Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:02 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I definitely think that, after reading most of the postings here, that the guy in the carriage house is being stalked by more than one person at this condo. It seems there has been a conspiratorial effort to invade his privacy to determine his entire biography and create some nefarious conclusions within.

For some reason, they believe he has no right to appear in the courtyard or parking lot that all residents of the complex have the right to enjoy and are using his presence there to imply he is some kind of danger. Attempting to ban him from the common areas is probably actionable. These are not the actions of reasonable people.

He doesn't have the right to appear in the courtyard or parking lot as he does not reside in the complex. He is trespassing. He lives on the property that is next door to the complex. It would be like if you came home and your next door neighbor was sitting on your back deck, or was in your garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM

291 posts, read 277,303 times
The only thing one can do to protect yourself from crazies like you describe is arm yourself. Luckily the OP lives in Atlanta where this is easy to do. OP, I would suggest a trip to the local gun store. With a budget of about $5000-$15,000 you can protect yourself from all troubles.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 AM

308 posts, read 267,390 times
Here's another idea if you don't want to actually approach their house or give away any personal information, and yet still get your message across to the parents.

Get a PO BOX, and then write a letter addressing his parents with your concerns and include the facts regarding his behavior as observed by your neighbors. Simply let them know that you happen to be in the community behind their house (don't include your name or even your dog's name). Make it clear that the goal of your letter is to make them aware of their son's behavior. Mention that any response from them should be sent to your PO BOX.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:59 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
The only thing one can do to protect yourself from crazies like you describe is arm yourself. Luckily the OP lives in Atlanta where this is easy to do. OP, I would suggest a trip to the local gun store. With a budget of about $5000-$15,000 you can protect yourself from all troubles.
I would budget $1,000. Handguns run about $500, plus ammo, a holster, and perhaps a small gun safe.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
OP, someone back around page 6 or 7 suggested this, but please, please, please read The Gift of Fear. Your local library might even have it so you can read it for free (mine does). If you feel uncomfortable about ANY situation, trust your gut. That uneasiness is there for a reason. Please don't let anyone in this thread make you feel like you are overreacting.

I would absolutely encourage all of your neighbors to call the police if they see this man in your courtyard or on any private property again. That is illegal and is something that the police can help with. Someone else suggested a paper trail, so start logging your neighbor's encounters with him, including the questions he's asked.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
A boyfriend with a gun might be cheaper.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Also, I'll probably get slammed for this, but I don't think the vast majority of men will understand what the OP is going through and it's frustrating to read so many posters telling her that she's overreacting.

OP is a woman who lives alone, doesn't even know what this man looks like beyond a vague description others have given her, and she has no idea what his intentions are. On top of that, he's asking other residents very odd questions and knows a lot about OP. I've lived next door to the same neighbors for 9 years and I couldn't tell you when they leave for work or come home. I also don't know their dog's name even though we have normal, occasional interactions with one another.

He's also already proven on several instances that he doesn't care if he's on private property, despite being asked to leave. Who's to say he won't show up somewhere else next time?

Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
OP is a woman who lives alone, doesn't even know what this man looks like beyond a vague description others have given her, and she has no idea what his intentions are. On top of that, he's asking other residents very odd questions and knows a lot about OP. I've lived next door to the same neighbors for 9 years and I couldn't tell you when they leave for work or come home. I also don't know their dog's name even though we have normal, occasional interactions with one another.
Agreed!

I have neighbors that live directly across from me, they bought a year after I did. I used to watch their previous pets. They've had a new dog for a few years now. While I've talked to my neighbors since then, I don't know the name of their new dog.

Same with the people on each side - don't know their dogs names yet we chat at times and have each others cell phones.

And I love dogs.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Also, I'll probably get slammed for this, but I don't think the vast majority of men will understand what the OP is going through and it's frustrating to read so many posters telling her that she's overreacting.
I agree with you - but, as I said in my previous post, I'm one of the few guys who completely understands the OP's worry about this creepy stalker. I've been stalked by ex-gf's & had my house burglarized. So, I understand the concern if someone takes an unwanted interest in you - and, I also understand the trespassing concern.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
For those who have asked how old he is, I know he is out of college and has a Master's Degree from Georgetown, so I am assuming mid-20's. Unfortunately I don't know his name or the name of his parents, so I can't do any Googling or even find out where they lived last. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more info soon.

All I know about the family is what I've heard from neighbors who've had a little more interaction than I have. The parents are very wealthy and the dad is a doctor who specializes in asthma. I've tried to Google local asthma doctors but no luck. I've heard that the parents argue with their son often (have had neighbors overhear it) and he seems rebellious because he smokes cigarettes openly even when his dad is an asthma doctor. The more I hear, the more I worry that having someone talk to his parents might not be the best idea if there's already a lot of tension there between them and their son. Hmmm...
Whoa. This is a weirdo.
Get yourself pepperspray for your keyring.
Do not take chances. Do not engage in conversation with this guy or his parents.
Does the condo association have security cameras?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships