Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,756 times

Advertisements

With the influx of social media sites and apps, people have established images through facebook, instagram, and twitter. Every instagram picture kids post expecting people's approval, while facebook statutes are either hopeless cries or joyful celebrations. Twitter where your every thought should be shared, constant updates of your daily thinking.

Technology has taken away the personal communication and trust that comes with having a conversation eye to eye, most people can't they either stutter or be shy and end it quick. Technology has helped us shape the world, but it also hurt us. How to solve this? How many people you know can hold a steady, good conversation?

P.S. I would be shocked if you said more than 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,619,078 times
Hi !For me, technology is helping to find new friends in real life. (correspondence after meeting face to face) Technology helps to broaden their horizons (Extend your knowledge of) the Internet is a mega-library. In which a lot of useful information. It helps a lot in business and personal life. you get closer to those people who are thousands of miles away. I not know people who have lost the skills of real communication (face to face). To me it does not prevent conduct a friendly and professional talk in real life. Quite the contrary. Technology help me to reduce the time. Helping to keep abreast of events. I think the problem is not technology. The problem in humans. Every sane person knows that the real world is life. Take a hobby, business, information, search for friends. Technology is just a way to achieve the goal of in real life.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonasdude View Post
With the influx of social media sites and apps, people have established images through facebook, instagram, and twitter. Every instagram picture kids post expecting people's approval, while facebook statutes are either hopeless cries or joyful celebrations. Twitter where your every thought should be shared, constant updates of your daily thinking.

Technology has taken away the personal communication and trust that comes with having a conversation eye to eye, most people can't they either stutter or be shy and end it quick. Technology has helped us shape the world, but it also hurt us. How to solve this? How many people you know can hold a steady, good conversation?

P.S. I would be shocked if you said more than 5?
It is having this effect. Many of us text, Facebook or twitter instead of talking on the phone or in person. A phone call or even a handwritten letter is still a truly personal way to communicate. To boot, We have become glued to our smartphones. You see dates, groups of people out having dinner and they are all on their smartphones. We communicate more but talk less, And I have long said this.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM

D. Scott,Me and my friends talking on the phone more than the internet. I also am a business on the phone and in person. Through the Internet only get an offer or the documentation.dinner with smarfonom in your ears? It's not in my life. I do not understand this inseparability of human technology.This is sad! Man loses so many skills that nature has given.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 06-19-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Consumers could always try taking a hand at actively rejecting these technologies...I mean, ultimately, we can always survive without these things, right? I don't use Twitter, no longer use Facebook, and have never used Instagram. I don't even have a smartphone, since I currently still use a traditional flip cell phone.

IMO, Web 1.0 was much better, groundbreaking, and more beneficial to everyday people than Web 2.0 will ever be anyway...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM

70 posts, read 88,957 times
I am and have always been a painfully shy person. If it weren't for technology, I wouldn't have any friends. Technology has nothing to do with my shyness. My personality does.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Shyness is a feature of a good man. Kaye Star,Friends virtual or you see them face to face?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonasdude View Post

Technology has taken away the personal communication and trust that comes with having a conversation eye to eye, most people can't they either stutter or be shy and end it quick. Technology has helped us shape the world, but it also hurt us.
Is this substantiated? Can you point to data or a study that supports your claim?

And, even if it is true, does the complementary communication technology provide compensate for any degraded non technical communication? Meaning, even if technology degraded face to face communication by 5%, might technology have increased overall communication by 50%?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Jeez, if people could, they'd probably speak in small caps.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM

70 posts, read 88,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Shyness is a feature of a good man. Kaye Star,Friends virtual or you see them face to face?
Both, but I speak to my internet friends more often than my physically close ones. I do know what they look like, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships