Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

So I've noticed this recently and I have to comment on it. I have seen quite a few middle aged adults who seem to be totally unaware of their surroundings. They don't seem to notice people around them or how to behave in a room with several people.

Examples:

1) In my church I can't count how many times I have seen people walk into the building and just stop right in the middle of the hallway and start talking to people. They do it almost every Sunday and even if there is a potluck and someone is carrying a crockpot. They just stop walking wherever they are.

2) In the break room at work one of my coworkers (during lunch hour mind you) stood in front of the Keurig machine and blocked a microwave. She stood there humming to herself and looked surprised when I wanted to use the microwave during my lunch break and seemed to have no idea anyone was in the room besides her.

3) Another coworker in the break room stood at the sink for a good three minutes washing a cake pan and was completely unaware that I was waiting to use the sink. Not once in that time did she even notice someone was in the room.

4) Also in the break room (Noticing a pattern here?) I was standing by the microwave and was the only one in the room. A coworker actually asked what I was doing there. Did she forget where she was and what people do in the break room?

5) In general, people at places like Walmart who walk slower than a snail's pace down the aisle when there are people waiting for them.

At what age do people lose this awareness of their surroundings? Do people need to announce their presence anytime they enter a room? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
I don't think these people "aren't aware" of their surroundings; I think they just don't care. Some people are simply rude and inconsiderate.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:58 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,385 times
I think some people are lost in their own little world most of the time. I agree it's rude, but I don't think its always intentional.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I don't think this has anything to do with being middle-aged.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
Some people are just not not focused on what's going on around them. I think it happens to all of us, but maybe some more than others. The people in your church are probably so wrapped up in their conversation that they aren't paying attention to what's going on around them. It's really not about you and being intentionally inconsiderate to others, as much as it about them as what they're caught up in. The people standing by the microwave or the sink could be daydreaming or just unaware that you are there. I don't think it's rude.

Maybe you could be more straightforward with people and say excuse me or ask them you can squeeze through. There's really no point in being quiet as a mouse while fuming mad hoping that people notice you in the process.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Some people are just not not focused on what's going on around them. I think it happens to all of us, but maybe some more than others. The people in your church are probably so wrapped up in their conversation that they aren't paying attention to what's going on around them. It's really not about you and being intentionally inconsiderate to others, as much as it about them as what they're caught up in. The people standing by the microwave or the sink could be daydreaming or just unaware that you are there. I don't think it's rude.

Maybe you could be more straightforward with people and say excuse me or ask them you can squeeze through. There's really no point in being quiet as a mouse while fuming mad hoping that people notice you in the process.
There's no excuse for not being focused on what's going on around you. I never said people were being intentionally inconsiderate or rude, I just think it's a bit ridiculous to not pay attention to what is going on around you. How do these people drive if they don't pay any attention? That seems a bit dangerous. As far as the conversation at church, how hard is it to move out of a walkway? It doesn't take that much effort.

I'm also not "fuming mad." My point is being aware of things going on around you. It's not that hard to pay attention.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Wyo, are you greeting people when you come into the room? Or walking in and just standing there behind them expecting them to have eyes in the back of their heads or read your mind and know you want to use the microwave? Do you expect someone who is in the middle of washing something in the sink to just drop what she's doing to make way for you? You can't wait your turn? When you need to get past someone in the store, don't you know how to say, "Excuse me?"

Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
Someone spends too much time inthe break room.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Most people are lost in thought and aren't living in the "present"..... not an excuse, just an observation.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
There's no excuse for not being focused on what's going on around you. I never said people were being intentionally inconsiderate or rude, I just think it's a bit ridiculous to not pay attention to what is going on around you. How do these people drive if they don't pay any attention? That seems a bit dangerous. As far as the conversation at church, how hard is it to move out of a walkway? It doesn't take that much effort.

I'm also not "fuming mad." My point is being aware of things going on around you. It's not that hard to pay attention.
Sometimes there is. I also don't think this has to do with age except that older people might have more problems that are preoccupying their thoughts.

Anyone -- no matter what age who may have gone to a doctor and told they may have cancer might be preoccupied and distracted. Or someone whose spouse has had a heart attack or other serious medical problem. You can't expect they'll have their minds on much else.

Just like kids are easily distracted by their cell phones, other people might be distracted by heavy thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships