Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,355 times

Advertisements

A few years back an acquaintance sent out emails about her daughter's upcoming high school graduation. They lived in Hawaii at the time and we hadn't seen the acquaintance physically in about 5 years. We also had never met the daughter. The email was an announcement....not even an actual invitation to the event. In the email she asked that "donations" be made to a college fund set up for her daughter. The gall not only to ask for money but not even actually invite us to the graduation. I was floored. Not only did I not respond to the email but I blocked her from my email and deleted her friend request on facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
Timely - just earlier today, I was venting about the number of "Fund Me!" requests I get on a weekly basis, via email and Facebook. The 2 that really irritated me were:

- "Help me pay for a vacation to New York with tickets to a Broadway play!"

- A request to help raise several thousand dollars for dental expenses. The recipient was a former coworkers who quit a well-paying job (that provided good dental insurance) to "find herself", "find work that nourished her soul", and "follow her bliss". Not sure what she's doing for money now, she's worked a couple of different low wage jobs that allow her to pay rent while she "focuses on her art", which seems to involve smoking a lot of pot.

My boyfriend and I have been joking about doing a "Help us fund a week at the Ritz Carlton!" one, as satire.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
A few years back an acquaintance sent out emails about her daughter's upcoming high school graduation. They lived in Hawaii at the time and we hadn't seen the acquaintance physically in about 5 years. We also had never met the daughter. The email was an announcement....not even an actual invitation to the event. In the email she asked that "donations" be made to a college fund set up for her daughter. The gall not only to ask for money but not even actually invite us to the graduation. I was floored. Not only did I not respond to the email but I blocked her from my email and deleted her friend request on facebook.
This is common too. I will note that most high school and college graduations limit the number of tickets - we only got 6 tickets for high school graduation and 4 for college.

While I find it tacky to ask for donations from acquaintances, the whole point of graduation announcements is looking for gifts. Always has been! My mom sent out announcements to relatives and old family friends that I had never met before without asking my permission, which I found absolutely mortifying.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Timely - just earlier today, I was venting about the number of "Fund Me!" requests I get on a weekly basis, via email and Facebook. The 2 that really irritated me were:

- "Help me pay for a vacation to New York with tickets to a Broadway play!"

- A request to help raise several thousand dollars for dental expenses. The recipient was a former coworkers who quit a well-paying job (that provided good dental insurance) to "find herself", "find work that nourished her soul", and "follow her bliss". Not sure what she's doing for money now, she's worked a couple of different low wage jobs that allow her to pay rent while she "focuses on her art", which seems to involve smoking a lot of pot.

My boyfriend and I have been joking about doing a "Help us fund a week at the Ritz Carlton!" one, as satire.
The day after we moved into our new house here, and we were up to our eyeballs in boxes and very busy trying to get things unpacked, the doorbell rang. I didn't mind the interruption, thinking it must be a neighbor coming over to welcome us. It was a 20-something guy, who said his mom lives in this neighborhood. (may or may not have been true). Then he went into this whole fast-paced memorized schtick, (complete with over-the-top gestures and attempts at stage-style humor) basically asking for money so he could go to New York to audition for a play.

Ummmm......no.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 AM

723 posts, read 2,194,160 times
I recall a pair of inlaws of mine. They were in relatively dire straights mainly due to their own actions (excessive spending relative to income, unpaid bills etc). They created an account on gofundme asking somewhere around $25,000. Again, no house fires, no car accidents or lost limbs. They just wanted $25,000 because they spent all their money on non essentials and couldn't afford the necessities.

This gofundme link was spammed throughout facebook as well.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM

552 posts, read 835,009 times
Interesting idea OP.... I think I'll throw a party to help pay my rent too

Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
Interesting idea OP.... I think I'll throw a party to help pay my rent too
Hey, I'm short this week. Maybe somebody will fund my haircut & color. LOL

Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times
Dear sweet people of City-Data,

I love you all..what a great group of people you all are.

It is sad for me to report that I've come upon some misfortune and need your help. My piggy bank is getting lighter than usual as I plan for my yearly vacation.

Fortunately for me my birthday is coming up next week. As a fellow member of City Data I know we need to show each other support and give not only words of wisdom but to open up our hearts and pocket books too.

I know most can't attend my party but no worries. I have opened up a Paypal acct so you can easily make birthday contributions for my vacay fund without leaving the comforts of your computer chair.

Send all payments through Paypal.com to Diddlysvacayfund@yahoo.com.

Happy birthday to me!!

Love y'all!!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Dear sweet people of City-Data,

I love you all..what a great group of people you all are.

It is sad for me to report that I've come upon some misfortune and need your help. My piggy bank is getting lighter than usual as I plan for my yearly vacation.

Fortunately for me my birthday is coming up next week. As a fellow member of City Data I know we need to show each other support and give not only words of wisdom but to open up our hearts and pocket books too.

I know most can't attend my party but no worries. I have opened up a Paypal acct so you can easily make birthday contributions for my vacay fund without leaving the comforts of your computer chair.

Send all payments through Paypal.com to Diddlysvacayfund@yahoo.com.

Happy birthday to me!!

Love y'all!!

I'd rep you 100 times more if I could!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Hey, I'm short this week. Maybe somebody will fund my haircut & color. LOL

Ditto! I don't get paid until next week and my roots are showing LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships