Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,136,731 times

Advertisements

I'd be a lot more inclind to help the lady with her rent than the birthday invite that reads in lieu of gift please chip in so birthday girl can have a good European vacation this summer. Not quite the wording but you get the gist. And those invites come a lot more often than please help with the rent. My invites seem to be the wealthier the more parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:14 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If it was me, I'd send a box of condoms.
Brilliant!! lol Wish I'd thought of that. It sounds like she could have definitely used those.

I also got an invitation to one of the baby showers and since they have so many 'get-togethers' for gifts, I gave her some diapers for the baby but the diapers came from Family Dollar to save me some money.

Well for the next baby, the invitation had it written out what the baby needed. It stated Pampers or whatever name brand diaper it was, I forgot. And it stated not to buy the store brand.

I mean beggars can't be choosy. She should have felt thankful to get anything. If diapers didn't work for your child then give them away.

I will no longer give anything to this family because of knowing the mother. They never even acknowledge my birthday or say thank you to any gift I give them. It's very one sided with just me giving them a bunch of gifts. Sure you shouldn't give to get thanks but you should also not let yourself be used.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Multiple babies with multiple daddies yet everyone else should kick in to help pay for her bad choices. SMH.
Thank you! This is how I feel but just didn't know how to say it.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:26 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Brilliant!! lol Wish I'd thought of that. It sounds like she could have definitely used those.

I also got an invitation to one of the baby showers and since they have so many 'get-togethers' for gifts, I gave her some diapers for the baby but the diapers came from Family Dollar to save me some money.

Well for the next baby, the invitation had it written out what the baby needed. It stated Pampers or whatever name brand diaper it was, I forgot. And it stated not to buy the store brand.

I mean beggars can't be choosy. She should have felt thankful to get anything. If diapers didn't work for your child then give them away.

I will no longer give anything to this family because of knowing the mother. They never even acknowledge my birthday or say thank you to any gift I give them. It's very one sided with just me giving them a bunch of gifts. Sure you shouldn't give to get thanks but you should also not let yourself be used.
How many baby showers do they have??? We usually do just for the first baby and sometimes if the 2nd baby comes along after like 5 years and/or it's a different gender.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
They're not scammers....they're making very clear what it is they're doing.

This is very distasteful, rude, and inappropriate, but they're being honest about their own lack of boundaries or standards.

As far as welfare, she could be doing this to avoid having to go on welfare. I doubt it, but it is possible.
She is on welfare, and getting food stamps. I would bet money on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ah, but the invitation said to send it to the apartment complex, not the daughter herself.
Not quite, the OP indicated that the address of the apartment was mentioned, no where did they say that it was indicated that a check should be sent directly to the apartment management.

Think about it, I doubt a management company would take say 10 checks from various people to pay the rent on one apt. I doubt the "birthday girl" and her mother want the rental company to know what they're doing.

Maybe the OP can clarify, but my guess would be they want the checks made out to the "birthday girl".

Old 06-03-2014, 01:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
She is on welfare, and getting food stamps. I would bet money on it.

Not quite, the OP indicated that the address of the apartment was mentioned, no where did they say that it was indicated that a check should be sent directly to the apartment management.

Think about it, I doubt a management company would take say 10 checks from various people to pay the rent on one apt. I doubt the "birthday girl" and her mother want the rental company to know what they're doing.

Maybe the OP can clarify, but my guess would be they want the checks made out to the "birthday girl".
It says to send to ABC Apartment, not Jane Doe followed by the address. I interpreted the OP as this lady wants checks sent directly to the rent office. I guess this way the gift givers know that their gift is in fact being used for rent.

If she's that far behind in rent, I'm sure they'd have no problem accepting 20 checks. I'd also think that whoever sends a check also would include a note.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
I like the idea of sending condoms. Not that she would evidently have the sense to use them.

OP, I think it's time to send out your own invitation to this woman - and see how she responds.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Wow! Trash!

Along with the condoms, the book, "Where Babies Come From" for the daughter and Emily Post's Etiquette for mom.

Tacky, tacky, unbelievable.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
I'm wondering how much rent is that one would have to "pay it down". I mean, after what, three months? they'd evict her, I would think. But WHERE is she living that one has to pay it down like a credit card. I understand what the invitation said but it still seems unbelievable...

OP, you did the right thing by not responding. As has been mentioned, if they were really concerned about her welfare and her rent, they would've put the money from the party into her bank!

Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Seems to be happening more frequently. At least I can get behind the wedding invitations that ask for cash to go toward a home downpayment in lieu of gifts that won't fit in an already cramped apartment. Fairly recently, some friends and I were chased down in the parking lot following a 30th birthday party for the $20 we apparently owed for the party expenses - on top of a gift! There was no alcohol and only snack foods at the party, so we estimated that this girl made at least $500 off the party PLUS gifts that most people brought. I refused to pay, instead telling the father that this woman could ask me at work (I worked with both her and the mother) but my friends caved.

It's truly amazing the levels some people will stoop to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships