Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, in all sincerity, that is exactly what makes her sound like a loser to me.

But again, my values lie elsewhere
And those values ain't more correct than anyone else's.

Quote:
So, one who doesn't have to work, and therefore doesn't, makes one a loser?

smh... some people just fail to see their own illogical thought process.
You can say that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So, one who doesn't have to work, and therefore doesn't, makes one a loser?

smh... some people just fail to see their own illogical thought process.
I don't consider someone who doesn't work a "loser."

What I do think is that it's a very unfulfilling life. If you did nothing your entire life, just eat, sleep, and bake pies... what do you have to show for your time on earth?

Most people search for a purpose in life. Be it starting a family and having children, doing charitable works, working and providing for a better life for your family... something. "Work" is just one thing that could be done.

When I am near death, I want to know that my time on this earth mattered. To me, that means I need to do something with my time that is meaningful.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I don't consider someone who doesn't work a "loser."

What I do think is that it's a very unfulfilling life. If you did nothing your entire life, just eat, sleep, and bake pies... what do you have to show for your time on earth?

Most people search for a purpose in life. Be it starting a family and having children, doing charitable works, working and providing for a better life for your family... something. "Work" is just one thing that could be done.

When I am near death, I want to know that my time on this earth mattered. To me, that means I need to do something with my time that is meaningful.
Pretty much my thoughts too - well said

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Work=fulfillment? That's a load of crap. One doesn't have to work to be fulfilled.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
"Work" is just one thing that could be done.
I think some people are getting so hung up on the fact that many people don't like their jobs, that they're completely missing what some of us are saying.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Work=fulfillment? That's a load of crap. One doesn't have to work to be fulfilled.
I don't think any of us mean "work" as in the drudgery of a job. We all know there are a lot of jobs that are pretty unappealing, boring or even gross. Not all "work" is something you get paid for either.

By "work" we mean something productive that requires commitment and self-discipline - something that somehow contributes to the world and takes the focus off of purely self.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
Yes, I have one and yes.

It's less my family, more my grandma. She just believes that because I don't work I am lazy. It angers her and she expresses her opinion about it. It makes things weird when I visit.

I don't know how to stand up to her without disrespecting her. I'm not very confrontational.

Thanks just looking for opinions.

allieoxenfree, Your grandma does have some wisdom. More than likely she did live during the great depression and she knows what its like to struggle. As for your dad and mom, they all love you and don't want to rely upon your inheritance. It can be there one day and gone the next.
I do think working a job, even if its part time is good for the soul. You learn to interact with people, learn the value of a dollar, responsibility and even respect. You may even learn more about something that will benefit you later in life. Many people that I know who are well off, still work. They like to hide their wealth, live modestly and work hard for the money they allow themselves to actually live on. For example I know my uncle is very well off but by the house they live in, their life style and all that you would never know.

You're going to do what you would like, but give it a try. You never know you might actually like it.

ETA: My grandma worked a job during WWII in DC. It was the only job she ever worked. However to this day she will not tell a single word of what she did. Only that it was a top secret job and that she worked with the granddaddy of computers. She even has a letter stating what she did and it is hidden in her house. When she talks about that time, she is so proud of her accomplishments during that time.
To this day I think my grandma is quite a remarkable woman. Working in DC during WWII, she sang with some local bands, after she married my grandpa raised 4 kids as a military wife and baked like her mama all while being an amputee. I strive to be a lot like her because she is such a strong woman.

Last edited by ladybug07; 10-16-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Didn't think you were and I'm not either

I just prefer deep waters to shallow streams.
Your deep water might be a barely gurgling creek to someone else. It's all subjective and relative.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 PM

21 posts, read 31,784 times
Quote:
Yep.

Personally I want my son her age to meet a woman of more depth than this, but that's just me.
I would also have you as an inlaw which would be.... interesting.

Hope your son finds the girl of his dreams.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
I don't think any of us mean "work" as in the drudgery of a job. We all know there are a lot of jobs that are pretty unappealing, boring or even gross. Not all "work" is something you get paid for either.

By "work" we mean something productive that requires commitment and self-discipline - something that somehow contributes to the world and takes the focus off of purely self.
Baking pies is productive, and if she gives away some of them or donates them to a soup kitchen, she'd satisfy your 'being productive' component as well as the altruistic component!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships