Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 02:47 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can cut costs by using pre-fab lattice fencing from Home Depot or wherever, then sinking as many posts as you need, and attaching the lattice units.
I'm using the 7' pressure-treated pine dog-ear fence panel. It's $44.80 per panel at HD. I'll put up two at a time. I need more privacy than the lattice, but that's a great idea otherwise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:47 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
But you don't have grass, or desert landscaping, or dirt with desert plants. You have dirt with weeds. That sure sounds awful to me. How about posting some pics so we can all decide for ourselves whether or not it's an eyesore?
You didn't answer my question. If my yard was indeed an EYESORE, then why hasn't the city fined us to clean it up?? They fined our neighbors, but not us. Why???

Old 06-06-2015, 02:56 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I really wish my my neighbor would mind his own business. He is a nice old man, easily in his 80s, but very spry. I know he is well intended and bored, but I am the kind of person that doesn't like help. I like to do things in my own way and in my own time. I understand that he doesn't know this, but it is hard to explain anything to him, because he can barely hear.

He is always picking at our yard. I find it incredibly irritating, but it's not hurting anything so I let it slide. Most of the time he just rakes up leaves or picks up oranges, so no big deal. On occasion he will mow and if he is watering his yard he'll sprinkle some on ours too. I also find this irritating as we are capable of maintaining our own yard, but have to do it on weekends, so sometimes it gets a bit tall before we can get to it (never out of control!). But I try to be a big girl and let it go, because in reality, it's not hurting anything to let him do it.

Well a couple months ago we had a huge portion of our front yard dug up to replace our plumbing. It pretty much ruined all the grass and the majority of what grew back was weeds. My HUSBAND AND I decided to let it all die and later this summer we will kill what's left and reseed it. Already discussed this with a landscaper.

Well today I look outside and I see him watering, with our hose. I ignored him because he usually just does it for like 5 minutes then stops. We ate lunch, I picked up the house then peeked out the window because I was expecting someone and more than a half an hour later HE WAS STILL WATERING!!! I ran out and asked him what he was doing he said he threw down some seed and was watering it so it would start growing ! This made me completely furious (on the inside, I was calm with him). I tried to explain that what he was doing was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are trying to do and he was just like "oh okay" and stood there. I turned the water off and went back in.

Ugh! Our yard is a huge muddy mess. He wasted sooo much water which makes me angry in itself, because that costs us money and I try to be conscious on water usage! He PUT SEED DOWN! I know he thinks he's helping, but this is going too far!
Maybe he has memory issues?

Old 06-06-2015, 03:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Without reading any of your other posts, my guess at the problem is that the poor old fellow is from a different era in America. What he perceives as being helpful, you perceive as meddling.

Been there myself.

Read some of her other posts and then get back to her....

Old 06-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Read some of her other posts and then get back to her....
You don't like them, DON'T READ THEM.

Last edited by Pennies4Penny; 06-06-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. If my yard was indeed an EYESORE, then why hasn't the city fined us to clean it up?? They fined our neighbors, but not us. Why???
Your yard can be an eyesore without being in violation of any specific ordinances. Ugly in and of itself is not against the law. That's why.

So how about those pictures?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:30 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You gave him an inch. He took a mile. I think you need to put your foot down. You should have done in when he dug up your yard. Why hasn't your husband put a stop to this? The yard is DH's domain. He'd never put up with that.

You didn't read the OP did you?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:52 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
I really wish my my neighbor would mind his own business. He is a nice old man, easily in his 80s, but very spry. I know he is well intended and bored, but I am the kind of person that doesn't like help. I like to do things in my own way and in my own time. I understand that he doesn't know this, but it is hard to explain anything to him, because he can barely hear.

He is always picking at our yard. I find it incredibly irritating, but it's not hurting anything so I let it slide. Most of the time he just rakes up leaves or picks up oranges, so no big deal. On occasion he will mow and if he is watering his yard he'll sprinkle some on ours too. I also find this irritating as we are capable of maintaining our own yard, but have to do it on weekends, so sometimes it gets a bit tall before we can get to it (never out of control!). But I try to be a big girl and let it go, because in reality, it's not hurting anything to let him do it.

Well a couple months ago we had a huge portion of our front yard dug up to replace our plumbing. It pretty much ruined all the grass and the majority of what grew back was weeds. My HUSBAND AND I decided to let it all die and later this summer we will kill what's left and reseed it. Already discussed this with a landscaper.

Well today I look outside and I see him watering, with our hose. I ignored him because he usually just does it for like 5 minutes then stops. We ate lunch, I picked up the house then peeked out the window because I was expecting someone and more than a half an hour later HE WAS STILL WATERING!!! I ran out and asked him what he was doing he said he threw down some seed and was watering it so it would start growing ! This made me completely furious (on the inside, I was calm with him). I tried to explain that what he was doing was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are trying to do and he was just like "oh okay" and stood there. I turned the water off and went back in.

Ugh! Our yard is a huge muddy mess. He wasted sooo much water which makes me angry in itself, because that costs us money and I try to be conscious on water usage! He PUT SEED DOWN! I know he thinks he's helping, but this is going too far!
I sure miss my old neighbor. We called him Mr. Green Jeans. He helped me clear up the yard between our houses. He saw me out there weeding. He had a fabulous veggie garden and after I started mine, he would till the area to help.

Sorry you can't have the same experience.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Your yard can be an eyesore without being in violation of any specific ordinances. Ugly in and of itself is not against the law. That's why.

So how about those pictures?
You are just wrong and your attempts to be right for the sake of being right are making you look foolish.

I am not going to post pictures of my private residence 1) I wish to remain anonymous and if someone I know is part of the forums and sees the picture , they'll know it's me 2) it's a matter of safety.

As I already stated **sigh** my husband pulls the tall weeds and mows the grassy areas that remain, so it's still tidy. Aside from the portion next to the walkway, you can't even see the dirt patches from the street.

When our yard was perfect (and it was for almost 4 years), the old man STILL tended to it.

Lastly, let's pretend that my yard is trashed, pretend the weeds are way overgrown (that's a violation, not been cited!), that my yard is as you say an eyesore, you still believe that it's perfectly okay for my neighbor to come over onto OUR propety without asking, without consulting us and just spread seed over our lawn and water it with OUR WATER for over half an hour??? You realize that seeding a lawn in the desert means several watering sessions a day for months?? I am just supposed to let him do that because he either thinks my yard needs work and/or he is just a "helpful old man?"

Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Quote:
You are just wrong and your attempts to be right for the sake of being right are making you look foolish.

I am not going to post pictures of my private residence 1) I wish to remain anonymous and if someone I know is part of the forums and sees the picture , they'll know it's me 2) it's a matter of safety.

As I already stated **sigh** my husband pulls the tall weeds and mows the grassy areas that remain, so it's still tidy. Aside from the portion next to the walkway, you can't even see the dirt patches from the street.

When our yard was perfect (and it was for almost 4 years), the old man STILL tended to it.

Lastly, let's pretend that my yard is trashed, pretend the weeds are way overgrown (that's a violation, not been cited!), that my yard is as you say an eyesore, you still believe that it's perfectly okay for my neighbor to come over onto OUR propety without asking, without consulting us and just spread seed over our lawn and water it with OUR WATER for over half an hour??? You realize that seeding a lawn in the desert means several watering sessions a day for months?? I am just supposed to let him do that because he either thinks my yard needs work and/or he is just a "helpful old man?"
"Pulls the tall weeds." You can see bare dirt "next to the walkway." Eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships