Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh please...
Sounds like you and your friends are oh-so-boring!

I DO have a life, and I DO use Facebook. And my experience is totally NOT how you describe yours.
I can relate to what he's talking about but I admit that some of my friends...and probably me!...ARE boring. I have cousins who, if they weren't close cousins, I would block. They have nothing to say unless it's about guns, religion or politics. It just gets reaaallllly old. Luckily my scrolling skills are top notch! lol

I joined Facebook expressly to keep up with my far flung family. Well, not terribly far flung but far enough away we rarely see one another. My kids, grkids, nieces, nephews, cousins and cousin's kids. Great grkids aren't old enough for FB yet but who knows? The oldest is nine now. Others are about a dozen friends I've known for 15 years from different online forums. Some I've met in person. They are the ones who have the most interesting posts and I enjoy those.

If I added ALL my cousin's and their kids I'd have a couple hundred 'friends', but some of them I don't even know. Others I haven't seen since they were babies/little kids. I can keep up with them through their parents/other relatives though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:18 AM

24 posts, read 26,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I always get a "long pause" from people when I tell them that I don't use Facebook. It's funny that about 6 years ago, that reaction didn't exist.

When did Facebook explode in popularity? 2008? Jobs also became scarce in 2008. Between 08 and 14, I've been struggling to find work, struggling to keep a girlfriend who I hoped to marry, then worked a job in a building with elderly, grumpy, people. It's been an unpleasant few years.

I've been so focused on work, and a home, and everything else, I haven't paid attention to news, music, politics, social trends. Including Facebook, and why I would need it. But I'm in a new environment, that's a better fit for singles and for my stage in life.

Is it "bad" or "a bad sign" if my friend count is low? Is it better to have an account with little activity than it is to not have one? Is it acceptable to not think of Facebook as the popularity contest that I think it is?

I don't care what people think of me, but if I 100% didn't care, I wouldn't consider creating an account, and I'd continue observing "that" nonverbal reaction from people.

From the perspective of somebody who wants to quit living in survival mode and meet new people, should I start building my Facebook account, or should I abandon it? Like I said, I recently moved, and there are classified sales groups on Facebook, for used furniture and other things I could use for my apartment . If I inquire about an item on a virtual yard sale, would a seller think that I'm suspicious if my account is empty?
unless you want to get spammed by other people's interests and drama, there are other ways to meet people. i have no social media except this site that i just joined today...trying to dissasociate myself with an unpleasant event that happened many years ago this date.

i actually like living off the grid. i'd rather meet people face to face.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
No, I'd say "It's not to late to get OFF of Facebook", it's one of the dumbest things yet.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:49 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Bumping this topic. This week, I've been trying to sell a few furniture items. Am I not getting responses, because my profile doesn't have anything in it? I did get a reply, and he asked me a bunch of weird questions, as though I'm someone to be wary of.

How would you respond to an empty Facebook profile that was having a "virtual yard sale" in the community? I'm trying to listen to the advice that Facebook isn't a unique culture, but this isn't helping convince me. I just want to sell my stuff, not tag or Like or all the other Facebook nonsense.

I wish more people would empathize a bit more with others, since this recession started. Some people are functioning okay, but they still suffered lots of material or frivolous losses in their lives... such as missing out on the Facebook phenomenon.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:39 AM

165 posts, read 194,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have no desire to join FakeBook (oops, sorry, FaceBook); however, I know folks who value the site as a means of keeping in touch with relatives who live all across the USA as they keep up to date and share family photos to all at once v. sending e-mails.
Although I earlier in another thread admitted to only joining Facebook because my employer asked me to in order to post and help moderate our page, I did get back into a regular correspondence which veers into occasional telephone calls with a cousin with whom I share many good, early memories. I can also see what our niece is doing without having to rely on others to whom I am not close to get news of her. This has been the best by-product of my joining. I also at least touched base with a former co-worker whose help I have always appreciated during the time we worked together.

Although I could take or leave Facebook, these are the good results of having joined.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
I am also not on FB you are not the only one.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Bumping this topic. This week, I've been trying to sell a few furniture items. Am I not getting responses, because my profile doesn't have anything in it? I did get a reply, and he asked me a bunch of weird questions, as though I'm someone to be wary of.

How would you respond to an empty Facebook profile that was having a "virtual yard sale" in the community? I'm trying to listen to the advice that Facebook isn't a unique culture, but this isn't helping convince me. I just want to sell my stuff, not tag or Like or all the other Facebook nonsense.

I wish more people would empathize a bit more with others, since this recession started. Some people are functioning okay, but they still suffered lots of material or frivolous losses in their lives... such as missing out on the Facebook phenomenon.
You're probably not getting responses because that isn't really what Facebook is for. It's social networking with family, friends, old classmates. You're essentially trying to sell things to an audience that isn't looking to buy.

There are a number of websites out there dedicated to buying and selling where you would likely have success. Another thing on Facebook, you can search out groups for buying and selling stuff, within your city or county, and join that specific group/page to advertise what you're selling.

Last edited by Katnan; 11-20-2014 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: added another thought

Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
Quote:

I'm a bit confused as to where you are posting these items for sale. Are they on your own personal profile page? How would people find your page to see that you have items for sale?

I believe another poster mentioned that there are other sites dedicated to selling items. I have to agree that you might have better luck using one of those.

I use facebook to keep up with friends, it's easy to have group conversations and share items of interest. I also belong to a great number of groups where I can interact with people who share my interests, yet I've not actually met them in real life. Some may scoff at that, but I have met some wonderful people this way, people who have become my friends because of shared interests.

People use facebook for different reasons, there is no wrong or right way. It's up to each individual to decide how and if they want to use it as a tool to keep in touch with old friends and/or make new ones.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You're probably not getting responses because that isn't really what Facebook is for. It's social networking with family, friends, old classmates. You're essentially trying to sell things to an audience that isn't looking to buy.

There are a number of websites out there dedicated to buying and selling where you would likely have success. Another thing on Facebook, you can search out groups for buying and selling stuff, within your city or county, and join that specific group/page to advertise what you're selling.
Look and see if your community, or one nearby, has a facebook page set up for this type of thing, and/or swapping items. Many do.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Yes, I made a request to join the virtual yard sale group for my community, and I only made posts on that group. I'm doing just what the group encourages me to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships