Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.
Being attractive has absolutely nothing to do with being photogenic. Some very beautiful people look awful in photos, and many, if not most, models actually look kind of homely without make-up on. Photogenicity has to do with the planes and angles of your face, so the sharper your features are, the better.

But anyway, if someone doesn't want their photos taken, leave them alone. I avoid it like the plague, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:56 PM

21 posts, read 32,509 times
I have some relatives that do this. Every Thanksgiving, Christmas and family reunion without fail. No matter how many times I have asked and told them to stop, they don't. It seems like they take the most pictures when everyone has their plate in the chow line, or when they are sitting down stuffing their face. I'm sorry, how exactly are you supposed to get a good picture of somebody while they are doing that? And then they seem to tag me in the worst pictures of the lot on Facebook.

I think the only line of defense is to change my Facebook setting so they can't tag me without my approval!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evillouie View Post
I have some relatives that do this. Every Thanksgiving, Christmas and family reunion without fail. No matter how many times I have asked and told them to stop, they don't. It seems like they take the most pictures when everyone has their plate in the chow line, or when they are sitting down stuffing their face. I'm sorry, how exactly are you supposed to get a good picture of somebody while they are doing that? And then they seem to tag me in the worst pictures of the lot on Facebook.

I think the only line of defense is to change my Facebook setting so they can't tag me without my approval!
My ex-SO's family would do that. I just started turning my back on them. Or I would put my hand up like a rock star fending off paparazzi.

He had a nasty habit of taking photos of people that he knew would be unflattering, himself. He took one of me while I was sleeping after having some surgery. I had 20+ staples holding my guts in and he thought it would be funny to snap a picture of me. I look like a corpse. Whatever. He can remember me that way if he wants. If he ever seeks to embarrass me with it, it's easy enough to say, "Well, if she was that homely, what were you doing with her for 7 years?"

And I have a few photos of him that my friends have artfully Photoshopped, and one I did myself with a picture of his face on Hanky the Christmas Poo, so if I ever see my photo on one of his message boards, like another ex's of his was, he'll be in for the shock of his narcissistic little life.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:07 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Even my cat is repulsed by getting his photo taken... unless he's in a calm, relaxed state then he doesn't mind.

I've noticed by observation the ones that tend to take the most photos of everyone at a party or wherever tend to struggle with insecurity & low self-esteem. Not all but a lot of them are.

Really though, if someone doesn't want their picture taken then respect their wishes

Old 06-23-2015, 03:17 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
1) It can be annoying. I don't like a camera or phone in my face when I'm trying to eat.

2) Security reasons: People might not want to come up in a search if they have a crazy ex or crazy family members that stalk them. If I am out of town, I don't want to be tagged online if it's obvious I am in another city, because then anyone who wants to rob my house knows I'm not there.

3) It takes away from my enjoyment of an event when the picture-taking gets out of hand and I feel like it's more about doing a photo shoot than whatever the original occasion was supposed to be.

I don't hate photos. I just think that sometimes people need to be more considerate of how others feel about being posted and/or tagged on the internet. It's nice to have a group picture or memories to look back on. I just don't want to be photographed all night and feel like the paparazzi has descended.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:31 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Overall a few photos at a gathering is fine but what I find really annoying is the yutz behind the camera with a bad attitude who does not know when to QUIT taking photos.
Yeah. There was a time when photos weren't digital, and each photo cost something. Also, there was a limit to the number of photos in each roll. Now people don't have a limit and so they overdo it.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:39 PM

509 posts, read 554,661 times
I'll be totally honest: I don't like how I look in photos.
I'm no more insecure than anyone else, but would rather not be in photos.
In the past decade I've gained significant weight, my teeth are quite crooked and I can't yet afford braces, and I have 2 visible scars that I'd rather not be on display for all of history.

When a camera appears I either a) run off or b) get to the back of the photo and try to hide.

Some people love being in photos, let them be front and center I don't care.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:54 PM

649 posts, read 570,303 times
I hate having my picture taken and avoid it at all costs. I can't stand when someone tries to take my picture even after I ask them not to. Why does it matter to you if someone hates pictures?

Old 06-23-2015, 05:16 PM

154 posts, read 120,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.

I mean.........lighten up and just have fun and stop acting like its the end of the world to have your photo taken.

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go overboard and get you pic taken 50 times with a bunch of selfies thrown in, but just a few photos here and there taken of you should NOT be treated like a root canal.

If you are that uncomfortable and don't want photos of yourself, work on your insecurity issues with a therapist or close friend/relative, and just DON'T ATTEND parties and other social functions in the first place.
One: I'm not very photogenic. Two: It's a pain in the ass when people want me to stop what I'm doing so they can take my picture.
I take photos as a hobby, but I don't hound people. If they say 'yes' to having their picture taken, I do it as quickly as possible.
If I'm at a social function and somebody wants to take an "in action" picture of me, that's fine, but don't ask for anymore than two of me.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:36 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
I'm not photogenic in the sense that I'm no beauty. I have appeared on stage in ridiculous costumes and make-up. I have had numerous photos taken for publicity releases. I have performed in movies.

But I prefer not to have my picture taken, and I ask nicely. It has nothing to do with being irrational or selfish. I don't feel as though I need to explain why. It's a simple thing, please don't take my picture.

As for people having photos of me when I'm gone from this earth, I've lived long enough to know exactly what happens to those pictures; they end up in a shoebox in the bottom of the closet and when the owner of the photos dies, the people who find the box will be wondering who the heck is this in these pictures. Know how I know this? Because I have my own shoebox!

If you really want to remember me, come visit me often and spend some time talking with me and learning about what books I read and tell me what your interests are and when the time comes, we'll be able to remember one another very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships