Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly jumping to that conclusion. What's rather obvious is your determination to ignore the fact that not everyone sees the world through your particular lens.

Do you really think it's beyond the realm of possibility that someone would do you in if they didn't like you, your camera, and your attitude? Murder has been committed with far less provocation. I certainly wouldn't go around making myself a prime target.
Well that's all well and good, but me, I prefer to make a stand. The law is on my side, and I know what's right, so I'm doing it. I don't let people intimidate me with threats (well maybe if it was a dark alley and there were 4 of them with guns, but not otherwise), and I don't dumb my behavior down and pollute my craft over the irrational thoughts of ignoramuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many posters have given valid reasons and you keep coming back with insults.

I've made up my mind when you said you took a picture of a child you did not know. And I don't want to hear about what rights you have.
Valid reasons? I don't consider them to be valid enough to compel me to compromise my craft, or my attempts at making it one, due to paranoia. Maybe you don't want to hear about the rights I have, that's your choice, that doesn't mean they aren't what they are. I'd rather imagine you would like to know so that you understand that it's not a requirement legally for people to ask permission. It's called the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Knowledge is power, my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:32 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Sorry, I love photography also but I have to take the side of the parents here. There are a lot of pedophiles and perverts out there. You may not have any ill intentions, but you can't expect other people to know that. A stranger taking a picture of your child is a big red flag! That isn't paranoia, it is facing reality.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:47 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well that's all well and good, but me, I prefer to make a stand. The law is on my side, and I know what's right, so I'm doing it. I don't let people intimidate me with threats (well maybe if it was a dark alley and there were 4 of them with guns, but not otherwise), and I don't dumb my behavior down and pollute my craft over the irrational thoughts of ignoramuses.

Valid reasons? I don't consider them to be valid enough to compel me to compromise my craft, or my attempts at making it one, due to paranoia. Maybe you don't want to hear about the rights I have, that's your choice, that doesn't mean they aren't what they are. I'd rather imagine you would like to know so that you understand that it's not a requirement legally for people to ask permission. It's called the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Knowledge is power, my friend.
Where do you live? You sound like a pervert. Or at the least a very rude, self centered person. I don't want to be around you and your camera - hard to know what you would do with the pictures.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:47 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
Sorry, I love photography also but I have to take the side of the parents here. There are a lot of pedophiles and perverts out there. You may not have any ill intentions, but you can't expect other people to know that. A stranger taking a picture of your child is a big red flag! That isn't paranoia, it is facing reality.
This is a big misconception that leads to other off-topic things like helicopter parenting and discrimination against men, but regardless--no, there are not THAT many perverts out there, and what few there are is no reason for an entire craft to suffer. Otherwise, all of those Henri Cartier-Bresson museums would be empty. Also, no, you DO NOT own the right to your children's "likeness," meaning that while I respect parental authority and defend it rigorously (and I am a parent myself in fact), I also do not think a parent has the "right" to control the distribution of every single image of their child everywhere and dictate that photos of their child can exist ONLY in their "world" period and only with their explicit consent. Otherwise, again, all of those Henri Cartier-Bresson museums would be empty.

In my case, this isn't a case of me running around chasing children and being all in their face, it's me either (a) taking "overview" shots or shots of my own children and your children HAPPEN to be in there (b) my child and your child interact, I think it's sweet, and I photograph this interaction what is in part MY child (c) your child sees me taking photos, interacts with me themselves, ask me to take a photo of them, and I oblige because I am NOT going to disappoint a sweet child and their wondrous and sweet innocence of joy just because their parent is a paranoid knucklehead. (If their parent isn't a paranoid knucklehead, I will in fact THANK them and PRAISE them, and offer them a copy, and also tell them if they ever want good posed photos of near pro-quality to please contact me and we'll set something up--and I often-times charge them nothing at all because it's a way of sharing my talents to bless other people).

Besides, even if someone does take a photo of your child and "pleasures" themselves to it (an extremely rare act compared to how often people THINK it happens), dare I say it--so what? Really, so what? Is it sick, of course it is, but has your child actually been harmed by this act? Are they going to suffer for it in anyway? No. That photo isn't going to steal their soul or lead to them being harmed or abducted by purple people from another planet--or even people from this planet. Is your child REALLY that precious? If someone has a child fetish, wouldn't they, I don't know, "pleasure" themselves to those images in the JCPenney catalogs of kids in their bathing suits--and again, are those children and/or their parents ever going to even know and/or be harmed by that act, as weird and sick as it is?

Moreover, to assume me a pervert because "man by himself + camera = pervert"--that's ignorant, and perhaps even bigoted. I KNOW that I have no ill intentions, that I know is ALL that is necessary. That other people don't understand, their ignorance isn't my responsibility to fix (and it definitely needs fixing) or an obligation to compromise my craft (or attempts at having a craft) and ruin a beautiful and noble thing. Besides, even if you nicely explain your noble intentions and even show them past excellent photos you've taken to show that you mean well, because I have in fact done both of these things, they remain steadfast in their paranoia, as did the lady in the instance I mentioned.

So there you have it. They're not willing to budge from their ignorance, and I'm not willing to wallow in their ignorance along with them. It's just like language--I learned proper English, so naturally I stopped misspelling words and saying "y'all" or "youse" or such when, all of that talk of "vernacular" aside, it's not proper English. I strive to learn and apply that learning. When you've learned and you have superior understanding and intelligence, you don't stoop yourself back down to the ignorant level just because other people choose to stay there.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-24-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
A few minutes later, a woman, apparently this child's mother, came by and asked me to delete the photo, saying she didn't know me and it made her uncomfortable. I was polite, but I explained that my OWN CHILD was in the photo and that I wasn't one for deleting photos of my own child if I didn't need to. Also, I pointed out that I could've chosen to have taken offense over her child coming over and picking my child up without even asking if it was okay, but that I instead saw it for the beautiful and precious encounter which it was. I offered to relay a copy to her once I was home with it, but she declined.
That was rude, and a little creepy. Despite how you felt, you should've honored her request to delete it.

I am a photographer and while people photos are not my thing, I occasionally do get someone. Last week I asked permission to take a pic of two girls riding horses on a local trail system and would not have if they hadn't said yes, as much as I loved seeing them out there.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That was rude, and a little creepy. Despite how you felt, you should've honored her request to delete it.

I am a photographer and while people photos are not my thing, I occasionally do get someone. Last week I asked permission to take a pic of two girls riding horses on a local trail system and would not have if they hadn't said yes, as much as I loved seeing them out there.
I'm going to have to take shyguylh's side on this one. He took a picture of his own child. Does anyone have the right to tell someone to delete a picture of his own child? I don't think so. The fact that someone else happened to be in the picture is irrelevant. Following that line of reasoning, you could never take a picture of your kid in the school play, because you might get the other kids in the shot as well.

The situation you describe is different, in that the two girls riding horses were not your own. You were right to ask their parents' permission, and to be prepared to refrain from taking the shot if it were not granted.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I'm an amateur photographer and will occasionally shoot street photography. I will never ask for permission to shoot anyone at anytime in a public place unless it is a child. In all my years, I have never had a parent refuse, most were accommodating and overly helpful to the point of wanting to pose and not at all the look I wanted to achieve. However, I will never post a picture taken at a family or friends gathering or a party. If the photo looks good, I may email it after removing blemishes from the face and softening the look and they can decide if they want to keep, post or delete them.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 PM

813 posts, read 601,011 times
After reading this thread I suddenly understood why people hate photos, especially taken by complete strangers.

Thanks City data!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
After reading this thread I suddenly understood why people hate photos, especially taken by complete strangers.

Thanks City data!

Ha, your picture is taken 100 times everyday by complete strangers by walking down the street, at a stop sign, walking into and in any store, any neighbors surveillance camera and hundreds of other places.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
I hate posing for pictures, especially at family events. I have some family members who insist that everyone pose for pictures at every single family get together - and not just the "big" anniversaries, etc. Any time the family gets together, there are mandatory, all hands on deck, posed pictures. Drives me nuts. Many of us don't photograph well, and the pictures are sent out/shown to people without thought as to whether they are flattering or whether the people in the picture want them shown.

Good thing my relatives don't do social media...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships