Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times

Advertisements

Yes, leave the religious claptrap out of this - it's not going to magic up a friend for him, is it?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 11:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
No one my age is usually out in my area. It's a relatively quiet place. I did go out on my own a few weeks ago and traveled to the city, but I still had no luck in meeting anyone.
It sounds like one of your problems is that you don't have any resources. Do you have a job? You say you are not interested in continuing your education, but that sharply limits your options. At your age, your choices are go to school, work, become a criminal, or vegetate in mom's basement. Pick one.

If you have a job you have an income, which will let you do things. Fifteen miles is not "travel," it's a very short commute. Anyone worth knowing at your age is either at work or in school. If you are stuck not being worth knowing, you can change that, but it requires that you do something. With a job you could get a car and look for a roommate. With a job you would meet dozens of people. With a roommate you would meet dozens of people. Meet enough people and you will find one or two that you like, which is where friendships start.

Take another look at your nearest community college. When you were in high school, you were there because you had to be, and they made you take certain classes. As an adult, you can study whatever interests you. Like music? Take a music class. Like photography? Take a photography class. Want to get in shape? Take a PE class. That will put you in an environment with a bunch of interesting people, and some of that will rub off on you.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:43 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
There is another forum specifically for this topic, yet you insist on dragging your nonsense here. Leave the OP alone - your advice is dangerous.
I insisted no such thing.
The OP brought it up (post #125, since you did not read it), and I responded.

If you are looking for nonsense.... the politics forum is elsewhere on this site.

Oh, and saying you need to have faith when praying is nowhere near 'dangerous'.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:44 AM

710 posts, read 584,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It sounds like one of your problems is that you don't have any resources. Do you have a job? You say you are not interested in continuing your education, but that sharply limits your options. At your age, your choices are go to school, work, become a criminal, or vegetate in mom's basement. Pick one.

If you have a job you have an income, which will let you do things. Fifteen miles is not "travel," it's a very short commute. Anyone worth knowing at your age is either at work or in school. If you are stuck not being worth knowing, you can change that, but it requires that you do something. With a job you could get a car and look for a roommate. With a job you would meet dozens of people. With a roommate you would meet dozens of people. Meet enough people and you will find one or two that you like, which is where friendships start.

Take another look at your nearest community college. When you were in high school, you were there because you had to be, and they made you take certain classes. As an adult, you can study whatever interests you. Like music? Take a music class. Like photography? Take a photography class. Want to get in shape? Take a PE class. That will put you in an environment with a bunch of interesting people, and some of that will rub off on you.
I do have a job, I work at UPS. The problem though is that it's not a very social environment. The only people that I have really talked to so far are my supervisors. I'm not making enough money to buy a car, but hopefully that is something I'll be able to do in the future. As for community college, I'll look into it but I'm just focused on working for now. I just want to make enough money so I can move out. My mom is already starting to make me buy my own food.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
It sounds like one of the first things you should do is take a class in money management. With a steady job and no rent you should be able to pay cash for a reliable car in about 3 months. Keep an eye on Craigslist. Don't go into debt to buy a car, that way you can get by with cheap liability insurance.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
No one my age is usually out in my area. It's a relatively quiet place. I did go out on my own a few weeks ago and traveled to the city, but I still had no luck in meeting anyone.
You know, I can't figure out if we're being trolled(???) For every suggestion, you seem to have a negative rebuttal. On the chance this is legit, may I offer further advice? No luck meeting anyone? C'mon, meeting people is easy, you can go to stores restaurants, sports events, trails, parks, there's always something in common to begin a conversation. Friendships are a process of getting to know one another and discovering why you enjoy being in one anothers company, but they begin with a conversation.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
You know, I can't figure out if we're being trolled(???) For every suggestion, you seem to have a negative rebuttal. On the chance this is legit, may I offer further advice? No luck meeting anyone? C'mon, meeting people is easy, you can go to stores restaurants, sports events, trails, parks, there's always something in common to begin a conversation. Friendships are a process of getting to know one another and discovering why you enjoy being in one anothers company, but they begin with a conversation.
I'm not trolling nor would I waste my time writing fake stories for this long. My neighborhood is not full of kids that are my age, I'm assuming that most are either in college, have jobs, or just don't come out. I just peeked out of the window and no one is outside. Well, technically I "met" someone last night after work when they were asking me certain things about the job, but when I said no luck meeting people I meant as in new friendships.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It sounds like one of the first things you should do is take a class in money management. With a steady job and no rent you should be able to pay cash for a reliable car in about 3 months. Keep an eye on Craigslist. Don't go into debt to buy a car, that way you can get by with cheap liability insurance.
How long do you think it would take for me to get an apartment with no rent and a steady job?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:13 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
Can I ask a personal question mainly because I have seen a trend in young people? Are you an online gamer? I have friends who complain their teen agers have no real life friends or interests because they won't go anywhere and prefer to game online and sit at home with faux friends as they refer to instead of going into the public arena where real people are. Not that I am suggesting you are, but have you had any issues with this?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
How long do you think it would take for me to get an apartment with no rent and a steady job?
We would have ZERO idea, as we know neither your income, or your expenses, or the rent prices in your area.

YOU need to figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships