Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That's harassment. You really want to go there?

I'll never understand people who can't take a hint. She brushed you off. The decent thing to do is leave her alone. She owes you nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I don't think she did anything wrong necessarily. Let's be honest, if she wasn't a beautiful girl, would you have even greeted her? Also, "how are you?" is phony as hell, Ihate when people who don't know me or barely know me ask me that and I ignore them when they ask me that. And I usually don't respond when strangers say hello to me. Why are they saying hello when they don't know me, what's up with that?

I'm actually a good and decent person, just very introverted and thus don't like conversing with people I do not know. If that makes people mistakenly think I'm an a****** so be it.

IME, usually when some stranger wants to talk or says hello, it's b/c they have an agenda (selling something, trying to sign you up for something, asking for a date, hitting you up for change).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
So it all comes down to you only spoke to her b/c you found her hot.

Heres a rule of thumb, as someone stated, you should probably keep it more simple like "good morning". "How are you" to a hot woman u never met, who is probably guarded b/c she always gets hit on, sounds like you're looking for a conversation.

Unless you look like Brad Pitt in his prime, you cant just go around feeling entitled to talk to very attractive woman.
Its known that if you are really good looking yourself, people like talking to you because it makes them feel good looking too.

And another thing, not sure where this was, but Northeast women have a built in coldness. Probably from dealing with subways and constant bad weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems the OP was slighted because a pretty woman didn't respond back.

If it was an unattractive woman,I doubt he would have even started this thread.
Why? Because he probably wouldn't have even said anything to her
Kudos to the posts above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
This does depend in part on what part of the country you're in or how big the community you live in is. That's just a fact of life. People in a big city can't forge a personal relationship with everyone they meet. And it's the same principle if she's really attractive. She's likely had her fill of guys speaking to her.

We also don't know how this question was posed, with a leer possibly, a look up and down her body maybe. Nor do we know what sort of an impression the OP makes on others or even what impression he would make on us. Which leads to the funniest thing about this thread: all the (self-righteous) claims of always greeting others. You're kidding yourselves if you think you never ignore anyone if they strike you as odd or threatening or as some sort of a pain in the neck.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,770 times
Another thought on the "how are you?" part: It implies a level of intimacy between the 2 people that may or may not (like in the OP's case) exist and that makes people, esp introverts uncomfortable: I so badly want to say "Do you really care?" or "Why are you asking me that when you don't know me at all?" when someone I don't know well or at all asks me that inane question.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I don't understand this at all and to be truly honest, in my experience it has happened more times with women than men.

I went downstairs to our break room where a beautiful young women was at the drink machine. I smile and greet her by saying "Hey, how are you?". What does she do? Looks at me and then walks away. I wanted to ask her if she spoke english but decided that wouldn't have been a good idea.

When someone greets you, do you greet them back? Why wouldn't you greet someone back?
She simply wasn't feeling you.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 AM

315 posts, read 564,196 times
I worked with a girl who claimed she was my friend but every time she walked passed me or into the room she would blatantly ignore my greeting. She did this to many people though. She would ignore you if you tried to enter the conversation, etc. Of course, if she had no one else worthy of her time she'd interject in yours though. I came back after a week and she claimed she missed me and actually came up to me. I looked at her like she had two heads and walked over to my real friends.

It doesn't take much effort and it's just blatantly rude. I am an introvert to, but I don't think everyone who is greeting you is out to get you. They're just saying hi, just be friendly for a change and respond back it isn't that difficult to do. That's not to say I really say it first, as I am sort of shy but I will always always respond unless it's some creeper hitting on my or something.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lame stereotype you're pushing there; ironically while reinforcing another stereotype of an ignorant, judgmental, self-righteous person from a small town in the west.

Two big east coast cities just went through horrific disasters recently--a bombing in Boston and a huge storm that wiped out entire neighborhoods in NY and its metro area--and if you think people there did not rise up and "care" about anyone else, you're beyond ignorant. I don't know what the word would even be for that.

In a large city where you are literally passing hundreds of people every few minutes, grinning like a dimwit and saying "Howdy howdy howdy" to everyone you see would be a sure way to get people to give you lots of space.
Thank you. We may not be sunshine and puppies every day out here, but when SHTF we will have each others back. Give me that over cookies when you first move into a neighborhood and a hi with a creepy smile every time.

Quote:
That's just common courtesy. Even if you're having a crap day. It doesn't even take a second to just say "Hello"

You don't even have to smile. Doesn't have to be cheerful just a bland hello. No big deal.
Apparently it is a big deal if I don't respond to a greeting.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,811 times
It's generally rude, IMO, to ignore a greeting. If you don't want to be sucked into a conversation, you can just nod and say "Good morning" and move along. I do get, though, that extremely attractive women may need to be more careful than the average Jane when interacting with strangers, and perhaps may feel safer not responding to some.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Greeting back is the right thing to do. Everything else is RUDE.

If you have a bad day or pms - that is no excuse IMO. You can just say "HI" and walk away.
ABSOLUTELY! I can't believe people feel they have the option of answering or not.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM

85 posts, read 192,219 times
Every single time!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Once I said "Hello, what a beautiful day!" to someone and they just looked at me, so I then said, "or not".
Good one !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships