Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 07:26 AM

813 posts, read 601,416 times

Advertisements

If you were at Garden of the Gods and took a picture with me in the background, I'm fine with that.

If I'm at Walmart in my skivvies and shower shoes, not so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 AM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
To answer the question, I don't know. And this is coming from someone who doesn't take many photos.

Mrs. NBP's uncle was especially a pain in the ass about getting his picture taken.

The family started having reunions several years ago and every single picture of him is his ****ing hat in front of his face while the rest of the family is all lined up and happy looking. This is dozens of pictures. If someone got a candid of him he went nuts.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
OK, let's get a few things straight.

What I am NOT saying:

That if you kindly object to me taking YOUR photo I will continue to do so anyway AT CLOSE RANGE with you as the intended subject.

That I will follow your children all over the place photographing them or photograph them deliberately as the sole intended subject, even after you've NICELY said you'd rather I didn't, even if the children themselves seem to not want me to do so.

That I'm going to go to the closest pool or lake and look for attractive women to get close-ups of their breasts or rear-ends.

That I am going to be a general jerk in my speech or my behavior by doing those things, with an antagonistic tone, or by clicking away, say, at a church during a funeral etc.

What I AM saying:

If you ask me not to photograph you, as the intended subject and at close range, I will respect your choice, however I may well also not interact with you as much because of it--not in a rude way, just meaning I'll likely not be as social with you as much as before, because I prefer to be able to photograph my life events without restriction. Also, if you are at a public event and I'm photographing this event and you incidentally end up in certain shots, that's the breaks.

I doubt this will bother too many people.

That if I am strolling along the lake and I see a cute pose of a child, or an adult, doing something precious, if I am (say) at a public water fountain downtown and there are children splashing around having fun and I want to get a photo of this slice of life in a general way, I am fully within my rights, legally AND MORALLY, to take that photo, it's not the least bit rude, especially if I'm as discrete as possible about it. I will likely be discrete so as to not startle someone--not because I'm trying to get away with something nefarious, but because the pose won't be as good if it's posed. I am also saying that, in the absence of a huge objection by the subject, this is perfectly legal and not at all rude. Look up Henri Cartier-Bresson and/or street/candid photography.

If I am taking photos of my own children and your child sees me doing this and asks me to take photos of them as well, I will do so, rather than explain that I can't without the parent's permission, because I don't need their permission but also because I don't want that beautiful interaction ruined and I'm not going to be a willing party to teaching a child to fear a camera, if the parent wants their child to fear cameras, THEY will be the one to teach that. Will I delete the photo if asked? No, or else I will "fake delete"--that is, delete it, but then swap the memory card for another one immediately and then perform image recovery of the "deleted" photo on the original memory card once home. And no, I don't think that's wrong at all. That photo is a memory for me, and they'll likely never know.

If I am the lake (or water fountain etc) and taking "overview" shots, I am not obligated to stop because some people in their bathing suits may INCIDENTALLY end up in those shots. It's the public, I'm photographing it, I have the right to, I'm not zooming in for breasts or butt shots, I'm doing nothing wrong and for someone to complain would be ridiculous.

If a certain museum prohibits photography, I likely won't go, because I don't want to see something of interest and be told I can't photograph it. I'll just stay away.

When I post photos on social media, I don't name or "tag" the subject unless they say they are OK with it.

If people ask what I'm doing, I politely explain and show them photos I've taken in the past. If they still complain, I continue to photograph the "overview" shots I've mentioned, stating that I mean no harm and that I mean no offense but that I also have the right to photograph in public (and again I'm not all in someone's face) and that while I don't mean to upset anybody I also don't intend to be told to not photograph "overall scenery" I'm entirely within my rights to photograph.

One more thing that I have noticed is that you continue to refer to the photos you take as "your craft".
Unless one gets paid well for the photos they take it is not their "craft" it is their desire to annoy those who do not want their photo taken and plastered all over the internet.

Again the bottom line is all of your posts are laced with "I want to, I want to, I want to, I want to....."
with no concern or consideration for anyone else near or far.

On top of all of this you "fake delete", that is beyond deplorable.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I'm probably the most unphotogenic person I know. No pictures of me come out looking like I really do. I'm not being vain - other people have said the same thing. Combine that with a photographer taking pictures from the worst angle or while I'm doing something awkward, I always pass on having my picture taken.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
{snip}Mrs. NBP's uncle was especially a pain in the ass about getting his picture taken.

The family started having reunions several years ago and every single picture of him is his ****ing hat in front of his face while the rest of the family is all lined up and happy looking. This is dozens of pictures. If someone got a candid of him he went nuts.
Don't you just LOVE people like that? (Sarcasm). Yes, as I said, if someone doesn't want their photo taken, I don't hound them necessarily, but at the same time, to someone like that, I'd say--quit being such a p`r-i`c-k. So the family wants a photo of you and your brothers etc, is it going to kill you to oblige them a shot or two? (If they do oblige a shot or two, at that point, yes, thank them profusely then leave them be.) Stop being so selfish, spoiling people's memories like that who only mean well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
One more thing that I have noticed is that you continue to refer to the photos you take as "your craft".
Unless one gets paid well for the photos they take it is not their "craft" it is their desire to annoy those who do not want their photo taken and plastered all over the internet.

Again the bottom line is all of your posts are laced with "I want to, I want to, I want to, I want to....."
with no concern or consideration for anyone else near or far.

On top of all of this you "fake delete", that is beyond deplorable.
It is a hobby, and it is an attempt at honing a "craft." My words. If they're wrong, so be it, but you get the idea.

I have no desire to annoy anyone, I desire to take photos, and to assume that someone who isn't a paid pro and pursues this as a hobby is trying to deliberately "annoy others" is ridiculous. It's well described in that posting how non-paparazzi-esque I am about it. If someone wants to possess the mental intellect of a monkey thinking a photo of them pretty much in the background "plastered all over the Internet" is that big of a deal, that's their mentally deranged problem. If they weren't being so unreasonable and flat-out STUPID about it, then "fake deleting" wouldn't be necessary. Please. What's that photo going to do, steal your soul and infect you with a virus? I have no inclination to deal with brainless monkeys possessing the mentally deranged notion that a photo on the Internet is going to cause the Earth to wobble on its axis. That opinion and point of view is just plain stupid.

If you want "deplorable," I will give you what is REALLY deplorable in my eyes. It is deplorable to see me taking photos at a lake, NOT zooming in on a girl's rear, just walking around taking "overview" shots of a LAKE--and to go screaming "PERVERT!" when you don't know a thing about me and what I'm actually doing. All you see is a man and a camera, and you automatically assume me a pervert? That sort of reverse gender discrimination and bigotry that can potentially taint a beautiful pursuit is what's "deplorable."

Yes, if you see a man with a camera and automatically assume "pervert," you are a BIGOT, and every bit as much of one as Dylann Roof.

It's deplorable to think that I have to stop photographing the water fountain downtown altogether because your child happens to be one of about 20 kids splashing around in it. Really, I'm supposed to sit around and wait until, what, the year 2097 when the fountain is empty? I'm supposed to poll every single child, every one of their parents, and ask oh pretty please is it okay with you if I violate your privacy in PUBLIC by taking this PUBLICLY VIEWABLE water fountain?

Please.

"Why does taking a photo of a water fountain mean that much to you?" Go learn what photography is, and how it's not "selfies" taken with a freaking iPhone, how it involves a REAL camera and a certain amount of discipline and forethought and deliberateness, THEN maybe you'll be in a position to step onto my pedestal and question the likes of me about why I like photographing what I do.

I "fake delete" because on those rare occasions (and thank goodness they're rare) I don't have the patience to persuade someone how innocent all of this is, even though IT IS. "They don't think so"--well they're wrong. Get over your mental insanity and see a shrink. Meanwhile, I've got photos to take.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-25-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Don't you just LOVE people like that? (Sarcasm). Yes, as I said, if someone doesn't want their photo taken, I don't hound them necessarily, but at the same time, to someone like that, I'd say--quit being such a p`r-i`c-k. So the family wants a photo of you and your brothers etc, is it going to kill you to oblige them a shot or two? (If they do oblige a shot or two, at that point, yes, thank them profusely then leave them be.) Stop being so selfish, spoiling people's memories like that who only mean well.................
Yeah it really pissed me off, there were the 5 brothers and 2 sisters (he was the oldest) so there they all are for a picture and he's in the middle front row holding a damned hat in front of his face. It's not like they were all that young if you know that I was in my late 40s/early 50s when the reunions started.

As it is, there are now 2 brothers and the sisters left. His kids don't have a decent picture of him after about age 35.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Don't you just LOVE people like that? (Sarcasm). Yes, as I said, if someone doesn't want their photo taken, I don't hound them necessarily, but at the same time, to someone like that, I'd say--quit being such a p`r-i`c-k. So the family wants a photo of you and your brothers etc, is it going to kill you to oblige them a shot or two? (If they do oblige a shot or two, at that point, yes, thank them profusely then leave them be.) Stop being so selfish, spoiling people's memories like that who only mean well.

It is a hobby, and it is an attempt at honing a "craft." My words. If they're wrong, so be it, but you get the idea.

I have no desire to annoy anyone, I desire to take photos, and to assume that someone who isn't a paid pro and pursues this as a hobby is trying to deliberately "annoy others" is ridiculous. It's well described in that posting how non-paparazzi-esque I am about it. If someone wants to possess the mental intellect of a monkey thinking a photo of them pretty much in the background "plastered all over the Internet" is that big of a deal, that's their mentally deranged problem. If they weren't being so unreasonable and flat-out STUPID about it, then "fake deleting" wouldn't be necessary. Please. What's that photo going to do, steal your soul? I have no inclination to deal with brainless monkeys with this idea that a photo on the Internet is going to cause the Earth to wobble on its axis. That opinion and point of view is just plain stupid.

I "fake delete" because on those rare occasions (and thank goodness they're rare) I don't have the patience to persuade someone how innocent all of this is, even though IT IS. "They don't think so"--well they're wrong. Get over your mental insanity and see a shrink. Meanwhile, I've got photos to take.

You STILL refuse to understand the point of view from the other side of your hobby.

ME see a shrink? I'm not the one who takes photos without permission, who thinks everyone else's preferance is unreasonable and stupid, who thinks their hobby is a "craft", who refuses to acknowledge their only care about the topic contains nothing but " I - I - I - I - I-" who also believes that everyone else is wrong and should get over whatever it is they need to get over.

You have shown in post after post that you are the one with issues and I can honestly say I truly
hope you and your camera get what you deserve in your lifetime, soon.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You STILL refuse to understand the point of view from the other side of your hobby.

ME see a shrink? I'm not the one who takes photos without permission, who thinks everyone else's preferance is unreasonable and stupid, who thinks their hobby is a "craft", who refuses to acknowledge their only care about the topic contains nothing but " I - I - I - I - I-" who also believes that everyone else is wrong and should get over whatever it is they need to get over.

You have shown in post after post that you are the one with issues and I can honestly say I truly
hope you and your camera get what you deserve in your lifetime, soon.
I refuse to succumb to other people's mental insanity. If their point of view was just DIFFERENT, OK, but it's not, it's STUPID. Such stupidity is not going to get the slightest bit of consideration from me, it's going to be called the stupidity I know it to be.

"Taking photos without permission." Oh please. Do I need to ask the Grand Canyon's "permission," or the National Forest first? Do I need to ask that flower outside for its PERMISSION? Can I BREATH without permission? Do I have to ask permission to pee in my own pot? Do I need permission to stare in your direction for more than 2 consecutive seconds? Do I need "permission" to eat, drink, wear a pair of glasses, say hello to someone I know?

Anything else I need "permission" for?

Well guess what Tonto--I DON'T have to ask permission to take photos in public. GET OVER IT. Don't like it, work to change the laws so we can be like those French poodles who have such laws. We're not in France, and anyone who tries to change the laws to make us like France will find me and a lot of other photographers fighting you tooth and nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah it really pissed me off, there were the 5 brothers and 2 sisters (he was the oldest) so there they all are for a picture and he's in the middle front row holding a damned hat in front of his face. It's not like they were all that young if you know that I was in my late 40s/early 50s when the reunions started.

As it is, there are now 2 brothers and the sisters left. His kids don't have a decent picture of him after about age 35.
It would cause him to hate me, but I'd like to have that situation occur with me hosting it at my house. I'd actually ORDER him to cooperate or tell him he wasn't welcome to participate in such reunions at my home anymore and I might even have him leave on the spot. It's one thing to respect that someone isn't crazy about photos and to not hound them, but then there's this too, and it's ridiculous and he'd deserve to be told how ridiculous he's being even to the point of being MADE to go along with it or to leave and stay at his home all alone with his cats.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
If you're going to mock people who don't want their pictures taken as insane, selfish pricks with monkey-like intellect, you might want to stop slinging the word "bigot" around.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If you're going to mock people who don't want their pictures taken as insane, selfish pricks with monkey-like intellect, you might want to stop slinging the word "bigot" around.
Not liking their photo taken is one thing, declining most family reunion shoots is fine (except how that uncle is so obnoxious about it). Saying you hate how look in photos is fine. Saying you'd PREFER I not, also fine.

Acting like a photo of you on the Internet is THAT big of a deal, it is stupid. Thinking I have to ask permission to take photos in PUBLIC is stupid (and not the law either). Further, seeing a man with a camera and automatically assuming him to be a pervert is as bigoted of an attitude as I've ever seen or heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships