Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:44 PM

366 posts, read 494,257 times

Advertisements

I would associate with the same people I do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:45 PM

366 posts, read 494,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Cheap credit and a slow judicial system can be used to fool a lot of people.
Golly I never look at jewelry and watches. I can't identify most cars on sight, either. It's a car, that's all. I think I have "rich blindness".

Old 07-20-2015, 12:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Yeah, and a "n*****" is just an African American fellow.

Signed,

Not a Cripple, but a Human Being
A human being also. But if you have no legs, you are crippled. I remember a time when anyone with what is now called Down's syndrome was referred to matter-of-factly as a Mongolian Idiot. Then we went to retarded or mentally handicapped for a few decades. Now it's "special needs" or "challenged". You even hear cringing from some at the term disability.

It's gotten so incredibly stupid that I have seen advocates for the deaf... That's right. I said it. The D-E-A-F. I have seen advocates for this "community" acting threatened at the advances in cochlear implantation that will one day "wipe out" their community. Deafness will one day be cured! And a "community" will "die". And we have what I can only refer to as "retards" decrying that as an attack on their "community". Saying something like deafness is not a problem, it's the "hearing people" that need to adjust. Unbelievable.

In fact, a retard could never understand this, because it is just too stupid. Yet we see it.

Read this. Not only for content, but for philosophy and tone. Truly horrifying.

http://nad.org/issues/technology/ass...hlear-implants

Old 07-20-2015, 12:56 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
A human being also. But if you have no legs, you are crippled. I remember a time when anyone with what is now called Down's syndrome was referred to matter-of-factly as a Mongolian Idiot. Then we went to retarded or mentally handicapped for a few decades. Now it's "special needs" or "challenged". You even hear cringing from some at the term disability.

It's gotten so incredibly stupid that I have seen advocates for the deaf... That's right. I said it. The D-E-A-F. I have seen advocates for this "community" acting threatened at the advances in cochlear implantation that will one day "wipe out" their community. Deafness will one day be cured! And a "community" will "die". And we have what I can only refer to as "retards" decrying that as an attack on their "community". Saying something like deafness is not a problem, it's the "hearing people" that need to adjust. Unbelievable.

In fact, a retard could never understand this, because it is just too stupid. Yet we see it.

Read this. Not only for content, but for philosophy and tone. Truly horrifying.

Cochlear Implants | National Association of the Deaf
Thank you for that enlightenment on what others have the right to be offended by.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Thank you for that enlightenment on what others have the right to be offended by.
Great, so now taking irrational offense is a "right". What's the over/under on when identifying someone who cannot hear as "deaf" will constitute bullying?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
I am a multi millionaire and live in the same dumpy starter house from when I first got married and drive a used car. And no one knows I have money.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No, if I became "wealthy" I would not drop poorer friends---how ridiculous.

Indeed, when I have hung out with friends who are not as fortunate as I have been, I am happy to pick up the tab, or buy drinks for them, when I can afford it. If I'm hanging out with a truly wealthy person and they expect me to go halves with me on a big restaurant bill I would think they are nasty. If you're wealthy you should have a sense of largesse and generosity for the less-fortunate.
I agree with this 100%. Wealthy people who don't have a sense of generosity to their less fortunate family and friends are a-holes.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I agree with this 100%. Wealthy people who don't have a sense of generosity to their less fortunate family and friends are a-holes.

You're probably wealthy compared to a lot of people. How many restaurant tabs do you pick up for them?

If you make $35,000 a year and they work part time at Walmart are you paying their way?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Cheap credit and a slow judicial system can be used to fool a lot of people.
Well, duh.

My point was addressing the fact that people don't have to talk about their wealth for it to be obvious.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, duh.

My point was addressing the fact that people don't have to talk about their wealth for it to be obvious.
Maybe I misunderstood b/c my point was you can't look at someone's possessions and assume they reveal something about actual wealth. Many trappings of the rich can be acquired cheaply...at least for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships