Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times

Advertisements

OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.

I mean.........lighten up and just have fun and stop acting like its the end of the world to have your photo taken.

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go overboard and get you pic taken 50 times with a bunch of selfies thrown in, but just a few photos here and there taken of you should NOT be treated like a root canal.

If you are that uncomfortable and don't want photos of yourself, work on your insecurity issues with a therapist or close friend/relative, and just DON'T ATTEND parties and other social functions in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
How about just not taking photos of people without their permission... problem solved and everyone has a good time.

Why do you have the need to take those photos? Are you happier making people uncomfortable?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Some possibilities:

Insecurity.
Inability to control said photos.
Unrealistic self-image.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:28 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
If you are that uncomfortable and don't want photos of yourself, work on your insecurity issues with a therapist or close friend/relative, and just DON'T ATTEND parties and other social functions in the first place.
I don't like how I look in pictures, so I'm supposed to live my life as a recluse? Wow.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.

I mean.........lighten up and just have fun and stop acting like its the end of the world to have your photo taken.

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go overboard and get you pic taken 50 times with a bunch of selfies thrown in, but just a few photos here and there taken of you should NOT be treated like a root canal.

For the same reason anyone is "unreasonably self conscious" about anything.
What YOU are self conscious about could easily be perceived as unreasonable by others.
You say that "the people I most often see who act like a gun is pointed at them instead of a camera" would make it seem obvious that this self conciousness is not unusual, and should be respected.
YOU should lighten up, and quit pointing your camera at them...can't you take a picture without them having to pose for it. Can't you be more discreet around people you know are uncomfortable with it?

Your saying that such people should "lighten up" and "don't attend parties and other social functions" would seem MOST unreasonable by others. Maybe you're hiding your own securities behind a camera that you know won't be capturing you.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Because we dont want our pictures plastered all over Facebook! Ever heard of privacy?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Vanity. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
I'm not a fan of getting my pictures taken. Not everyone is photogenic behind the camera. I know a couple people on my FB that post ridiculous selfies of themselves thinking they're the hottest thing out there. They give me a chuckle as I scroll through my newsfeed.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:

How about YOU lighten up and respect the boundaries of other people? Sounds like you need some boundaries of your own.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Overall a few photos at a gathering is fine but what I find really annoying is the yutz behind the camera with a bad attitude who does not know when to QUIT taking photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships