Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 AM

135 posts, read 169,937 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a newly built middle class neighborhood with nature trails and lakes abound for our leisure.

There's always a few people on these trails every day from stay at home moms to retired folks in the mornings and afternoons, and although they don't exactly live next door to me I feel as if they all regard me as a stranger that shouldn't be greeted. The lack of interaction seems more appropriate for a more impersonal environment like a bigger city where you're just getting to where you need to go and don't care about the many people you walk past.

Every single time i pass a neighbor on a trail I am always the one who greets them and asks how they are doing. Out of a few hundred instances that i've logged, only one time have they ever greeted me first. That one time was when an older woman biked past me from behind and didn't see my face.

I dress like every one else does around here but I am not caucasian, and this is mostly a caucasian neighborhood.

I'd love to hear about how people in your neighborhood interact with each other, if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
We say hello, we help each other out, we visit in each others home.

You mention that the people are not your neighbors. For all anyone knows, you are some random non-resident using the trails.

How long have you lived there? Have you met you actual neighbors? Sometimes these things take time.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I am Caucasian and live in a pretty mixed neighborhood.

If I happen to be outside in my front yard, some people walking by will greet me and some won't.

The friendliest people seem to be Blacks and Chinese. After that, Caucasians are somewhat friendly, and Asian Indians are the least friendly.

Next time you are out, maybe you can find a bench and just sit for a half-hour and observe others on the trails and take note if they greet each other or not. Maybe it's just the way things are there.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Pretty much everyone says hello regardless of ethnicity here.
The men are slightly less likely than the women, though. I have noticed that.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 AM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
My neighbors all talk to each other as they've all lived on this cul de sac for over a decade. They are all elderly Mormons (Salt Lake) and familes with kids 5ish-college age.

One guy across the street will always wave, say hello, and sometimes try to spark some conversation. Really nice dude.

There are a couple families that literally pretend I don't exist. I can be getting in/out of my car and they'll be walking the dog or something, within 5-10 feet of me, and will flat out ignore me when I say hello. Happened 2-3 weeks ago and I started singing Hello by Adele when they ignored me. "Hello, can you hear me?..."

A couple of other guys will begrudgingly say "Hi." if I call them out. They came off as haters but I didn't think anything of it until.......

I heard from another neighbor that these guys don't like me because I had a WA license plate when I first moved in, and WA has legal marijuana. Ridiculous judgement seeing as UT is known for a pill popping epidemic which is actually dangerous and has actually killed many. Also, I'm a professional. It's not like I wear a rasta beanie or anything, and if I did, f*** them anyway.

That was all I needed to know- these neighbors aren't worth so much as a glance or wave. Lots less awkwardness now that I don't acknowledge them.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:39 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
My nearest neighbor lives 400 feet from us and down a hill. She's been a pest to everyone in the area. We rarely see her coming and going but we at least wave when we do. We speak or wave to other neighbors as we pass in cars or are out in our yards. If unknown bikers or runners come by the house we rarely initiate waving so as to not distract them but if one waves, we wave back. Race, age etc. really doesn't matter but we are in a predominately middle aged white area.

My in-laws live in Henderson, NV in a retirement community and when we visit and are out walking the dog no one ever speaks, waves, look at us, nods, smiles, greets the dog, all things that we are used to in our area and in AK. We are old enough to live in the community so it's not like we are a couple of young people invading "their" space and we pick up the poo in the doggie area so again we are respectful. Different interaction entirely. Odd but is what it is.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
My nearest neighbor lives 400 feet from us and down a hill. She's been a pest to everyone in the area. We rarely see her coming and going but we at least wave when we do. We speak or wave to other neighbors as we pass in cars or are out in our yards. If unknown bikers or runners come by the house we rarely initiate waving so as to not distract them but if one waves, we wave back. Race, age etc. really doesn't matter but we are in a predominately middle aged white area.

My in-laws live in Henderson, NV in a retirement community and when we visit and are out walking the dog no one ever speaks, waves, look at us, nods, smiles, greets the dog, all things that we are used to in our area and in AK. We are old enough to live in the community so it's not like we are a couple of young people invading "their" space and we pick up the poo in the doggie area so again we are respectful. Different interaction entirely. Odd but is what it is.
Since it's a retirement community it's probably mostly transplants from back east.

I live in Southern CA and I know the people on both sides, across the street(have gone over for dinner) and the people next to them as well. Also people a few houses down.

We say hello and know each other's names.

When I was in suburban NYC(small town) staying with relatives people walk down the street and don't speak. It's as if your invisible. I had to stop myself as it was force of habit, because where I live people just say hello if they walk by with a dog or are just taking a walk.

I have always found people out west to be friendlier than the NE.

If these retired people spent most of their life in NY,NJ, MA, etc. they don't change much when they relocate to a place like NV.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:18 PM

208 posts, read 604,117 times
When we first moved into our house, the neighbors on one side actually knocked on our door to say hello and gave us a house warming gift. We were impressed by the nice gesture! Since then we've made a point to visit other neighbors across the street and in the immediate surrounding area. They will come by to chit chat if they see us out in the yard.

It's nice to know who our neighbors are, especially since we have a young child. We're glad it's a friendly neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
On the trail? No, I don't greet anyone, and other people rarely do either. I used to, thinking I was being polite, but after a while I could tell it just made most people uncomfortable.

There's plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with you that they don't say hello. It could be that:
1)They see news stories about people getting mugged/killed/raped in the woods and are on guard.
2) You have to figure people are on a nature trail (instead of being on a treadmill or track next to people) because they just want to be with nature.
3) Most people just aren't polite anymore.

Nothing to take personally. You're taking your walk for yourself anyway, right? Enjoy nature.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post

I'd love to hear about how people in your neighborhood interact with each other, if at all.
On the trail? A token nod of the head with a noncommittal half-smile is about the most to expect. This is Seattle. People are rather reserved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships