Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Seriously? Smiling and saying hi is "creepy"? Amazing.
Yeah, running around saying "HOWDY" to everyone can be a bit weird. Everybody aint fromt he midwest and the south. If you do that in the northeast, someone may look at you funny or wonder what you want from them. We're "ONE" country according to the world, but each state and region is like their own little country with diffeent ideas of what acceptable behavior to other humans

And to reiterate, the OP only spoke to this woman b/c he thought she was hot, was hoping she would respond, and later on he could have conversation with her. As stated, she probably quickly sized him up, and realized he was someone she didnt want to know. Yea, a lil rude, but it can get tricky with woman that get an overwhelming amount of attention in life.

The OP is probably thinking "Damm, im not cute enough for a hot woman to respond?", funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Seriously? Smiling and saying hi is "creepy"? Amazing.
I don't know if that is creepy in CO and I don't care but in DC, people will think you were just in the mental ward.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Ok people I don't "run around saying howdy to everyone". If someone makes eye contact I will say hi. And yeah, it's a small town in the west. Not some big east coast city where no one cares about anyone else.

It's a shame when being friendly is considered "creepy". Enjoy your miserable lives.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Ok people I don't "run around saying howdy to everyone". If someone makes eye contact I will say hi. And yeah, it's a small town in the west. Not some big east coast city where no one cares about anyone else.

It's a shame when being friendly is considered "creepy". Enjoy your miserable lives.
And you enjoy your fake plastic smile existence out there. Just for the record, the east coast does just fine being honest and not giving a .

Old 04-27-2013, 03:48 PM

956 posts, read 1,768,067 times
Just because someone smiles a lot doesn't mean he is fake. He just gets wrinkles.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,974 times
Once I said "Hello, what a beautiful day!" to someone and they just looked at me, so I then said, "or not".

Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 PM

1,104 posts, read 920,077 times
I tend to say hi, but don't go much further. With attractive women it's a little different, I assume that they already have a queue of guys lining up to say hi and that they would like a little peace instead.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,735,294 times
Next time you get on a elevator try this.

Everyone always faces forward when riding an elevator, so when you step on and there are others in the elevator just face the rear and say, "Hi everyone, let's all turn and greet each other." That ought to empty the car at the next stop.

I always say hello. If you can't handle it, no problem here.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,938 times
That's so weird. It must be regional.

I always do, bad day or not. If I'm somewhere in the morning almost always someone says "Good morning" or smiles and I do the same.

People always look up and make eye contact being noisy when someone new enters the room so why not extend a greeting?

That's just common courtesy. Even if you're having a crap day. It doesn't even take a second to just say "Hello"

You don't even have to smile. Doesn't have to be cheerful just a bland hello. No big deal.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:

Lame stereotype you're pushing there; ironically while reinforcing another stereotype of an ignorant, judgmental, self-righteous person from a small town in the west.

Two big east coast cities just went through horrific disasters recently--a bombing in Boston and a huge storm that wiped out entire neighborhoods in NY and its metro area--and if you think people there did not rise up and "care" about anyone else, you're beyond ignorant. I don't know what the word would even be for that.

In a large city where you are literally passing hundreds of people every few minutes, grinning like a dimwit and saying "Howdy howdy howdy" to everyone you see would be a sure way to get people to give you lots of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships