Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 PM

21 posts, read 31,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Yeah she sure sounds like a real loser with all her unearned, free money, and reprehensible lifestyle of excess!
Haha. Actually, people who meet me normally love me! I have never been called a loser or shallow, at least not to my face. But hey.

My values have nothing to do with money. I love making friends, helping them, learning as much as I can and having fun.

Oh, and making the perfect crockpot roast. Totally shallow, but it's a priority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:30 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I'm telling you, AllieAlllieOxenFree, you have a future in fiction writing. I bet you could spin a tale that would engage all sorts of readers.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Could be a person that works and does what some consider to be very productive things with their time doesn't do a thing that positively affects another person in their life.
Could be the op affects people on a day to day basis in a very positive manner, making them smile and feel good about themselves and that alone is more than some people can manage to accomplish with all their efforts.
If the op is happy and makes others happy, it can be said to be a very good and worthwhile life.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
I don't work at all and this upsets my family though more so my grandmother. I'm 25 and have never had a job (besides babysitting a few times) though I did graduate from college. During the first half of my junior year my grandpa passed away and I got an inheritance. After graduating, I chose not to apply for jobs. Instead, I travelled and decided to hold off working. Perfect decision for me, but my family doesn't think so.

My dad is upset I don't work but he's more passive aggressive about it. My mom is nicer about it and doesn't care too much but she still worries me and mentions me picking up a job here and there. My grandma (on my dad's side) has been awful to me about it. She's an opinionated, very in-your-face, blunt person and she thinks I'm lazy and constantly tells me that I need to be working and that I need to have a job.

For the past two years I have been traveling and not home much. I went to Europe and Australia and spent some time there so I haven't had to be around the criticism a lot, but when I have come home for holidays I get cornered and my grandma has "blown up" and brought up the laziness and job thing. It seems like I'm not even allowed to chime in or have an opinion on anything because I don't work. She has said that I don't understand how the real world is. We get along off and on but this subject always comes up.

I don't consider myself lazy. I don't work but my life is active. I travel, I cook and I enjoy camping and things like that. I also love gardening and shopping. I save my money but I also invest. True, I was lazy this summer. I now have a house in North Carolina and I fixed it up, furnished it and slept late every day. My favorite part of the afternoon was enjoying sweet tea on my porch and baking apple pies So I guess you can say I was semi-lazy, but still productive. To be honest I feel like I am just enjoying my life and doing things I want to do.

I love my family and want to visit more but I am tired of my grandma's negativity and opinions. I want a way to tell her to stop and to mind her own business but I don't want to disrespect her either. I am happy with my life and I wish she could see that but I don't know how. Is there any way I can do that? She's obsessed with people working.
You're spending someone else's money on frivolous things! This "someone", your grandpa, WORKED for that money and did not get to enjoy traveling etc...per what we know here. Did he win that money at the lottery? This is why they're upset, and you show no responsibility other than be a reckless spender! You're the type that some folks leave their money to cats and dogs! I was working my a$$ off at 25....

Wasting your 20's is a sure way to screw up your 40's!

What a heck does that mean?
Quote:
I now have a house in North Carolina and I fixed it up, furnished it and slept late every day
Get a job. You sound like a lazy spoiled brat.
Make your own money. Investing is not a job, it is a way to $crew yourself and other people OUT of money. It is just a fancy word for lottery.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Make your own money. Investing is not a job, it is a way to $crew yourself and other people OUT of money. It is just a fancy word for lottery.
I'm sorry, but this is just dumb. You sound jealous and bitter.

I do agree with others that the OP should eventually find something to keep occupied, like volunteering or at least starting a small business.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just dumb. You sound jealous and bitter.

I do agree with others that the OP should eventually find something to keep occupied, like volunteering or at least starting a small business.
& That is your opinion and I don't call it dumb! That is MY opinion, and you don't get to insult me for having it. I don't believe in "investing" period.

OP comes across as completely irresponsible. His grandpa worked for that money, and he didn't do that so he lives a frivolous life. I am neither jealous nor bitter. I am being objective, and I am a parent, and as a parent I wouldn't want my money to be recklessly spent by someone who doesn't value work or common sense for that matter. If this was his money that he worked hard for then spend it on whatever you want, but this was someone else's money.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
I don't work at all and this upsets my family though more so my grandmother. I'm 25 and have never had a job (besides babysitting a few times) though I did graduate from college. During the first half of my junior year my grandpa passed away and I got an inheritance. After graduating, I chose not to apply for jobs. Instead, I travelled and decided to hold off working. Perfect decision for me, but my family doesn't think so.

My dad is upset I don't work but he's more passive aggressive about it. My mom is nicer about it and doesn't care too much but she still worries me and mentions me picking up a job here and there. My grandma (on my dad's side) has been awful to me about it. She's an opinionated, very in-your-face, blunt person and she thinks I'm lazy and constantly tells me that I need to be working and that I need to have a job.

For the past two years I have been traveling and not home much. I went to Europe and Australia and spent some time there so I haven't had to be around the criticism a lot, but when I have come home for holidays I get cornered and my grandma has "blown up" and brought up the laziness and job thing. It seems like I'm not even allowed to chime in or have an opinion on anything because I don't work. She has said that I don't understand how the real world is. We get along off and on but this subject always comes up.

I don't consider myself lazy. I don't work but my life is active. I travel, I cook and I enjoy camping and things like that. I also love gardening and shopping. I save my money but I also invest. True, I was lazy this summer. I now have a house in North Carolina and I fixed it up, furnished it and slept late every day. My favorite part of the afternoon was enjoying sweet tea on my porch and baking apple pies So I guess you can say I was semi-lazy, but still productive. To be honest I feel like I am just enjoying my life and doing things I want to do.

I love my family and want to visit more but I am tired of my grandma's negativity and opinions. I want a way to tell her to stop and to mind her own business but I don't want to disrespect her either. I am happy with my life and I wish she could see that but I don't know how. Is there any way I can do that? She's obsessed with people working.

You're not the first person to inherit lump sums of monies. Many of our wealthiest families live in such a realm to include their children. I have personally submitted my life to the Marine Corps Street college oppose to sitting about and traveling. However, I do not see any wrong in your actions as this has been the way of the Fortune for centuries.

I hope you find something that fancies your fanny. Possibly open a shop of sorts or volunteer. Outside the Marine Corps I would not want to work for anyone-truthfully.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
Well, there is one reason you might want to work. Notice that I said "might want to" instead of "need" to. It's only if it's important to you. It's so that you can relate to people who do work, which is most people. This isn't such a big deal in one's 20s, but it becomes one later on.

I have a friend in the same position. I met him almost exactly 20 years ago. He was living with his father, and since his father never kicked him out, he decided not to work most of the time. He didn't need to, after all. So he spent all of his 20s sitting on the couch playing video games and watching TV. Then he was in his 30s, and he spent all of those sitting on the couch playing video games and watching TV. When his father died, he left him a piece of real estate worth millions, so now that he's in his 40s, he'll never have to work, which is fortunate for him, because he can't. Who would hire a middle-aged man with a 20 year gap in his work history and no degree? The older we got, the less we had to discuss, though. We can't really discuss work, because it's something we don't have in common. I can't talk about things like the number of times I've relocated for jobs, or trying to put away money, or being a contract worker with no benefits, or wanting to be able to afford something, because those are all things that he's never had to do. It is like trying to be friends with a teenager. I get the idea that he's really envious of people with careers, though, even if their career isn't that great. I mean, everyone else his age is mid-career at this point, and that's what people tend to talk about, but he's never had one. So all he can contribute to the conversation is talking about his house, TV shows, or video games. Like I said, it's like talking to a middle-aged teenager. If you've ever seen the movie "Stepbrothers," he ended up a real-life version of the John C Reilly/Will Farrell characters.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
I don't work at all and this upsets my family though more so my grandmother......
OP, There is nothing wrong with not working. I don't think its the lack of a job that your family is upset about (though I might be mistaken, since I don't know you or them).

I would be willing to bet that is 100% lack of direction. As some other folks have pointed out, even if you do not have to work to earn a living (must be nice!), it is important to involve yourself with some kind of project or endeavor which will fortify you has a person.

No, you don't need any help economically, but you still need spiritual, intellectual, and social stimuli. We all do.

It can be tough to motivate oneself in your position. Are you sick of going to school? You could always give a school for the arts a try... you would meet some pretty interesting people and maybe even develop a lifelong talent.

There is a lot that you can do with your time, but you need to instill enough discipline to use it wisely even while you are young.

Culinary school? Flight school? Drama school? Dance school? Language schools? All of the above?

Just imagine the kinds of conversations and friends you might have 10 years from now as a pilot/musician/chef /actor?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:27 AM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I have a friend in the same position. I met him almost exactly 20 years ago. He was living with his father, and since his father never kicked him out, he decided not to work most of the time. He didn't need to, after all. So he spent all of his 20s sitting on the couch playing video games and watching TV. Then he was in his 30s, and he spent all of those sitting on the couch playing video games and watching TV. When his father died, he left him a piece of real estate worth millions, so now that he's in his 40s, he'll never have to work, which is fortunate for him, because he can't. Who would hire a middle-aged man with a 20 year gap in his work history and no degree? The older we got, the less we had to discuss, though. We can't really discuss work, because it's something we don't have in common. I can't talk about things like the number of times I've relocated for jobs, or trying to put away money, or being a contract worker with no benefits, or wanting to be able to afford something, because those are all things that he's never had to do. It is like trying to be friends with a teenager. I get the idea that he's really envious of people with careers, though, even if their career isn't that great. I mean, everyone else his age is mid-career at this point, and that's what people tend to talk about, but he's never had one. So all he can contribute to the conversation is talking about his house, TV shows, or video games. Like I said, it's like talking to a middle-aged teenager. If you've ever seen the movie "Stepbrothers," he ended up a real-life version of the John C Reilly/Will Farrell characters.
People who "tend to talk about careers" are dull people. My friends and I don't talk about our jobs more than maybe 10% of the time, if that. The prob with your friend isn't that he never had a job or career, it's that he was boring and didn't have any real interests. You don't have to have a career or job to be do interesting things. In fact, having a career/job inhibits development of real interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships