Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus918 View Post
And I don't consider using a smartphone to be tech savvy, I consider it to be a basic function of living in today's world. I guess that is one of the reasons our friendship has drifted apart over the years.

Seriously?

Your friendship has drifted because you consider a smartphone to be a basic function of living (it is not BTW) and he does not?

Then you were not much of a friend to begin with....

Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I am thinking that OP often plans things spontaneously - like - going out to eat, going to a movie or event . . . and he would like to include his friend in such things . . . but he can't count on reaching him at the last minute. So, he ends up not being able to include his friend in such things.

And he is disappointed.

I think the only solution is to try to plan things further ahead, so that you can leave a message on Monday about getting together on Wednesday evening, for example.

You just can't include someone for spontaneous, last minute get togethers when you can't reach the person in a timely fashion.

So plan ahead. It may be that is not your typical way of doing things - especially if you have an erratic work schedule - but if you want to keep your friend in your life, that really is the only alternative, unless you want to give him a cell phone and put him on your calling plan.

As for his not being able to return your calls in a quicker fashion . . . that is not being rude. He returns your calls as soon as he picks up his messages. Returning a call within 2 days is not rude at all.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Facebook is so over. If he's seriously looking for a job he's probably on LinkedIn.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
You're probably right, but I think he's really hurting himself trying to compete for a job against younger more tech savvy job seekers. And I don't consider using a smartphone to be tech savvy, I consider it to be a basic function of living in today's world. I guess that is one of the reasons our friendship has drifted apart over the years.
He's a grown man. If he wanted your opinion on his job search, he'd ask for it.

And no, a using a smartphone is not a basic function of living. I don't have one, and most times my regular, no-frills, no-contract, pay-by-the-month POS cell is turned off, and somehow I manage to earn a living working for myself. My clients don't even have the number, and I did not, and will not, give the number to anyone outside of my family and SO. It is for emergencies only. Funny, I'm not dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seriously?

Your friendship has drifted because you consider a smartphone to be a basic function of living (it is not BTW) and he does not?

Then you were not much of a friend to begin with....
Not to mention that those things aren't cheap, and you have to pay for the service. How a guy who has been out of work for three years is supposed to afford that, I'll never know.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I do just fine without FB, IPhone, text, instant messaging and that in a rat race industry. Why does an adult have to be constantly accessible?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
You're probably right, but I think he's really hurting himself trying to compete for a job against younger more tech savvy job seekers. And I don't consider using a smartphone to be tech savvy, I consider it to be a basic function of living in today's world. I guess that is one of the reasons our friendship has drifted apart over the years.
How sad.

Im sure if he wanted to get hold of you, he could figure out how to pick up a phone and call you.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I have a friend like that and he doesn't even have a computer. He's certainly not addicted to technology and we can actually have a face to face conversation with out a cell phone interrupting. How refreshing.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I'm older than you, but have seen the same thing. I had friends who never outgrew the '60s. They kept their long hair and tie dyed shirts clear into the '80s. Like your friend, they ended up living in poverty, mooching for handouts and missing out on life. It's sad, but the best thing you can do is move on. You can't drag him into the 21st century if he doesn't want to go.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
It sounds like it's hurting the OP more!

The "friend" seems to be quite content.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
I can't figure out if this is about bros talking or bro stalking.

All quasi-seriousness aside. My friends don't have Facebook or answer calls all the time (neither do I). Wait for him to call you.. if he dosen't, find new friends. Actually, just find new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships