I'll take a friendly smile any day of the week, and you'll get one back, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'd much rather encounter someone like you than the ones who can't be bothered to respond with a simple "hi". Those folks are the creepy ones, imo. I'll take a friendly smile any day of the week, and you'll get one back, too.
Its not altogether creepy, it just something more in tune to the midwest or south which apparently is where you are. In my world its crazy to go around saying hi to everybody you bump into, maybe if this was 1890 on Lil house on the Prairie times but its not. We live in a world where people beg for money, want favors from strangers ect.. Better just to mind your business most of the time

And personally, i get the feeling that the woman in question thought the OP was a creep. We all have no idea how he looked at her or how close he was b4 speaking.

If he told me he tried to greet some big fat girl and she didnt respond, that would be a whoooole other subject

Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I don't think she did anything wrong necessarily. Let's be honest, if she wasn't a beautiful girl, would you have even greeted her? Also, "how are you?" is phony as hell, I hate when people who don't know me or barely know me ask me that and I ignore them when they ask me that. And I usually don't respond when strangers say hello to me. Why are they saying hello when they don't know me, what's up with that?

I'm actually a good and decent person, just very introverted and thus don't like conversing with people I do not know. If that makes people mistakenly think I'm an a****** so be it.

IME, usually when some stranger wants to talk or says hello, it's b/c they have an agenda (selling something, trying to sign you up for something, asking for a date, hitting you up for change).
You probably don't like meeting people.

I agree with you on the fact that she did nothing wrong, but what is wrong with saying hello to someone you don't know?

If you want to meet people, you have to start somewhere. It sounds like you live in a really shady area if all you get are people with an agenda. (e.g Earth.)

Everyone has an agenda.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Yeah right I guess you don't live in a big city where people hit you up for stuff fairly often. I've perfected the "I don't hear you or see you" hard straight ahead stare when walking in public for that reason.
I need to learn that myself.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
ABSOLUTELY! I can't believe people feel they have the option of answering or not.
Unless any applicable Federal or State law says otherwise, I DO have the option of answering or not. You have every right to think I'm a tool for not answering as much of a right to think I think you are disturbed if a person not wanting to be bothered with the task of returning your totally random and pointless greeting to give you an emotional boost upsets you this much.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,794,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I don't understand this at all and to be truly honest, in my experience it has happened more times with women than men.

I went downstairs to our break room where a beautiful young women was at the drink machine. I smile and greet her by saying "Hey, how are you?". What does she do? Looks at me and then walks away. I wanted to ask her if she spoke english but decided that wouldn't have been a good idea.

When someone greets you, do you greet them back? Why wouldn't you greet someone back?

Wait for strange women to greet you first, unless of course, you have some kind of business to conduct with them like a bank teller, cashier, shop owner, etc...

When circumstances put me in close proximity with a woman I don't know, if it's physically close, like if I'm walking by her in a hallway, I don't say "Hey, how are you" like I want to talk. I say "excuse me" or "sorry" and keep walking. Acting slightly apologetic upon brief contact expresses you have no intention of bothering them. If a woman doesn't know you, don't assume she thinks you're safe to talk to. That is taking too much of a liberty and entitlement. You can't land in trouble with an "excuse me" or "sorry". And keep eye contact casual and very brief, if at all. You don't have to ignore them, you can acknowledge a woman's existence if you sense they welcome it, but don't give more to an exchange with a strange woman than it deserves.

Sometimes you will get women who won't acknowledge a simple "hello". It's not such a bad transgression on your part in that case, but it is your signal to dial the forwardness waaaay back.
Many women have been abused by men or know other women that have been abused and they are just not in a place where they can't grant anything to a male as "his right". Nor should they. It also could just be an entitlement issue for them. Just don't assume a woman owes you anything.

If they want to talk to you or say "Hi", they will.

That's how I approach it and I never get caught up in problems with women.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM

213 posts, read 660,425 times
Quote:
I don't think she did anything wrong necessarily. Let's be honest, if she wasn't a beautiful girl, would you have even greeted her? Also, "how are you?" is phony as hell, I hate when people who don't know me or barely know me ask me that and I ignore them when they ask me that. And I usually don't respond when strangers say hello to me. Why are they saying hello when they don't know me, what's up with that?

I'm actually a good and decent person, just very introverted and thus don't like conversing with people I do not know. If that makes people mistakenly think I'm an a****** so be it.

IME, usually when some stranger wants to talk or says hello, it's b/c they have an agenda (selling something, trying to sign you up for something, asking for a date, hitting you up for change).
I always say Hi, good morning etc when I come across someone in passing especially if the person looks at me. It is common courtesy, and just because I say Hi first, doesn't mean I want to start up a conversation. It's just being polite. And it doesn't mean I am trying to SELL you something or ASK for anything!! People can be too rude these days. Smiling and greeting someone in passing is nothing more than common courtesy.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
People annoy me when they say Hi. What makes you think I want to talk to you? If I want to talk to you for whatever reason then I will go up to you and say what I want to say. Randomly saying "Hi" is just annoying.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Saying hi in passing a person in close proximity is not the same as trying to sell that person a used car. It's only is a polite acknowledgement of the other person's presence.

I retired to a very small Texas town where human eye contact and a casual greeting is not yet seen as a pre-fight condition between two feral cats. I said hi to two women this morning in passing at the local post office. I even held the door for a third lady. Each woman responded politely and, I guess lucky for me, did not reach for their CCW.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Saying hi in passing a person in close proximity is not the same as trying to sell that person a used car. It's only is a polite acknowledgement of the other person's presence.

I retired to a very small Texas town where human eye contact and a casual greeting is not yet seen as a pre-fight condition between two feral cats. I said hi to two women this morning in passing at the local post office. I even held the door for a third lady. Each woman responded politely and, I guess lucky for me, did not reach for their CCW.
You're not getting it You're an older man, thus, you are considered non threatning. Just the friendly old guy. Theres a hot woman in my local supermarket who is always friendly to my father but nowadays looks at me with near distain because she didnt like what she felt like was flirting.

And again, you're in the southwest. People on here are not understanding that things are different region to region and I dont know why. SOme of you need to get out of your small towns once in a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships