Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Actually, it's not uncommon and is very safety conscious of the police to check your home like that. It is perfectly normal when someone has indicated a problem in your apartment. They are looking to see not only if there are indications that you are a problem but if there is anyone in there holding a knife or gun or anything on you while you say you are okay. They have no way of knowing you are safe and speaking of your own free will. So they check your apartment to be sure.
That's true enough, but it doesn't mean you have to let them in. If I had been the OP, I wouldn't even have answered the door in the first place, but once having answered it and told them there was no problem in my home, I would never have let them in. They don't have the right to enter without a warrant or probable cause, and in this case they obviously had neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
I can barely remember what happened last weekend, let alone 16 YEARS ago.

That's a way to fish for clicks. OK, ya got me!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It doesn't sound like a big deal?! THREE police officers bang on her door, demanding she open up, and you say that's not a big deal? It sounds like somebody thought it was a very big deal.

It's possible that there's poor insulation between floors, but that doesn't explain why the police were called on that particular day. Maybe the OP will provide more info about her activities that day. Maybe she was pacing back and forth a lot, or something, and didn't realize it.
Three officers 16 years ago....not a big deal anymore.

Heck I don't remember what happened last week, much less 16 years ago. I have too much going on to ruminate on things that happened that long ago.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Yup. Omg someone REALLY insists on seeing me right now, I should probably clean my greasy hair first rather than answer the door looking like the Saturday hermit that I am
WOW!!!! That is some kind of STUPID!!!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
This is something that happened to me in the year 2000. Every once in awhile it echoes in my memory, and I'll never really know what happened or why.
(snip)
It's possible that they were concerned, when they hadn't seen you come out of your apartment for a while, but didn't think the police would come for that. Or it's also possible that the cops only told you that, but they were conducting a 'well person" check and wanted to see inside your apartment to make sure no one was harming you or holding you captive.

A neighbor called the police once on me for that very reason. I had been coming and going, but the neighbor just hadn't seen me. He thought something may have happened to me.

Sometimes neighbors can be protective of single females living alone. And that's a good thing. I think that's the more likely scenario...the older couple had become concerned about your safety or wellness.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
I gave all the information I have, and all the speculation I have. That's all I've got! I really have no idea why the police came to my door that day. All I have is speculation. SOMEONE called the police to my apt that day. The only neighbors I'd ever met up to that point were that grumpy couple under me. Perhaps resentful that a young lady could afford such high rent when all their years of working had culminated in living there? I really don't know. It will always remain a mystery to me.
It is way too late to ever find out what happened 15 years ago but I think you are obsessing over what was a trivial incident. Something else that you might want to consider: Maybe there was something that happened in one of the OTHER units in your apartment complex. Maybe the Cops were looking for somebody that had done something that made your neighbors worry about your safety. As an example if there had been an attempted sexual assault of something similar standard procedure would be to check all the units in the complex to make sure everyone was safe and not being held hostage etc. The police were just making sure you were OK.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 AM

480 posts, read 668,453 times
I think if you're really interested in finding out why, you could request a copy of the police report. It should give a synopsis of the reason why the police were contacted and what the results were of the contact. I don't believe those records are ever lost.

It's also likely that the neighbors called 911, and you could also request a copy of the 911 recording where they initially contacted police. Again, I think those records are kept for a very long time (don't know how long).

Those are two things that you can do to answer your questions.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM

455 posts, read 388,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It could be that during your anxiety attack, you were making noises that made your neighbors concerned for your well being. That's all that it sounds like to me. Simple.
That's where my mind went. The neighbors called the cops because they were concerned about you. The cops came in to make sure you were ok and there wasn't a murderous rapist hiding in the apartment of the sweet young single gal. They were just looking out for you.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I find it all very odd. OP, do you also suffer from paranoia?
Maybe it is "odd" but I wouldn't go anywhere near to considering it to be"paranoia".
Something similar goes through my mind occasionally as I replay long ago or not-so-long-ago incidents in which I would now act differently knowing what I know now or in view of the type of person I am now at a pre-retirement age.
I think some of my replay comes from regret at having been "played" by people with negative intentions or even comes from a realization that I was once much more easily intimidated & manipulated by others.
So, I'd chalk this up to being a thread topic that looks back in regret but also asks for feedback.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
We had some neighbors who were very suspicious of us. My husband worked security overnight and he would wear a light jacket over his uniform and carry his gun belt in a gym bag when he left, because he didn't want people to realize he was leaving for the night, and he'd also had problems in the past with people seeing his uniform and asking him to do something about something happening in the complex, when legally he wasn't able to...he'd tell them to call the cops instead and they'd get really angry. So he'd wear the jacket even in the summer, and carry the bag.

There were some car break-ins happening in the complex and the people who lived above us (who let their kid dribble a ball all day and all night up there, and used a treadmill that sounded like a train running through my living room) became convinced that my husband was leaving every night to break into cars. They told the police that after someone broke into their car. The police told them that wearing a jacket in the summer wasn't a crime and they should complain to the apartment office if they had a problem with a neighbor. So they went to the apartment office, hysterical because they lived above a car stereo thief and the police wouldn't do anything. The girls who worked in the office were my friends and they told me what those people had said. I wanted to knock on their door and explain the situation, but my husband said that he didn't owe them any kind of explanation and that they could come and ask if they really had a concern. So we said nothing, and a month later the upstairs neighbor moved out, taking their noisy ball-dribbling kid and their treadmill with them.

Anyhow, neighbors can get really strange ideas about you. Since your incident happened so long ago, personally I'd just let it go and chalk it up to one of those weird things that makes no sense and never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships