Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or maybe you were stomping around or your TV was too loud. There are many possibilities that don't involve them being jealous of you. Plus, you were acting suspiciously once the police got there, so...
I agree. I bet that you were just extra noisy that day, or maybe they heard you crying while you were having the anxiety attacks or something else. They could even have gone to wrong apartment.

Heck, a few weeks ago I woke up early and decided to watch a TV show at 7:00 AM on a weekday. I did not think that the TV was too loud, as it was set at the normal volume, but my next door neighbors called the apartment manager to complain about the noise. BTW, I'm a retired lady in my 60s.

BTW, I can't believe that you did not immediately answer the door when you saw that it was the police. They may have thought that you were flushing drugs down the toilet or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or maybe you were stomping around or your TV was too loud. There are many possibilities that don't involve them being jealous of you. Plus, you were acting suspiciously once the police got there, so...
I have a habit of walking on my tiptoes, a lingering habit from dance team days walking across the echoey gym floor, being told to walk lightly like a dancer so we don't stomp & echo.

As for the tv being too loud, I didn't even own a tv. I can't imagine there was even any indication that I was home!

Anyway, "acting suspiciously" is no legal cause for entering & searching an apartment. But they were welcome to come on in after they pounded through the anxiety attacks I was having all by myself that day anyway.

I don't know why the couple always looked at me sideways or once even asked where I was going one evening (as if they were my parents & I was a child), but I answered honestly & politely when they asked. My life was not very interesting. I only wish I'd had the presence of mind & sociability to sit down & chat with them as we met, so we could understand each other. Maybe they'd had unsavory experiences with 20-somethings in the past, or with their own grown children, and they were projecting that onto me.

I really have no idea what happened in anyone's mind that day other than my own. And I have too much time on my hands to ponder the past right now.

Looking forward to going to the gym in 2 hours, whee!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Maybe they got the wrong place! Too much speculation from a look by a neighbor. If you had said dozens of times you received complaints or they harassed you I could see where you would come to that conclusion.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It could be that during your anxiety attack, you were making noises that made your neighbors concerned for your well being. That's all that it sounds like to me. Simple.
This sounds plausible. It could be that you are not as quiet as you think, noise was echoing from some one else apartment, the cops had the wrong address or that another neighbor called the police. The older couple downstairs probably weren't jealous of you (or gave you much thought).

And the next time the police knock at your door, don't ignore them or go take a shower. Suppose they had broken the door down with guns drawn?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I bet that you were just extra noisy that day
I assure you I'm quiet as a freakin' mouse.

Quote:
maybe they heard you crying while you were having the anxiety attacks or something else.
My anxiety attacks are nothing but rapid heart palpitations and my body is motionless while my mind is in torment. No crying happens. I've had attacks in public regularly and no one ever notices.

Quote:
I can't believe that you did not immediately answer the door when you saw that it was the police. They may have thought that you were flushing drugs down the toilet or something like that.
I mean I was already having anxiety that day over practically nothing, when suddenly POLICE are knocking on my door. What a way to increase anxiety & feeling like a deer in headlights!

And since you mentioned drugs, I might as well mention that unlike seemingly a majority of people nowadays, I've never had an interest in touching drugs or alcohol with a 10-foot pole. I get my highs from chocolate & s*x & cardiovascular exercise.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Wait I'm stuck at this happened in 2000??? What can possibly be done now??? Why does it even cross your mind at this point??? Why didn't you do something at the time like confront neighbor or call local police and see if they could tell you more details on the original complaint??? Am I the only one that finds the time span here odd???

Old 03-07-2016, 12:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times
Quit worrying about something that happened 16 years ago!! Doesn't even matter.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Am I the only one that finds the time span here odd???
I find it all very odd. OP, do you also suffer from paranoia?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
The police said specifically that "trouble" and "noise" had been reported. That's extremely odd.
Yup, it was extremely odd.

Quote:
OP, was that the only incident in your time of living there? How did that downstairs couple react the next time they saw you, anything particularly strange (other than their usual)?
That was the only weird thing that ever happened to me there, other than a new guy later moving in across the terrace from me attempting to get all neighborly/flirty with me and I found it annoying.

That downstairs couple must have moved soon after that police day, because I don't recall crossing paths with them again.

Quote:
Police get called basically to a minimally furnished apartment inhabited by a quiet, young singleton, for reported "trouble". Assuming your anxiety attacks were silent and didn't involve crying, it's unfathomable. At least you didn't have to contend with some kind of chronic harassment by neighbors.
You understand every detail, and yes, I'm just as perplexed as you are. It was 16 years ago. An "unsolved mystery." Lol.

Although I'm not religious anymore (over the years I've concluded that religion is too fatiguing & oppressive), I was very religious then, and still can't exclude the possibility that God was sending someone to break me out of my social isolation that day. It really was a beautiful day, and I was young & pretty but panicking all by myself for no reason and missing out on what was reportedly a fun rafting trip.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
OP, you come on here and post about something that happened 16 years ago. No one who has responded has ANY idea what happened, but have offered possible, plausible explanations and you argue with each of them.

I'm with the people who think your neighbors were worried about you for some reason and called the cops. When they came in and searched, they were probably making sure there wasn't an abusive boyfriend hiding in the closet, or that you weren't in any other type of danger.

I don't mean to be insensitive to your panic attacks, but there's no reason to pose this question and then become argumentative over the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships