Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:03 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,985 times

Advertisements

Oh! And this is what triggered that old memory so I came to city-data to jot it down. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 02:32 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Yup, it was extremely odd.

That was the only weird thing that ever happened to me there, other than a new guy later moving in across the terrace from me attempting to get all neighborly/flirty with me and I found it annoying.

That downstairs couple must have moved soon after that police day, because I don't recall crossing paths with them again.

You understand every detail, and yes, I'm just as perplexed as you are. It was 16 years ago. An "unsolved mystery." Lol.

Although I'm not religious anymore (over the years I've concluded that religion is too fatiguing & oppressive), I was very religious then, and still can't exclude the possibility that God was sending someone to break me out of my social isolation that day. It really was a beautiful day, and I was young & pretty but panicking all by myself for no reason and missing out on what was reportedly a fun rafting trip.

Obviously, someone reported something to police. Police don't just make random checks! Perhaps, someone saw something they considered a danger to you? Perhaps someone trying your door? Maybe your neighbors were trying to watch out for you?

Another angle---you said the neighbors moved out shortly after that incident. Perhaps they wanted to break their lease and cited noise disturbances as a reason to break? Backing that up with a police report? One never knows.....

Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
OP---I do understand how such experiences can stay with you for a lifetime. It's because they are out of the ordinary that they stick in our minds.

Reading about your neighbors actually brought up a memory of a troublesome neighbor. Years ago, my husband and I lived in a garden apartment complex that was run down with owners who kept promising to fix what was broken but did nothing but put a small band-aid on a big problem.

We had an older woman who lived alone downstairs from us. She was also very nosy. One night, my husband and I prepared dinner. He was washing the dishes when we got a knock on our door. It was the nosy neighbor. She actually came upstairs to complain that our washing dishes was making her sink overflow. Not wanting to escalate anything, I told her that we were almost done. Part of me wanted to say to her, "What do you want us to do about it? Why aren't you calling maintenance?"

Eventually, the place went condo and we were all told that we either had to buy our apartment or move. We both moved as did she, with her moving out first---we were so relieved!

So, yes, some experiences do stick with you. She was probably the biggest PITA we've ever had for a neighbor (I have other stories about her LOL!).

While what happened to you will nag at you from time to time, just remind yourself that it is the past. If you are still living in a situation where you're sharing walls (apartment, condo, townhouse) and your current neighbors are good ones, remind yourself of that when this incident pops in your head. Also, be glad that it is now in the past.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I lived in a downstairs apartment and was convinced that a herd of elephants lived above me. It was incredibly loud listening to them stomp around. It happened with a variety of people who lived up there, so I eventually figured that noise from the upstairs really resonated downstairs.

If that was true with your apartment, it is entirely possible that the folks under you called the cops because they thought you were being much noiser than you should, even if you weren't trying to be noisy.

It doesn't sound like a big deal.
It doesn't sound like a big deal?! THREE police officers bang on her door, demanding she open up, and you say that's not a big deal? It sounds like somebody thought it was a very big deal.

It's possible that there's poor insulation between floors, but that doesn't explain why the police were called on that particular day. Maybe the OP will provide more info about her activities that day. Maybe she was pacing back and forth a lot, or something, and didn't realize it.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Did you knock something over or otherwise make noise during your panic attack?

Old 03-07-2016, 03:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I assure you I'm quiet as a freakin' mouse.

My anxiety attacks are nothing but rapid heart palpitations and my body is motionless while my mind is in torment. No crying happens. I've had attacks in public regularly and no one ever notices.

I mean I was already having anxiety that day over practically nothing, when suddenly POLICE are knocking on my door. What a way to increase anxiety & feeling like a deer in headlights!

And since you mentioned drugs, I might as well mention that unlike seemingly a majority of people nowadays, I've never had an interest in touching drugs or alcohol with a 10-foot pole. I get my highs from chocolate & s*x & cardiovascular exercise.
No one knows that, though.

It is possible that the complaint was made about a different apartment and the cops went to the wrong door. You should have opened it the first time. I don't know why you wouldn't have. I hope you have since gotten some help for your anxiety attacks. I've had them, so I get it, but yours sound somewhat crippling.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:58 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
This happened 16 yrs. ago!! No idea why it was posted.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Another angle---you said the neighbors moved out shortly after that incident. Perhaps they wanted to break their lease and cited noise disturbances as a reason to break? Backing that up with a police report? One never knows.....
That's a plausible theory! I wonder if it's ok for people to call the police about "noise complaints" before addressing it to the landlord first. Because I never had any notifications from the landlord about any such complaints directed at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe the OP will provide more info about her activities that day. Maybe she was pacing back and forth a lot, or something, and didn't realize it.
It's possible I was pacing though I have no recollection of that. Still I really don't think I'm a heavy walker, as I said earlier I tend to tiptoe a lot, a habit from my ballet days. One thing I do remember I spent a lot of time doing that day was sitting on a white blanket on the living room floor, tweezing unwanted body hairs. How's that for TMI? I'm all for full disclosure here if it will help anyone who's curious understand just how quiet & non-disruptive I was being that day.

Other commenters coming to this thread at the end of your workday, I've already addressed questions such as, "why is she talking about something that happened 16 years ago?"

In response to some other comments: Yes, I tend to get fixated on things, yes, I have paranoid tendencies, so I go to the gym & run really hard & lift weights & do a ton of yoga, then I feel right as rain again Exercise is the best medicine for most everything that ails us.

Moderator, you are free to close this thread if you'd like.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Actually, it's not uncommon and is very safety conscious of the police to check your home like that. It is perfectly normal when someone has indicated a problem in your apartment. They are looking to see not only if there are indications that you are a problem but if there is anyone in there holding a knife or gun or anything on you while you say you are okay. They have no way of knowing you are safe and speaking of your own free will. So they check your apartment to be sure.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
And about those crazy neighbors. When you live in a mass situation like that you will get to know people in more ways than you ever thought. You get to know them a little more intimately when they have their "home" mode going. Maybe that couple is so old school they thought women shouldn't live alone. Maybe they didn't like an expression or a tone of voice. You can't second guess in a situation like that. Maybe they thought they recognized you. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships