Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I dislike being in photos and I'm not photogenic at all. However, I don't really care if a friend wants to take a photo but when it comes to public photos from strangers they can $*ck off.

Either I'll move out of the way or if I feel trapped in a photo I will turn my face away. In rare instances if I'm annoyed I will turn my face away and also flip the offender the bird. Very juvenile but it makes me happy. Frame that one.

PS the comments that ridicule people who don't like photos taken and say things like "you're no Taylor Swift, calm down" are amusing. You do realize you are not some famous photographer either right? You are just an old creepy guy who, like many crappy photographers, probably think thier photos are something special when they are mediocre at best.
If you simply turn away or such, that's perfectly fine with me.

Our photos may stink, maybe, but the pursuit of trying is half the fun. Click away and have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:53 PM

347 posts, read 425,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.

I mean.........lighten up and just have fun and stop acting like its the end of the world to have your photo taken.

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go overboard and get you pic taken 50 times with a bunch of selfies thrown in, but just a few photos here and there taken of you should NOT be treated like a root canal.

If you are that uncomfortable and don't want photos of yourself, work on your insecurity issues with a therapist or close friend/relative, and just DON'T ATTEND parties and other social functions in the first place.

I don't want my image on anyone's Facebook.
I've put on 10 pounds and am self conscious and do not like how I look.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Because we dont want our pictures plastered all over Facebook! Ever heard of privacy?
Well, that's the catch. Basically when one is out in public, they don't have the expectancy of privacy, their desire of privacy goes out the window. Places like restrooms, of course, are a place where it is reasonable that someone expects privacy but at most parties? Forget it.

Legally, unless the photographer is going to show the photos for profit or to show them in a way that embarrasses the subject, that is what is said.

Now, as things go, with festivals, I post my own pictures. At parties, though, I have my own personal code. If it's mostly an adult party, I might post but usually, especially at a child's birthday party, I give a copy of the memory to the hostess/host (and they can decide how they are distributed) and that on the card just gets submerged in my files for my memories.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
I think people take it to such an extreme. Every single thing has to be documented and plastered on facebook... I suppose to convince everyone else that we're all have a better time than they are? I just know that I'm very animated... which does NOT translate well in photos! I don't scream and run away, but I'd feel a lot more relaxed if I could simply have my usual fun time without worrying about all the weird ways my face is going to show up in photos.
Sometimes, however, I'm very glad to see some photos, even though at the time I was averse to them being taken.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that's the catch. Basically when one is out in public, they don't have the expectancy of privacy, their desire of privacy goes out the window. Places like restrooms, of course, are a place where it is reasonable that someone expects privacy but at most parties? Forget it.

Legally, unless the photographer is going to show the photos for profit or to show them in a way that embarrasses the subject, that is what is said.

Now, as things go, with festivals, I post my own pictures. At parties, though, I have my own personal code. If it's mostly an adult party, I might post but usually, especially at a child's birthday party, I give a copy of the memory to the hostess/host (and they can decide how they are distributed) and that on the card just gets submerged in my files for my memories.
This may be the most reasonable post I've seen. Kudos.

The reality is, my combative tone notwithstanding, this is pretty much how I operate as well. That is to say, for the most part, any photos I take in such scenarios either are published on social media but no one is "tagged" or they may well not be posted at all and they basically exist for my later offline viewing, especially for down the road as the years pass.

I had another such encounter just yesterday. While we were eating at a small public place where others were eating also, a boy the same age as my son came over and started interacting with our 2. It was really the most wonderful thing in the world. Yes, I sneaked in a couple of photos of our 2 children interacting with him, as well as a video of them playing tag outside. I was very low-key about it, and I didn't post the photo or video--not because I was worried about upsetting anyone, but because I just didn't see the value in it at the time for posting purposes. However, years later, I can see us coming across that photo and video and smiling all over again, and thinking to ourselves "I wonder where that boy is now and what he's like?" If they end up meeting up again a short time from now and become friends, then those images/videos will serve as a memory of the day they first met each other, and photos/videos taken on those days will be cherished years down the road when we look back on their childhood.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 PM

412 posts, read 546,086 times
Because they have no control. If someone took a picture and they think they look bad, they can just delete it. If they are really insecure then they can photoshop the hell out of it. When someone else takes it no one can really know how good they looked or not. If they wanted to delete it since they don't like how they look, they are outnumbered. Then it will be online with the person who took it and they can't do anything about it.

I'm kind of on the fence about it. I mean typically I just don't like pictures of myself but I do think I look better in group photos or pictures other people took of me with them. It's weird I know. I feel like when it comes to taking pictures you both have to be on the same level about it if you know what I mean. Like say someone likes to take modelesque pictures of themselves and use all kinds of fancy filters. If they were going to have someone else take pictures of them they'd probably want someone who is into that kind of look as well, you know?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
About the only things that stop me from posting a festival shot is a lack of focus, a nothing shot such as where I caught mostly the person's shoulders and back but not their face (those are rare unless it was a "recon" shot where I am snapping to gather data for future recognition), or if there is an aspect of the shot that can't be edited out that would be bad to post. Otherwise, it gets posted.

Why? Because there may have been some who go to festivals and my shots, that catch the people on the side of the primary focus, may be the only picture they can find of them on that day.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Way to blame the victim for your obsession with a camera.

Obsession? Hardly. Well okay we just came back from Scotland with around 600 pictures. Only a very few had our image in it. I was obsessed with how beautiful it was there. As for my camera shy friend I respected his wishes. That hardly constitutes an obsession ya think. As for someone that loves me and wants my picture. I say snap away. I'm far from super model quality and not very photogenic, nor am I a vain person either. There have been a number of people in my life that have come and gone that I don't have a picture of. Memories of what they looked like have faded. It would be nice to have a picture to remember them by. My best friend died when she was in her early thirties. I only have a couple of pictures of her which is still a great comfort to me. Last week I met up with people I hadn't seen in 40 years. As it turned out one of my high school friends and I were in the same room at work when I took care of her husband. Neither one of us recognized each other until I went to her house for lunch last week. Her husband recognized me and I asked him if I could take a picture of him to show the people at work how well he was doing. He is unable to move and is bed ridden. He graciously accepted my request and the many people that took care of him along the way were grateful to see a some what of a happy ending. It is what it is. There were six of us that met at their house that day and we all lived on the same block together as children. I have several pictures and will treasure them. I think you failed to understand my previous post. I hope this helps you think in a different direction.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I took that to mean that the poster was sad her friend was an alcoholic, and this (illness/disease/moral failing/whatever you want to call it) overpowered his friendship with her. I don't see the connection between that and not wanting to be photographed, but it sounded to me as though the poster was simply doing a bit of stream-of-consciousness mourning.

But I'm not the poster in question, so maybe I should just let her speak for herself.

I think you would be right about that and thank you for your many kind words. Having a picture of him holding my kitten would have been treasured and not shared on social media or with anyone else. He has a very negative self image and is a very sad person on so many levels. I'm sure we will never be friends again and it feels like I've lost my little brother. I still miss him and a picture would have been nice. I respected his wishes about the picture and respected his wish to be left alone. I'm just glad the shorties in my life aren't so negative about having their pictures taken. It's been a joy watching them grow up in real life and on film.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I dislike being in photos and I'm not photogenic at all. However, I don't really care if a friend wants to take a photo but when it comes to public photos from strangers they can $*ck off.

Either I'll move out of the way or if I feel trapped in a photo I will turn my face away. In rare instances if I'm annoyed I will turn my face away and also flip the offender the bird. Very juvenile but it makes me happy. Frame that one.

"Frame THIS."

I tell people I'm from the Norman Reedus School of Modeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships