Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question Guy. What was your grade point average when you graduated? I ask because of your interest in joining the Armed Forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 04:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
You write very well - do you like to read? If so, see if your local public library or bookstore has a book discussion group.

If your community has a public bus system, see if there are openings for drivers. Find out what is required to get a commercial truck driver's license, and see if you qualify or can learn to qualify.

If you are not a church-goer but are open to the idea, find a church which has an active program for younger adults and lots of activities. Ideally this would be a middle-of-the-road church theologically; one which does not pressure members and/or attendees to toe their particular belief-system line.

Is there a Meet-Up in your community?

Good luck finding "your people". Keep searching; they are out there!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:43 AM

710 posts, read 584,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Just a quick question Guy. What was your grade point average when you graduated? I ask because of your interest in joining the Armed Forces.
I'm not too sure at the moment. I know I was kind of a B/C student.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You write very well - do you like to read? If so, see if your local public library or bookstore has a book discussion group.

If your community has a public bus system, see if there are openings for drivers. Find out what is required to get a commercial truck driver's license, and see if you qualify or can learn to qualify.

If you are not a church-goer but are open to the idea, find a church which has an active program for younger adults and lots of activities. Ideally this would be a middle-of-the-road church theologically; one which does not pressure members and/or attendees to toe their particular belief-system line.

Is there a Meet-Up in your community?

Good luck finding "your people". Keep searching; they are out there!
Yeah, I do like reading a lot. I've read many books before. Apparently I can get a CDL at my age, but I don't know if 18 year olds can be bus drivers, but I'll look into it. As for community meet ups, I'm not sure if there are any.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I do think it's necessary to have friends. There's a basic human need to be around other people. I do think that I'm a friend-able person, I'm usually nice and polite to people. I do also want to have a girlfriend, but what girl is going to want to be with a guy that has no friends? She'd probably think that I was weird for not having friends. I just don't want to live the rest of my life being like this. Trust me, other people notice. My mom always asks me why I have no friends and it is embarrassing.
My advice is talk to someone you trust or therapist about your experiences growing up. If no one is available or a lack of funds then research online for answers.

I feel for you. I am quite awkward myself but I use humor to counteract it.

Personal interest is always a great start.

Sit at a bar or restaurant where a game is playing on the tv there. If you are sitting on a stool you won't look awkward as if you are alone. Comment with the guys about a play that just happened.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:30 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
If you like driving, perhaps you could think of joining one of the military forces with that in mind.

Are you adventurous? Try the Air Force! Think of video games, and air-driving....You could become a pilot.

On the ground is more menacing, which prompted some questions from me. If I were you, I would not join the Army. I say this to you as a friend.

Those are the men and women who put themselves out on the front line, and the most risk of harm. Put a lot of thought into joining that branch, it is very dangerous.

And as Funny Man above me mentioned, personal interest is a wonderful place to start. Figure out what your personal tastes are, and involve yourself.

I personally think you'll do fine. You communicate well, and I see no reason why a nice young lady or some young men would not want to befriend you.

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-19-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 07:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
How about volunteering? Your local animal shelter or Humane Society would probably welcome you with open arms. Ditto the local food bank or soup kitchen. Some friends of mine met while volunteering at our local soup kitchen one Christmas - they have been happily married for over 25 years now! (no, they didn't volunteer in order to meet a potential spouse - it was serendipitous).

Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
If you like driving, perhaps you could think of joining one of the military forces with that in mind.

Are you adventurous? Try the Air Force! Think of video games, and air-driving....You could become a pilot.

On the ground is more menacing, which prompted some questions from me. If I were you, I would not join the Army. I say this to you as a friend.

Those are the men and women who put themselves out on the front line, and the most risk of harm. Put a lot of thought into joining that branch, it is very dangerous.

And as Funny Man above me mentioned, personal interest is a wonderful place to start. Figure out what your personal tastes are, and involve yourself.

I personally think you'll do fine. You communicate well, and I see no reason why a nice young lady or some young men would not want to befriend you.
I'm actually very interested in becoming a Marine. It seems to be the most elite branch and most respected. If I became one, that would be an accomplishment that no one could take from me.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:58 PM

439 posts, read 516,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I really think you need to start from the bottom and work with a therapist.
I do not think you should waste your money on therapist - those are people who take advantage of others during the difficult times of life - you should never pay someone to be kind to you (that's not a friend!)

Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I do not think you should waste your money on therapist - those are people who take advantage of others during the difficult times of life - you should never pay someone to be kind to you (that's not a friend!)
I have actually been to a few before and they seemed like genuinely nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships