Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
As the title says, I have no friends. It's depressing. I never really had any friends throughout high school and I'm done with that now. I chose not to go to college and I'm working now. I feel like now I missed my chance to have lots of friends because I didn't have many in high school. My social skills are pretty bad and I'm very socially awkward. I get nervous being around new people and usually I just sit quietly. I have never had any girlfriends before either. I don't feel normal because even the unpopular kids that I knew had at least someone to hang out with or talk to, I have no one and I'm not even exaggerating. I don't even have any numbers of people that I could call besides my own family members.
You get used to it, i'm 68 and have no friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
She's fine with me here as long as I'm doing productive things. My local transportation system is big and pretty decent so I don't have to worry about that. I appreciate your words about getting help. The next time my mom and I are alone, I will talk to her about it.
You've mentioned this at least a couple of times now. Let me be perfectly clear - this is your life; you need to be in control of it, you do not need your mother's permission to get the help you need. Just use some of that internet time to find a local program you qualify for and get in it.

There are things you haven't said that may be important - like what have you been doing since leaving school, I assume last May or June? Why are you only now starting to work and why a seasonal job? What are you doing to get a permanent job? Do not wait until you're out of work again in six weeks to get another job, do it now! Again, this is where you need to devote your internet time.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
I just Googled local shy or introvert groups, look it up for your area, lots of potential for getting together with people having the same problem. But try to find a group that meets face to face, not a website, you'll meet and talk and maybe begin some friendships you're looking for.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
I don't have it all figured out yet but obviously the first step is to get help.
That's a great first step. Now give yourself a timeline. Don't wait for an opportunity to talk to your mom. Make an opportunity to talk to her. How about this weekend? Invite her to lunch or ask her to take a walk with you. If you're worried about other family members hearing, send her a text.

We're rooting for you, OP, but you've got to make it happen.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:11 AM

710 posts, read 584,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You've mentioned this at least a couple of times now. Let me be perfectly clear - this is your life; you need to be in control of it, you do not need your mother's permission to get the help you need. Just use some of that internet time to find a local program you qualify for and get in it.

There are things you haven't said that may be important - like what have you been doing since leaving school, I assume last May or June? Why are you only now starting to work and why a seasonal job? What are you doing to get a permanent job? Do not wait until you're out of work again in six weeks to get another job, do it now! Again, this is where you need to devote your internet time.
I know that I don't need her permission. She can provide my transportation though and I know that she'd be willing to help financially if I needed her to. As for working, I wanted to take the summer to relax before I started. She really started pressing me to get one and I ended up at UPS. It is seasonal but if you work well enough, you can get offered a full-time job. I'm aiming to do that but if not, I'll find a full-time job somewhere else.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 PM

112 posts, read 141,396 times
honestly I feel the same way, i'm 21 and graduated from high-school at age 19, I wish I could go back and make up for the stuff I missed such as missed-connections since I didn't realize it would end up turning out to be a negative turn out with me constantly feeling lonely and not having the kind of comradeship with people that I thought I expected, I didn't think after high-school I would be so lonely and didn't think that fiends would be so hard to make after high-school, Making friends is hard and was hard in high-school too since everyone was minding their own business I guess. But for you, you might as-well go out more and look for more friends, stop being hopeless, keep trying and find an interest or a hobby that may direct you to what your looking for.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:33 PM

112 posts, read 141,396 times
Your main issue is that your out of high-school now, you might aswell stop worrying about who is popular and who is not, nobody is popular and nobody is perfect, everyone is classified as a human-being and because of that issue where you claim that the popular kids get the most friends and the unpopular dont that just makes things very ambivalent for you, you are in a austerity of thinking that the popular are very domineering and bossy to be too popular for you to be friends with them, that is not the case anymore in the real world.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:43 PM

710 posts, read 584,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnAzizboii View Post
honestly I feel the same way, i'm 21 and graduated from high-school at age 19, I wish I could go back and make up for the stuff I missed such as missed-connections since I didn't realize it would end up turning out to be a negative turn out with me constantly feeling lonely and not having the kind of comradeship with people that I thought I expected, I didn't think after high-school I would be so lonely and didn't think that fiends would be so hard to make after high-school, Making friends is hard and was hard in high-school too since everyone was minding their own business I guess. But for you, you might as-well go out more and look for more friends, stop being hopeless, keep trying and find an interest or a hobby that may direct you to what your looking for.
It's weird, sometimes it doesn't really bother me and sometimes it leaves me feeling depressed. The main things I just wish I could have done was have friends. I also feel bad about not going to prom, especially because my older brother went to three proms with three different girls. Luckily, I have made acquaintances with some people at work. Hopefully, this will start opening the door.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
I know that I don't need her permission. She can provide my transportation though and I know that she'd be willing to help financially if I needed her to. As for working, I wanted to take the summer to relax before I started. She really started pressing me to get one and I ended up at UPS. It is seasonal but if you work well enough, you can get offered a full-time job. I'm aiming to do that but if not, I'll find a full-time job somewhere else.
You know, UPS is a pretty way to go, especially if you don't have any other plans currently in mind. If you can eventually get into the delivery side, the pay is good (teamsters union), and you need to deal with customers who get to know you, so it has a social benefit.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
For many young people, if it wasn't for school they would never really interact with any other people their age.

There were tons of kids in MS/HS who never hung outside class, never did any extra curricular activities etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships