Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM

37 posts, read 61,582 times

Advertisements

oh hell no. Men and women are not alike, other than the human bits.

Hormones influence waaaay lots of things like brain development, emotionalism and physical development.

These things absolutely influence the type of people we become. In addition, there's the nurturing portion wherein we live what we've learned.

I think most of the time we are more alike than different, but the differences in expressing the sameness are so dramatic that the sameness is overshadowed by the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
but... i also have to say - ive seen many a young girls, that were very good at all this outdoor stuff too
because they had fathers exposing them to it..

i once saw a girl take a worm from a boy and put it on the hook, because the boy was too squeamish to do it...something i never saw as a kid.-she took the head off the fish and cleaned it-two boys almost got sick, the boys were never exposed to this stuff-the girl was.

I think girls/women are much more liberated than years ago- whether playing all sports,,,but again depending on the adult influence,,, alot more girly girls in the cities,,,,while i know many women who live out in the country are very resourceful-will hunt, fish, cut their own wood, etc,

so, in the nature vs nurture debate- it certainly does appear, like environment trumps whats intrinsic in many ways
This is it. Your example is of a rural upbringing, which is different that someone who grows up in the city or even the suburbs. I grew up in a middle/upper-middle-class suburban environment, and no one in my family ever went fishing or hunting or camping and we are all decent, functioning members of society. My dad, brother, and uncles are good men, and my mom, sisters, and aunts are good women. Fishing and driving a truck aren't what makes a man a man.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
so, in the nature vs nurture debate- it certainly does appear, like environment trumps whats intrinsic in many ways
Both environment and nature play a role. But I am constantly amused by little boys' ubiquitous ability to turn nearly any object into a gun or sword. I've seen boys with pacifist hippies parents still turn that stick into a machine gun.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What you are experiencing are men who were, ostensibly raised by single mothers with very little male influences. Most likely also, these "men" (for lack of a better word), are under 30 and were raised in an urban environment. Certainly, this is one demographic, but is not necessarily representative of all men of that generation.

I suggest you hang out at a few farm stores in a rural area and you will quickly discover that there are still some very strong, rugged, masculine men out there who do not mimic the emotional angst of the females of the species. Men are very, very, very different than women.
And you'll find some very strong, rugged, masculine "men" even in the most urban cities. I once rented a room up above a Lesbian bar in Denver, and believe me, there were some of those bull-dyke lesbians who would make these masculine men in these rural areas look like sissies! Ernie! Muscular arms, tattoo's, butch hair-cut, truck driver, would park her big-wheeled, jacked-up truck in the parking lot, and just to see "her" walking towards you, your first instinct was to run, run, run!!!

Women are proving, egotistically?, everyday, how equal they can be to men. And some don't stop there, they have to take it to the next level, Superman! Like the 64 YO woman who recently swam from Cuba to Florida! And what does something like that do to the male ego?

There's an egotistical reason that women have been prevented from doing combat work in the military. One more chance for them to outshine men, play Superman, and weaken the male ego!

And think of the anger that's generated in those women who would love to continue to play the role of the helpless southern belle who read of these feats!

I became "feminized" by involving myself in the Men's Liberation Movement that was popular in the early 70's, and reading that popular book The Hazards of being a Male.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What you are experiencing are men who were, ostensibly raised by single mothers with very little male influences. Most likely also, these "men" (for lack of a better word), are under 30 and were raised in an urban environment. Certainly, this is one demographic, but is not necessarily representative of all men of that generation.

I suggest you hang out at a few farm stores in a rural area and you will quickly discover that there are still some very strong, rugged, masculine men out there who do not mimic the emotional angst of the females of the species. Men are very, very, very different than women. Thank god.

20yrsinBranson
While rural men might be a different breed when they are amongst their male peers, I've found through job related experiences they really aren't any more rugged than the next guy, especially when they are amongst females. I think farmers are great guys and all, but don't kid your self that they can't be whiny.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
I think men and women are different.

However I don't think we all fit neatly into the norms for gender that were shaped by culture.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I agree everyone is different so this would not apply to every man and I am a female so don't know it first hand but feel men don't hold on to issues or lets say an argument as much as women. I am a worrier and anxious person but feel most men are not as worried or anxious in life. Though I know my dad worried I think a lot about work and financial so it may just be different worries men and women have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships