Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:50 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
THAT is why I take photos. THAT is why I will never let the opinions of a bunch of ignoramuses pollute this wonderful and most noble pursuit. (Note: I am NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, but about people who think that if you take a photo you MUST MUST MUST ALWAYS ask permission and if they say no you MUST MUST MUST stop taking photos, even in these sorts of situations.)
Why wouldn't you afford someone that very basic courtesy? If I ask you not to take a picture of me, you're going to stomp your foot and say it's your right and I can't stop you, and how dare I stand in the way of your noble endeavor?

I think you have an inflated sense of your own importance. You're not doing anything noble. You're taking pictures because you want to, and you don't want anyone stopping you from doing whatever the heck you want to do. That's very rude and selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 PM

356 posts, read 365,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.

I mean.........lighten up and just have fun and stop acting like its the end of the world to have your photo taken.

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go overboard and get you pic taken 50 times with a bunch of selfies thrown in, but just a few photos here and there taken of you should NOT be treated like a root canal.

If you are that uncomfortable and don't want photos of yourself, work on your insecurity issues with a therapist or close friend/relative, and just DON'T ATTEND parties and other social functions in the first place.
I don't like taking photos because I'm an ugly dude.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Every time I see a thread that starts with "why do so many people ...", it invariably translates to "somebody did something that personally annoyed me." So I'm guessing one person said he/she didn't like having his/her picture taken so much. Is it too much to ask to respect people's privacy? Maybe I don't want my picture plastered all over your Facebook page. It's just common courtesy to make sure everyone consents to such a thing.
I can only rep you once. Some people believe that the world revolves them and other people only exist to serve their interests. Asking them to respect and consider other people is simply asking too much of them. It's quite childish.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,897 times
"When you take my picture, you take my spirit."

Photo-averse Native American

Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,115 times
I'm used to having my picture taken - life on stage will do that for you - but as a previous poster said, I DO NOT like pictures taken in private situations, like get-togethers, plastered all over facebook! I like my privacy when at home.

Blessings,

Mahrie

Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?
It interrupts the flow of conversation and the ultimate purpose of the gathering. Many conversations interrupted by pervasive photography never re-start.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
I hate that my family feels the needs to take pics during every family gathering because of Facebook.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:34 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
OK, let's get a few things straight.

What I am NOT saying:

That if you kindly object to me taking YOUR photo I will continue to do so anyway AT CLOSE RANGE with you as the intended subject.

That I will follow your children all over the place photographing them or photograph them deliberately as the sole intended subject, even after you've NICELY said you'd rather I didn't, even if the children themselves seem to not want me to do so.

That I'm going to go to the closest pool or lake and look for attractive women to get close-ups of their breasts or rear-ends.

That I am going to be a general jerk in my speech or my behavior by doing those things, with an antagonistic tone, or by clicking away, say, at a church during a funeral etc.

What I AM saying:

If you ask me not to photograph you, as the intended subject and at close range, I will respect your choice, however I may well also not interact with you as much because of it--not in a rude way, just meaning I'll likely not be as social with you as much as before, because I prefer to be able to photograph my life events without restriction. Also, if you are at a public event and I'm photographing this event and you incidentally end up in certain shots, that's the breaks.

That if I am strolling along the lake and I see a cute pose of a child, or an adult, doing something precious, if I am (say) at a public water fountain downtown and there are children splashing around having fun and I want to get a photo of this slice of life in a general way, I am fully within my rights, legally AND MORALLY, to take that photo, it's not the least bit rude, especially if I'm as discrete as possible about it. I will likely be discrete so as to not startle someone--not because I'm trying to get away with something nefarious, but because the pose won't be as good if it's posed. I am also saying that, in the absence of a huge objection by the subject, this is perfectly legal and not at all rude. Look up Henri Cartier-Bresson and/or street/candid photography.

If I am taking photos of my own children and your child sees me doing this and asks me to take photos of them as well, I will do so, rather than explain that I can't without the parent's permission, because I don't need their permission but also because I don't want that beautiful interaction ruined and I'm not going to be a willing party to teaching a child to fear a camera, if the parent wants their child to fear cameras, THEY will be the one to teach that. Will I delete the photo if asked? No, or else I will "fake delete"--that is, delete it, but then swap the memory card for another one immediately and then perform image recovery of the "deleted" photo on the original memory card once home. And no, I don't think that's wrong at all. That photo is a memory for me, and they'll likely never know.

If I am the lake (or water fountain etc) and taking "overview" shots, I am not obligated to stop because some people in their bathing suits may INCIDENTALLY end up in those shots. It's the public, I'm photographing it, I have the right to, I'm not zooming in for breasts or butt shots, I'm doing nothing wrong and for someone to complain would be ridiculous.

If a certain museum prohibits photography, I likely won't go, because I don't want to see something of interest and be told I can't photograph it. I'll just stay away.

When I post photos on social media, I don't name or "tag" the subject unless they say they are OK with it.

If people ask what I'm doing, I politely explain and show them photos I've taken in the past. If they still complain, I continue to photograph the "overview" shots I've mentioned, stating that I mean no harm and that I mean no offense but that I also have the right to photograph in public (and again I'm not all in someone's face) and that while I don't mean to upset anybody I also don't intend to be told to not photograph "overall scenery" I'm entirely within my rights to photograph.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-24-2015 at 11:46 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 04:33 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I do not think I'm at all photogenic and do not like to see photos of myself. Maybe one out of 10 look acceptable to me, so I like to control the pictures, so I can erase any I don't like.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It interrupts the flow of conversation and the ultimate purpose of the gathering.
When I saw this response I assumed you meant that you were describing what happens when people who do NOT want their picture taken make a big stink about it.

Oooohhhhh yeah...my mom has hated having her picture taken her whole life, it has nothing to do with the internet. She ruined many a kodak moment by being a big immature baby about someone taking her picture. She ruined many a reminiscence by focusing all attention on how bad the picture is of her instead of saying anything nice about the photo/event/other participants. She is terribly insecure about her looks and complained bitterly about her less attractive features my whole life, which was not a good lesson for me in self confidence. It has been very easy for me to avoid her bad social skills but harder for me to feel truly confident about my looks.

As a full blown narcissist, she'll accept any attention at all, no matter how negative. All her insistence on not having her picture taken serves mostly to focus all attention on her. Not pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships