Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times

Advertisements

A side effect of some medicines is coughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:46 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,588 times
I have asthma, and at times I cough a lot, but at least I cover my mouth even though I'm not contagious.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:49 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I am that cougher - I have lung damage from chemo and cannot control it. It's worse when it's very cold or when my allergies kick in (not to mention the twice a year bouts of bronchitis I tend to get!), which means I get about a 2 month reprieve every year. I am followed carefully by a whole team of doctors and while it's not contagious, it's certainly obnoxious. People reminding me how obnoxious it is does not help and I shouldn't have to explain my medical history to everyone who questions me about it. Maybe she *has* seen a doctor but doesn't think it's any of your business?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, not my own coughing ...

I have a coworker who has been coughing since September. Seriously. I'm not really sure how someone lives with a cough for 9 months, but whatever. The problem is that not only is she constantly coughing, but it's LOUD open-mouthed HACKING. And she never bothers to cover her mouth. She can be sitting across a conference table (or worse, the lunch table) and just cough right in front of you. No turning, no covering.

We've got a relatively quiet office environment, but the quiet is shattered every few minutes with the coughing. It's quite maddening. And headphones don't really help ... I only wear one earbud because I need to be able to hear if someone comes up behind me and starts talking to me.

To the best of my knowledge, she hasn't bothered to go to a doctor. She claims it's annoying to her, but she doesn't seem to do anything about it. To be honest, I'd be happy if she just learned to cough less forcefully (if that makes sense) and learns enough decency to cover and turn. She's got to know it bugs people. We've tried the "friendly teasing" route, which had no effect. Anything more direct is going to be met with hostility (because she's naturally a very snippy person)

To complicate matters, she's very buddy-buddy with our supervisor. So I can't really go that route.

I've thought about getting a Costco-sized bag of cough drops and leaving it anonymously on her desk.

Any other suggestions? (Both serious and silly)
Maybe she has kennel cough?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
if she has allergies, I bet she has post nasal drip.... that creates a "tickle" in the throat and a major coughing fit......

During the times of year when my allergies flair up, I take Zyrtec or Claritin and use one of the nasal sprays, Flonase or the other one whose name escapes me......

helps TREMENDOUSLY....

Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am that cougher - I have lung damage from chemo and cannot control it. It's worse when it's very cold or when my allergies kick in (not to mention the twice a year bouts of bronchitis I tend to get!), which means I get about a 2 month reprieve every year. I am followed carefully by a whole team of doctors and while it's not contagious, it's certainly obnoxious. People reminding me how obnoxious it is does not help and I shouldn't have to explain my medical history to everyone who questions me about it. Maybe she *has* seen a doctor but doesn't think it's any of your business?
I understand what you are saying, but the OP's cougher doesn't bother covering her mouth.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:39 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Do you have an HR department or someone above the supervisor to speak to?

You have a right to a work environment that doesn't involve someone spewing germs across the table.

I have a large team and we just went through allergy season. Had one person very similar to your situation. Staff started calling in sick because they didn't want to be around her so I sent her home and told her she couldn't come back until she had it under control and she had a doctor's note saying she was fit for work. 3 days later she was back, on meds, and no problem since.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:34 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's not just the cough. It's that's it's a loud, uncontrolled, open-mouthed hacking. Think of the obnoxious coughing that's employed as a comedic effect in movies when the cougher is obviously faking ... then amplify that.

If it weren't for the fact that it's been going on since September, I would wonder if she were faking just to be obnoxious.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I have asthma, and at times I cough a lot, but at least I cover my mouth even though I'm not contagious.
But apparently all your coworkers hate you and want you to quit. Aren't people just charming? I don't know about you, but when I have a cough it's just so fun, I love it, it's so easy to sleep, and is never annoying or painful.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
i work in health care and after coughing for 30 minutes i was told by my boss to go home. if someone is non-contagious and coughing and has to be at work, they wear a mask. Whether they are patients or staff or visitors or family, we hand them a mask if they are coughing. there are boxes of them all over the clinic.

one of the nice things about working in health care is there is a high level of awareness and practical steps taken to protect the health of patients and staff alike. we also have a "no shaking hands" policy, which i absolutely love. there are signs all over the clinic. i am so glad we do that, and now I do it even when i am not at work, that is NOT shaking hands with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships