Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM

486 posts, read 863,840 times

Advertisements

[quote=key4lp;29270542]I would agree with muleskinner and ^^^^. I would either say hello or a thank you with a smile
(ex. if some one opens or holds a door). It's just being nice. But when I go to areas where
there are panhandlers or moochers, I just look straight ahead not to get approached
and avoid having to say a harsh no. (note: sometimes I will give a little something
to a street performer).

Saw a clip (Huffington Post) of a homeless man who stands around the CVS by the metra station.
It's a very sad story. I personally never saw him when I'm there but next time I would help the
guy out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I always do. But then, I'm from the South

I have encountered people though, when in certain parts of the country, who look suspiciously upon an unsolicited greeting.

It seems strange to me and I always look at it as "their" problem, not mine.

Either that, or they might have tiny little ear buds in listening to music and they just didn't hear me, lol!
I always do, too, but then, I'm from New Jersey.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
TO answer your question, Yes...I greet back.
RE your experience in the break room.....Next time just say..Hello. Perhaps as you described her as beautiful, she gets a lot of these open ended hellos and is just over it. I wouldn't take it personal, nor would I bark up that tree again so to speak.

Last edited by JanND; 04-27-2013 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM

171 posts, read 530,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That's harassment. You really want to go there?

I'll never understand people who can't take a hint. She brushed you off. The decent thing to do is leave her alone. She owes you nothing.
I agree with this and think you should just drop it and not talk to her again. What would you have said if she had responded to you?

She may be an extreme introvert who was afraid of getting sucked into having to make small talk with you. This is something that most introverts just don't want to do, especially with strangers. Introverts can seen as rude when all they are trying to do is protect themselves.

Also, maybe she's shy and has difficulty talking to strangers. Why demonize someone just because they didn't say hello to you?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM

36,423 posts, read 16,036,192 times
The whole "how are you" thing is way overrated, most people really don't want to hear how you really are, so we say okay and you? So dumb, really. Unless you are truly interested in the person don't ask and don't tell.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Of course I do. And I pretty much smile and say howdy to everyone I see. It's being civilized.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Of course I do. And I pretty much smile and say howdy to everyone I see. It's being civilized.
The bolded; to me that is creepy. And you wonder why some of us don't answer back.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
I always greet people and if they greet me first I always respond.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I'm a friendly type who will say hello to most folks. My wife who before I met her lived in Tenn. where she reports folks were very friendly. In NYC not so much and now in MA she thinks it is a New England thing that people here are not that friendly. She is from Ireland where everyone is friendly so she is usually very outgoing when coming across new faces. She thinks it is ridiculous that you can pass someone on the beach or bike\walking trail and not acknowledge each other.
For the OP that woman sounds like she was either stuck up, didn't want to be hit on, or she is stuck up. Obviously she is either having a bad day or sized you up in a second as someone she doesn't care to acknowledge. I have been there and it is silly, I have felt like saying "I DON'T WANT TO PICK YOU UP" just a quick affirmation that I am not invisible and that we are actually both human beings. Hi how's it going? "good", that is great have a nice day......

Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The bolded; to me that is creepy. And you wonder why some of us don't answer back.
Seriously? Smiling and saying hi is "creepy"? Amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships