Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
What's crazier than this is that people follow through on these assinine requests.

While I was still working (at 17.00/hr after 16 years) I took a course to become a Professional Bridal Consultant. Something "fun" to do for when I retired. After I "graduated" (received a certificate), I worked with a couple of self-employed Wedding Planners. I was appalled at the cost of the weddings and receptions I assisted with, to the point I decided I did not want to be in this line of work, so I no longer work in the wedding industry. I just could not understand why all this money was being spent for an event that is mainly to impress others, when the money could be better spent on a home and the necessities and wants of being married, or, funding higher education instead of going into debt for the rest on one's life with student loans.
You don't have to tell me! LOL...Have you ever been to an all-out NYC Italian wedding? You want to see wasted money? Who extends their reception another 2 hours to serve BREAKFAST at 1 or 2 a.m. after they just spent the last 5 hours stuffing their faces with lobster claws and prime rib? lol...we didn't have an over-the-top wedding but it was modest though not cheap because we had a lot of guests. I don't care what people spend--just don't expect your guests to pay their share of the plate plus a gift. I think shower/wedding/baby registries are more popular depending on where you live. It does help to get an idea for what people need but I think it's tacky asking for a $500 blender. My $50 blender is 17 years old and works just fine lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,928 times
Man, sorry Diddly I missed your b-day. Mine isn't until March, so the gang here on CD have more time to work and save for my $$$$.

Until this thread, I had no idea people sent out ruder than hades invites.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
It's not hard to understand, man. Four guys had kids with her and NONE of the guys are around helping out. No one on this thread is going after them, just this woman, because she's the easy target as the kids' caregiver. She obviously didn't have easy access to birth control (and maybe not abortion, if that's what she may have wanted) and SHE is the one getting shamed and criticized. We either have to help out people who have kids, or help them not have kids. We also have to start taking MEN to task for fathering babies all over the place that they are not helping to raise.
How do you know they're not helping?

And why couldn't she say no?

The other thing is the number. If she had only one child, I'd view her as less irresponsible. How do you know the men have more than one?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:38 PM

205 posts, read 245,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
This family I know celebrates everything. They are a huge extended family and are big on birthdays. There is always someone having a party for something.

This particular invitation hit me wrong i.e. tacky and tasteless but maybe I'm being too judgmental.

This lady gave me an invitation to her daughter's birthday party. The daughter is young and had babies that she can't afford. The baby daddies aren't around to give any support.

On the bottom of the invitation, the mother wrote "In lieu of gifts, please contribute to the apartment rent and send check to ABC Apartment, 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA." Those aren't the exact words but you get the jist. The invitation stated that the birthday girl would appreciate everyone invited help pay down her rent instead of giving a physical gift.

Ok, sure she is having a hard time supporting her kids and it takes a village to raise children and I'm sure she'd appreciate getting money for her rent, but I find it tacky.

If she couldn't afford the one kid, then why have another? Is she going to go thru life expecting hand-outs to support herself and the babies she decides to have that she can't afford?

I didn't go to the party and I didn't buy a gift. That invitation hit me wrong. I didn't even bother explaining why I gave no gift or attended.

Heck if the girl is old enough to give birth, she's too old to have these birthday parties. Stop with the birthday parties and save THAT money to give to her instead of sending out distasteful invitations.

Would you have gone to the party or contributed to the rent?
I have been to birthday parties with people that are in their mid 20s to early 30s. I don't see anything wrong with that, however, asking to contribute for rent just seems wrong to me. I would probably not go because it seems like they are throwing the party just to get rent money.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:39 PM

205 posts, read 245,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
This family I know celebrates everything. They are a huge extended family and are big on birthdays. There is always someone having a party for something.

This particular invitation hit me wrong i.e. tacky and tasteless but maybe I'm being too judgmental.

This lady gave me an invitation to her daughter's birthday party. The daughter is young and had babies that she can't afford. The baby daddies aren't around to give any support.

On the bottom of the invitation, the mother wrote "In lieu of gifts, please contribute to the apartment rent and send check to ABC Apartment, 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA." Those aren't the exact words but you get the jist. The invitation stated that the birthday girl would appreciate everyone invited help pay down her rent instead of giving a physical gift.

Ok, sure she is having a hard time supporting her kids and it takes a village to raise children and I'm sure she'd appreciate getting money for her rent, but I find it tacky.

If she couldn't afford the one kid, then why have another? Is she going to go thru life expecting hand-outs to support herself and the babies she decides to have that she can't afford?

I didn't go to the party and I didn't buy a gift. That invitation hit me wrong. I didn't even bother explaining why I gave no gift or attended.

Heck if the girl is old enough to give birth, she's too old to have these birthday parties. Stop with the birthday parties and save THAT money to give to her instead of sending out distasteful invitations.

Would you have gone to the party or contributed to the rent?
I have been to birthday parties with people that are in their mid 20s to early 30s. I don't see anything wrong with that, however, asking to contribute for rent just seems wrong to me. I would probably not go because it seems like they are throwing the party just to get rent money.

P.S. I was curious as to the price of rent and I did look up these apartments at 123 Main St in Anytown, USA and I couldn't seem to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships