Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yes.

My sister was visiting and brought a friend. Her friend was walking funny when I picked them up at the airport. The next day, she was incredibly slow at the mall (I thought she was just out-of-shape). By the 3rd day, my sister was begging me to drive her friend to the ER at midnight as her giant baseball-sized leg abcess was causing septic shock.

So, I left my two babies at home (first night out without them was hardly the vacation I hoped) and spent four hours overnight translating for the twit. Then back & forth to wound care the next day.

She still wouldn't leave!!! I called her mother and told her to send tickets. Called the taxi myself, and didn't speak to her as she left. Unbelievable.
I don't understand this post. Were you upset that the woman had a life-threatening medical emergency while on vacation at your home? How was she supposed to prevent that? Is there more to this, as in: you suspect she visited just to get superior medical care in your town?

I don't mean to sound like I'm chiding - I just really don't understand, and think there must be more to your outrage.

Last edited by Mimidae; 03-17-2015 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
This guy sounded like a nightmare to be around. Some people just don't care or know how to behave, But it takes a real cold selfish jerk to not want to give back to someone showing such great hospitality and worse act like the OP's guest. I have super patience but would have shown him the door by the end of day 1. If you ever host someone again, I hope they are as kind and as patient as you are.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I would have never offered to drive him everywhere like you did. Great giving him a place to stay, but don't offer to chauffeur someone around. I would have said rent a car period. If he didn't want to and wanted me to take him everywhere I would have said no.

You teach people how to treat you. Initially you were bending to his will until it got to be too much and snapped. Some people just don't know how much is too much when visiting and ask for everything. I feel for you, I would have snapped with someone that is too rude to realize they are acting like an idiot!!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM

125 posts, read 170,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I'm wondering if some of his behavior is cultural? Not making excuses at all for him but just wondering. I am part Italian and my Uncle was making a trip to see Italian family in the town our family originated from. I was shocked to hear some of the stuff they said to my Uncle. They had a list of American products that they wanted him to bring over for them. It wasn't just a few things, it was like a grocery list of all kinds of things. My Uncle was so happy to meet them all that he brought most of the stuff. he said they we very welcoming but made comments about family in America that he found off putting. He was confused but thought it cultural.

No!! it is NOT "cultural". Frankly, I am rather tired of hearing low class slobs getting away with such behavior under the "cultural" veil. Um- no it's NOT. It's called low class, bad breeding, or plain old bad manners- I call it outRAGeous! Anyone making requests like that- for a laundry list of free items courtesy the visitor- just screams entitlement and outright crassness. Boo!
There ARE higher class Italians- please don't lump a family of losers in with the entire nation . Hmm it's like this: we in USA are getting an influx of illegal immigrants from south of the border. I would venture that MOST of them are of the lowest classes that are arriving- so we see only the worst of those country's people. There are plenty of white trash that I would be ashamed to have other nation's make judgment on us Americans based on them (hear me producers of Honey Booboo & 'Wild Man' tv show?)

Old 03-17-2015, 12:48 PM

125 posts, read 170,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I don't understand this post. Were you upset that the woman had a life-threatening medical emergency while on vacation at your home? How was she supposed to prevent that? Is there more to this, as in: you suspect she visited just to get superior medical care in your town?

I don't mean to sound like I'm chiding - I just really don't understand, and think there must be more to your outrage.
WHO goes on a trip to visit friends with a "life threatening medical emergency"?? This clod sounds like a real gem.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post

It sounds to me like she was put out because she probably thought it was only her sister coming, and then the woman brings a friend -- who winds up being a PITA. I'd have been aggravated too.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
I've had a couple of visitors from hell also. The worse one stayed with us for 10 days. I did a happy dance on the way back to the car at the airport as I watched her plane disappear into the clouds. Lesson learned. She never got an invite back.

The other one was a young mother at the same time I was. My hubby and I hosted a party one evening and after most people left in the wee hours of the morning, she went up to bed instead of helping clean up (another friend stayed to help, thankfully) In the morning, she sent her dirty-diaper-clad son downstairs for me to change and look after while she went back to bed. I gave her half an hour and by then my blood was boiling. In the meantime, I changed her son, fed him with my son, and hollered upstairs for her to get up, that her son needed a bath and some clothes. Another lesson learned. She didn't get an invite back either.

You can only be taken advantage of, and degraded by those you allow. Speak up if guests are being rude and things aren't going right, or shut up and take it until they leave.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
I just had 5 days of hell with an insufferable, high-brow, snob.

18 years ago I lived with his family as an exchange student in Italy and attempted to repay him on a recent visit. Prior to his arrival, I attempted to plan an itinerary, offering to drive him from Denver to Las Vegas/LA. He said that Las Vegas is too fake for him and LA has no appeal. He said, "that's not what I want to experience on my vacation." Ok, fine. I asked what specifically he *did* want to see; never answering me.

When he arrived he asked if I would drive him from Denver to Salt Lake City?!! I explained that is very far and because he changed his travel plans from April to March, I'm unable to take him anywhere by car. I suggested he rent a car to see the states, since he's on extended holiday. He did not want to do this.
Did you invite him, or did he invite himself? It's a lot harder to kick someone out when they traveled to see you on your invitation.

And I too don't quite get that you were willing to drive him to Las Vegas and Los Angeles, but not Salt Lake City. What gives? That said, I do agree that you would be under no obligation to drive him to any of those far-distant places, unless you were going there as well for your own reasons. It's one thing to play chauffeur within the immediate metro area; but out of state road trips? No, that's what rental cars are for. And if he doesn't want to drive, then offer to take him to the airport so he can fly there.

Sorry this had to happen to you, but look at the bright side: whatever obligation you may have felt for your host family has been repaid. And you'll have some amusing stories with which to regale your friends in the future.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
He sounds awful.

But I am little confused you offered to drive him from Denver to Las Vegas and/or LA, prior to his trip but told him Salt Lake City was too far???? That makes no sense.
I had the impression that s/he had time to take him when he originally planned to visit, but when he changed the dates of his visit, it didn't fit with his/her work schedule to fit in long-distance drives.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Definitely a candidate for Guest From Hell. Good riddance -- and yes, after he waved off your mother as if she was a pesky servant, he would have been on the front porch an hour later with his bags packed calling a taxi. What a rude boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships