Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So, I have a block of 10 days off this christmas and my original plans were to go somewhere like Cuba or the Big Island etc. However, my GF wants to visit her parents close by (8 hour drive from here) and would like me to come with her...will probably rent a car, stay at her parents for a couple days then rent a hotel etc. and do some hiking/camping etc. the following days.

I think that she should cover 100% of this trip as it's not my idea...I would rather not go to her parents place as that is not my idea of a vacation, I am compromising here because I want to be with her and meet her siblings who are also going to be there.

Who do you think should cover the bulk of this trip - hotel, fuel, rental car etc. I don't think I should as it's not my idea. Both of us make pretty good money but she makes a lot more than me.
Considering you posted in Non-Romantic Relationships and not Relationships.... is she your friend who is female or a girlfriend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 10:19 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
So, I have a block of 10 days off this christmas and my original plans were to go somewhere like Cuba or the Big Island etc. However, my GF wants to visit her parents close by (8 hour drive from here) and would like me to come with her...will probably rent a car, stay at her parents for a couple days then rent a hotel etc. and do some hiking/camping etc. the following days.

I think that she should cover 100% of this trip as it's not my idea...I would rather not go to her parents place as that is not my idea of a vacation, I am compromising here because I want to be with her and meet her siblings who are also going to be there.

Who do you think should cover the bulk of this trip - hotel, fuel, rental car etc. I don't think I should as it's not my idea. Both of us make pretty good money but she makes a lot more than me.
If you don't want to go, tell her, If you go, be gracious and pay your half. It sounds to me like you just want to passive-aggressively punish her for not doing what you wanted to.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:22 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ok, or see her parents and family. I don't know. Sounds somewhat serious of a relationship, doesn't it? Out of everything I wrote, that's all you picked up on.

I spent Christmas break with all my in laws in a beach house. It was hell on earth. I had already met them, too. But I we to because it was important to my husband to spend time with his family.
The woman wants to spend Christmas with her family AND her boyfriend. That's not some off-the-wall notion, even if her family isn't the Brady Bunch.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:31 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
You're thinking of traveling to either Cuba or Hawaii within 3 weeks and you haven't made your travel arrangements yet?
Seriously! Christmas is a mere two weeks away!

Maybe she suggested an alternative as the OP did not follow through on any plans of his own yet....

Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:

How much do you make? Because 2 days of hotel at 150, car rental at 200 and gas at 65.. If 550 is a big amount , then....

Old 12-10-2015, 11:16 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
How much do you make? Because 2 days of hotel at 150, car rental at 200 and gas at 65.. If 550 is a big amount , then....
I'd consider that quite a bit to spend on something I didn't want to do to begin with. Perhaps the OP feels similarly.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
$550 IS a big amount for a vacation for most of America.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:27 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
we both make 6 figures, but she makes more than me, a really big number. Let's just say that $550 is not a big amount for me at all, but for her it's even more insignificant, pocket change really so why not just spend it because she would've spent it anyway and why ask to split it?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
take for example a scenario:

one person wants to stay in a $300/night hotel and the other can afford it but wants to spend only $100/night. There is a disagreement, who pays what in this situation?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
See, this is the problem though. If I did that she would be upset so I HAVE to go, I have no choice in the matter and she is unwilling to compromise on going to her parents. So, this does not sound like a compromise. So, if I have to adhere to her plans, which I am doing to keep her happy the least she can do is pay for the trip which she would have to pay 100% of anyway if she went by herself.
Quote:
She keeps score like crazy and I usually don't. For example: she invited me to this event which costs $30 to see her play but she wants me to buy my own tickets. Yet I bought her $200 worth of christmas gifts, I am taking her out to a restaurant today that is going to cost me in excess of $150, I always drive around locally and pay for gas - that amounts to hundreds of $$$ that she never pays as we go hiking and stuff to substantially far off places. I have never even asked to split gas money even once.

Just the other day I bought her a few beers without even thinking all on my tab, yet she will crib to buy me even one $6 beer!!! WTF? And she makes one and a half times my income! Now you tell me who is the one being cheap?

You guys on here assume a lot, geez!
Show her these posts and tell her if you go your not paying chit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships