Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times

Advertisements

I put a big ring around the word "overfunctioning." When I see my guests doing that, either for overnight departures or after a meal, I say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Sometimes people are so "helpful" they are insulting or hurtful, without meaning to be such. Example in my life: I have a mobility disability, and am clergy wife. All year, I enjoy eating the cookies and complex cakes that our congregants make after services. So I told the chair of the cookie-arrangements (scheduling, etc) that for one specific evening, I wanted to say "thank you" by having everyone to our home for dessert, and I'd provide Everything. I shopped and baked it over many weeks, so it'd work for me.

Despite that, the committee chair spread the word that it was "pot-luck" I had specificially said NO when she'd asked me if others should "bring." I couldn't have been more clear with her.

The big day, I was very excited to welcome around 40 people. My table looked beautiful, and everything was home-baked by me. I rested up and was ready!

Doorbell rang, and to my sadness, every guest walked in with some fancy thing they had baked (on instructions from the committee chairlady). Filing in, many asked me for something I had to run and find for their dish: a serving spoon; small bowls I didn't own for portions; counter space to whip their cream (couldn't be done at their home, "it's a last-minute thing..").

Whoever didn't bake brought the cheapest grocery store cake and told me how to cut and serve it out (from a white box?). Someone brought Dunkin Donuts, which I just hid.

Instead of feeling pride and enjoyment, I spent the next hour (when I should have been interacting and making folks feel comfortalbe in my home) listening to all their directions on how to serve their contributions to my party.

Later, I had to figure out whose unmarked serving dish belonged to whom, so they were correctly returned to owners. That took phone calls I didn't wish to make, but of course, did.

There was twice as much food as needed. People barely ate what I made, because they knew the thing to do was sample each others' stuff and spread compliments around. And I just tried to keep up and compliment/thank the people who'd put in sincere effort to bake.

Overfunctioning. That committee lady overrode my specific instructions. (I'm an excellent baker, by the way).

Instead of my being able to graciously return a favor to the hardworking bakers of our congregation, that one lady made them ALL overwork--again-- to "help" me. I did not want to be helped, and that was the whole point of the evening.

When she asked me later how I liked the evening, I let her know in diplomatic terms that, while I enjoyed everyone's company, she need not have told them all to bake and I wished she'd have let them all just come to be served. I reminded her I had wanted to make it a "thank you" evening from me to them. It got around.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-08-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
OMG, that's like having kids through the nightmare years when they have no filter. ("Mommy, why is that man's eye crooked?" )

That is life with my mother. She's basically harmless to everyone, but herself!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post

When she asked me later how I liked the evening, I let her know in diplomatic terms that, while I enjoyed everyone's company, she need not have told them all to bake and I wished she'd have let them all just come to be served. I reminded her I had wanted to make it a "thank you" evening from me to them. It got around.
Sounds like you handled it very well. Good job.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:14 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Doorbell rang, and to my sadness, every guest walked in with some fancy thing they had baked (on instructions from the committee chairlady). Filing in, many asked me for something I had to run and find for their dish: a serving spoon; small bowls I didn't own for portions; counter space to whip their cream (couldn't be done at their home, "it's a last-minute thing..").
Yes, I've had these kinds of things happen, though on a much smaller scale than your event. People bring something you weren't expecting that derails all your plans. Being on that side of it, I've learned to communicate more with the host if I'm bringing something, so they aren't surprised. It just makes everything easier, and all it takes is a phone call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships