Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
This is something that happened to me in the year 2000. Every once in awhile it echoes in my memory, and I'll never really know what happened or why.

I had my first apartment, fortunate to get a top-floor apt with a great view of open space & the Rocky Mountains in an affluent, crime-free area. I may have looked young to older people but I was about 25, and already completed an honorable Army enlistment.

When I first moved in, I met my downstairs neighbors, a retired couple. They looked at me suspiciously every time we met in passing. But I was a nice responsible girl, had a good solid job, kept to myself, a well-behaved quiet girl. In fact I kept to myself so much that all I ever did was go to work & come home.

One Saturday I was trying to get up the courage to go on a rafting trip with some other young single people from my church. But I kept having anxiety attacks just at the thought of meeting new people in a new situation, I shamefully never got up the courage to leave my apartment that day.

About an hour after my last anxiety attack there was a loud knock on the door. It freaked me out, I wasn't expecting anyone, so I didn't answer. A few minutes later they pounded again, and this time an authoritative male voice called through the door that it was the police(!) Well this additionally freaked me out.

I didn't answer the door. Heart beating wildly, still freaked out, and needing to take a shower to be presentable to anyone that day anyway, I got in the shower.

While I was in the shower, they started banging on the door again. So I got out of the shower, dried off real quick, put on a robe, and answered the damn door.

There were THREE police officers. One did the speaking. Something to the effect of, "Oh sorry Ma'am, didn't realize you were in the shower....Is there any trouble here today?" I assured them all was calm & quiet, no trouble, everything is fine. I asked them what was wrong. They said some noise/trouble was reported coming from my apartment(!?)

He asked if they could have a look around inside the apartment. I said sure go ahead, and let them in. (Older & wiser now I realize they had no legal right to enter & search without probable cause or warrant) but I had nothing to hide, hell I was young and had hardly anything at all but a hand-me-down sofa & an inflatable mattress.

They looked around through every room, saw absolutely nothing, and bid me good day.

And that was that.

Every once in a long while I remember that pathetic & weird day, and all I can figure is that my downstairs neighbors who were trying to enjoy their retirement, resented me because they assumed a young, single girl living alone = trouble. They're free to assume anything they want, but why would they call the police on me on such a quiet day of nothingness?

The only thing I may have ever done wrong as their upstairs neighbor was doing cartwheels & jumping around one day when I was a wee bit energetic, but it wasn't THAT day. And it only happened once, perhaps several weeks before that police thing happened.

It's all speculation anyway, I have no indication who sent the police that day, or why.

It would've made a good episode of the Twilight Zone, as if my inner demons (social anxiety) came to a head with the cops beating on my door. Maybe my anxiety attacks were so severe that they caused a metaphysical rumbling in my apartment. Maybe the police were sent to pull me out of my social anxiety shell! Haha
I believe that pursuing personal counseling would be extremely helpful to you. It is highly unusual for someone to obsess about an event, or non-event (you opened the door, talked to the officers, and they left) that happened 16 years earlier. Get some help, and your life will be much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I gave all the information I have, and all the speculation I have. That's all I've got! I really have no idea why the police came to my door that day. All I have is speculation. SOMEONE called the police to my apt that day.

"One Saturday I was trying to get up the courage to go on a rafting trip with some other young single people from my church. But I kept having anxiety attacks just at the thought of meeting new people in a new situation, I shamefully never got up the courage to leave my apartment that day."

Could it be because you promised to go on a trip with your church friends and then you stood them up?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:52 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,489,072 times
We were in a hotel room and kept hearing fast heavy footsteps from the room above us. I couldn't understand why someone would step so heavily just walking around a small hotel room. The next mourning at the free hotel breakfast, we heard and recognized the heavy hoof sounds. It was a quite small woman with heals. We couldn't believe it.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Maybe they hadn't seen you in a while and were wondering if you'd had a stroke or something else bad had happened to you. So they called saying there was a noise.

Or they worried about a "young lady living all alone" and heard a noise they THOUGHT was coming from your apt. and out of paranoia called worrying about you.

*shrug*

Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,602,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
"One Saturday I was trying to get up the courage to go on a rafting trip with some other young single people from my church. But I kept having anxiety attacks just at the thought of meeting new people in a new situation, I shamefully never got up the courage to leave my apartment that day."

Could it be because you promised to go on a trip with your church friends and then you stood them up?

I thought of the same thing. They might have been worried and called the police. The excuse that the police used was just that.. an excuse.

Going to take a shower instead of answering the door knowing it was the police is also very.... strange.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post

Going to take a shower instead of answering the door knowing it was the police is also very.... strange.
VERY bizarre.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
Intrigued....

How long did you live there? Were there any 'disappearances'?
Perhaps you were a target: the old couple were part of a witches coven and the guy flirting with you when you moved in was trying to impregnate you so you could have "Rosemary's Baby"? The cops were in on it and used it as excuse to search your place to see if you were a 'good candidate'.....

Or perhaps your friends who you said were going on a outing were worried and one of them knew someone in LE and called to see if you were OK (knowing you get anxiety attacks).

Or perhaps you actually make noise you do not realize when you have your anxiety attack and the old couple heard it and combined with them observing your body language / despondency / anxiety and called because they were worried about you?

As someone else suggested just call the police department that responded for the filed police report and it may answer your nagging question....

Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
I would never let the police into my home without a warrant.....period.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Seems like its time to let it go. Who knows what happened? I mean...they could have been at the wrong house. A neighbor could have heard something strange and thought it was you. Or heard a noise that sounded like you needed help. Hey, maybe there was a stranger lingering and someone thought they saw them enter your apartment somehow. I mean...the possibilities are endless.

I think what is more strange is remembering it. I am pretty sure I would have forgotten about all that by now. I feel like it has meaning to you that we don't get.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
VERY bizarre.
What's strange or bizarre about it? I can't think of a single good reason to answer the door if the police are knocking on it. Instead of taking a shower and answering the door, she should have taken a shower and thrown a DVD into the player and watched a movie. If it's important, they can leave a note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships