Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times

Advertisements

You are not married to her. Your step dad is. Her debt and her financial problems should be discussed between husband and wife. You have your own life. You are out of the picture. Say no to her.
Now it's not clear from your posting if your sister lives in the same house with her and her kid. In this case she should contribute some to the household but this need to be discussed and established and your mom shouldn;t see a dime over that amount.

My advice: involve your step dad. Pass this problem to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
You are not married to her. Your step dad is. Her debt and her financial problems should be discussed between husband and wife. You have your own life. You are out of the picture. Say no to her.
Now it's not clear from your posting if your sister lives in the same house with her and her kid. In this case she should contribute some to the household but this need to be discussed and established and your mom shouldn;t see a dime over that amount.

My advice: involve your step dad. Pass this problem to him.
She has already repeatedly stated he has washed his hands of her problem. Then in another post said THEY ask her sister for money for dinner dates. Notice the use of the word 'THEY.' He's got issues too. He's also borrowed - or bummed money from her.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
There are indeed fac ts mising here and loophole information. The young woman writes that Mom has been doing this for 10 years..Doing what ? She was in her late teens if she now is in her late twenties. Doing What during those years? the sister at home with a four-year-old has to buy her own and her four-year-old's food,laundry supplies,cleaning supplies,bathroom necessities and a percentage of the utilities bills equal to the bills' amounts for her share of Kitchen , her room and bathroom,if she only uses these; she has to do the square footage. What does at-home sister do for a living? How does she afford giving Mom any financial assists? As for Step-father, are they actually married in the eyes of the law's? If yes, both sisters can consider suing sue him for contribution towards the money they have spent to date while he has been in the house.(watch out for statute of limitations, but this may be pleaded as a pattern and practice legal matter against step dad who is not the intended person to whom you gave these loans for specific purposes) It's not difficult to do yourselves in small claims court, depending on where you live. Another question: How long has he been in house-married/partner? And does he work? If yes, what sort of job has he? (The court awards can be ajudgment and used to attach is wages;again,depending on which states.)Finally, does Mom work and at what and for how long has she held job(s)? If her cards are maxed out, then she should have no access to money from them,which is good. What did writer do as part of the house during the past ten years if she lived there then and during college ? Bio father is gone -for how long? See, the details are not simply Mom and borrowing.The bread, milk, eggs, and peanut butter for sis to buy:Why should she? She's getting free housing, hot water; child care at some times?;water,gas, electric, laundry facilities even towels and such.Living at a motel or in a two room efficiency would cost lots more I think. There is too much left out of this story, including whether the writer has givien Mom money over the past ten years and when and how much.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM

^^^ You might want to read the whole thread. Most of your questions will be answered if you do.

If you voluntarily give people money with no contract to have the amount repaid there is very little one can do legally and he is just as bad in asking for money. Yet, she just kept doling it out voluntarily and is just now regretting it. It's not a legal issue it's bad judgement. She has also given mom access to see her bank accounts. She doesn't have much of a leg to stand on in court.

But read the whole thread. Things tend to reveal themselves over pages which are left out of the original post.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Before anyone posts more of the same read the whole thread - the repeated statements of just tell her no and the details which were left out of the original post.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Someones been watching to much judge judy

Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
She has a husband. Stop giving her money. End o' story.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Every day my neighbor comes over and asks me if he can punch me in the face. I say OK and he punches me. It really hurts and I don't like it. What should I say when he asks me again if he can punch me? Should I say no? I just don't know what to do.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Every day my neighbor comes over and asks me if he can punch me in the face. I say OK and he punches me. It really hurts. What should I say when he asks me again if he can punch me? Should I say no? I just don't know what to do.
Thanks for the good laugh!

But, you do know that when it involves family it is a much more difficult situation. However, I do agree with you, just say "No!"

Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
What does your mother do for a living? Her problem may be a lack of income. Perhaps she should look for a better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships