Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are not a member of one specific church but we go to church often. We always try to go to the service an hour early and chat with the people waiting for the service to start. Many places have set up food and drink in the lobby and there are quite a few people standing around and chatting. Nearly everyone we meet at church is so nice.

I wonder if those same people would be as nice if we met them in our neighborhood or at work? Or is it the church experience that makes many people so friendly and nice? Or maybe people who are active in the church view people as God's children and feel that part of their role in the community is to be nice to everyone. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Do you really arrive an HOUR early??? The altar guild probably wonders if you spent the night.

Honestly, I think that real Christians want to make people feel welcome by sharing the love of Christ, which is what they are supposed to do.

However, I think this thread will get locked because the anti-religion folks will find it in 3 ... 2... 1....

Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,082 times
I bet you smile and greet folks nicely and they react the same .. church si good if thats where your comfortable at but honestly I bet your just nice to folks and they give that niceness back to you .. ::smiles:: a smile goes along ways

Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Nice people can be found anywhere and everywhere!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:26 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My wife and I are not a member of one specific church but we go to church often. We always try to go to the service an hour early and chat with the people waiting for the service to start. Many places have set up food and drink in the lobby and there are quite a few people standing around and chatting. Nearly everyone we meet at church is so nice.

I wonder if those same people would be as nice if we met them in our neighborhood or at work? Or is it the church experience that makes many people so friendly and nice? Or maybe people who are active in the church view people as God's children and feel that part of their role in the community is to be nice to everyone. What do you think?

how large is the city you live?

You haven't heard from these nice people again? Ever?

That speaks volumes.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
In the south they have an expression: " Well, Bless your little heart". It sounds so sweet and warm.

Until you know what it really means. (Rhymes with duck you).

Could be that people feel like being nice in church, or that everyone puts on good behavior for that hour or two of the week, or they are bored (why else would u show up one hour early for a service?), or that they are genuinely nice.

Listen twice; act once. They might be part of the secret Tupperware or Mary Kay or Amway scheme.

Or they could simply be nice people who are lonely and like/need to chat.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Funny, I find that actually the opposite is true.

Many are angry lying backstabbers and some of the worst people I have ever dealt with.
That's many, not all.

Maybe they are only super nice when in church.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
That's because they don't know you enough yet. When they do figure you out, they'll need an exorcist.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,276,394 times
They're trying to recruit you. Of course they're going to put their best foot forward.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
how large is the city you live?

You haven't heard from these nice people again? Ever?

That speaks volumes.

Read his other posts and you'll understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships