Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:20 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.

I just don't care to play by their rules anymore!

In the past I worked so hard to try to act mainstream and normal and be like most everyone else. I did not want to say the wrong thing and feared being outspoken or talkative thinking I would lose the respect of people by saying or doing something unusual.

Now I enjoy being kind of different and like to say things to people I meet that challenge them and see what they will say or do. A study in human nature. Not weird like mental case just a bit eccentric.

Would it bother you if people said you were weird or eccentric, or do you try hard to be normal?

I got past that in my teens and do my own thing and don't care what people in general think. It's very freeing to be authentic and true to yourself but I think the need to challenge might be you need validation still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I got past that in my teens and do my own thing and don't care what people in general think. It's very freeing to be authentic and true to yourself but I think the need to challenge might be you need validation still.
Yeah, I think it's sad that the OP couldn't really be himself until retirement. That's most of a lifetime spent wearing a straight-jacket. Well, at least he's allowing himself to enjoy life, now. BTW, it's been 3 years since he started the thread. He's long gone.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:34 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
What is normal? I've seen so many variations of it that now I'm confused.
2 quotations:

"NORMAL is only a setting on the washing machine."

"Everyone seems normal at first, until you get to know them."

Old 09-24-2017, 12:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
No, outside of the City Data Board, I don't say things to get people angry or try to push anyone's buttons.

Regardless, it is hard to be an eccentric in our country which encourages conformity. People like to say they welcome diversity but in reality most people want you to act like them and be like them. It's easier to make friends and get people to like and respect you if you are boring and normal.

speak for yourself. I have a group of wonderful friends who are just as quirky and wonderful and non conformist.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Oh I LOVE to keep them guessing. I know most around here think I have totally gone off my rocker. I kind of like to screw with them. Not in a harmful way. Just my way of life that brings me joy and humor. I never really let on to what is happening in my life. I mostly stick to myself. I enjoy people, some times. I also enjoy being perfectly alone doing my own thing and I am good at entertaining myself. Most of my funning around is the creations in my yard , and house, that can barely be seen from the road. So people some times peek in at my oddities I call it art. Hahahaha when some one finally does get the nerve to ask to see all of it they are surprised and most really love it then look at little old me and go REALLY????? Yep this is what is going on in my brain.And I do not even drink or do drugs. I do not need either to be this cray it comes naturally. LOL Loving every minute of it. I want to use up every bit of life I can while I still can.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:21 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I think it's sad that the OP couldn't really be himself until retirement. That's most of a lifetime spent wearing a straight-jacket. Well, at least he's allowing himself to enjoy life, now. BTW, it's been 3 years since he started the thread. He's long gone.

Oh he was around a long time and has posted many stories, some from different perspectives! ie as the wife, or as the son, or the brother!!

Old 09-24-2017, 04:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I can think of no greater compliment than to be called weird.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
It's easier to stop caring what other people think about you.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's easier to stop caring what other people think about you.
I hear this a lot....especially here on CD. I agree (to a point) and not trying to undermine anyone who thinks this train of thought. I think a person should obviously "be themselves" around others, but I also think most people WANT others to "like" them, whether they are weird/eccentric or not. They may not announce that to the world, but that is always in the back of their mind.

So it may be easy for some to not care what others think about them, there is also a very large percentage who do care what others think about them.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Eccentric is building a castle from seashells without a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships