Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:35 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I agree.

No, they aren't. The OP didn't freak out or call and accuse anyone of not paying their way. She just reacted to the other couple. What should she have done? Paid for her drink twice to appease the tightwads?

If I'd been the other couple, I wouldn't have even approached the OP about the drink. Life is too short to make a big deal out of $5.

Exactly; HOW is it the OP's fault that the waiter made a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
So childish. I would have just given them the 4.75 and reminded folks to double check their bill the next time out together.

The couple called the OP, not knowing the OP had already paid for the 1 drink. Sounds like everyone is counting their pennies, maybe the next get together should be a brown bag lunch in the park, or a pot luck.

Seriously, with all the negative things OP has had to say about the couple, I'd feel like a hypocrite continuing to gather with this couple.

Falling on a sword over less than 5.00 is ridiculous.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I imagine they are possibly thinking the same thing about you.
In reality you did *freak* over that small amount of money since you referred them to take it up with the restaurant.
This situation is one that should be a reminder for everyone to check their bill before they blindly pay.
I think the OP wasn't concerned about the $5 but about the principle of it. The other couple were extremely rude to their friends in asking to be reimbursed for the drink. The OP had already paid for the drink so why should they pay twice. They should dump this cheapskate pair who obviously aren't real friends.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:46 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
reminds me of the times I use to go on trips with a friend and during the trip they suddenly dont have any money to buy their meals, etc, and I have to pay for everything

one time a friend even made me buy him a new pair of shoes because his feet were killing him from all the walking and he needed better walking shoes,

so I bought him a cheap pair of walking shoes and didnt ask to be paid back, he was one of those "freeloader" types.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:59 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when everybody wants a separate check, thats going to cause mistakes, more work for the waiter to figure out who gets charged for each item in the group.

I prefer not dining in groups for this reason, there is always somebody that doesnt want to pay their share or expects you to pay for everything

Ive been dining alone for many years, much more enjoyable

just think of it this way, for $5 bucks you can end your friendship, and get rid of them, just pay him his $5 bucks and dont go out with them anymore.
Yup, Mr. Bolo, thanks for keeping it real. I did way too many group dinners, hosting them as Meetups. I was always scared someone wouldn't pay (fortunately this never happened to me, but it did to other hosts). And I realized I wasn't even enjoying my dinner...or frankly, the company. Good for both of us for trying out the group dining thing and being open to it...but good for us for acknowledging the reality of it (at least for us---I'm sure someone out there has had magnificent group dinners) and moving on to what works for us.

OP, these are friends you are well rid of. You tried, but I just don't think they can be the sort of friends you want and deserve, and you can't be the friends they want and demand (wanting you to pay when it wasn't your obligation).

Old 10-03-2016, 03:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
We always do separate checks. We don't drink so we don't feel like footing the bill for those who do. We also check our check before we pay it to make sure it's correct. If it's not, we say something right then and there with the waitstaff. We don't pay until it's corrected. If someone else doesn't check their bill, that's their problem. I wouldn't send anyone money either! Probably would never go out to dinner with them again.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Wow, that's crazy. You would have just given them the $5 and never go out with them again.
^^ yep!!

Time for new friends

Old 10-03-2016, 04:11 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
You know, the other couple could have simply called the restaurant, talked to the manager, and explained they had been charged for a drink they didn't order and just realized it when they looked at the check the next morning. They didn't have to call the other couple about it (that's what is petty).

The restaurant likely would have apologized and issued a credit back to the couple without incident. Restaurants want to keep patrons happy as their business relies on referrals and repeat business.

That's what I would have done if I were in the tightwad's shoes. Deal directly with the establishment, don't bother the other guests from that evening. No one would have been the wiser and the couple could have gotten what they wanted ($$ back) without putting anyone else on the defensive.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
reminds me of the times I use to go on trips with a friend and during the trip they suddenly dont have any money to buy their meals, etc, and I have to pay for everything
one time a friend even made me buy him a new pair of shoes because his feet were killing him from all the walking and he needed better walking shoes, so I bought him a cheap pair of walking shoes and didnt ask to be paid back, he was one of those "freeloader" types.
How can anyone *make* you buy anything? Ask for separate checks, pay your bill and leave them to figure out how to pay theirs. As far as shoes I rarely purchase shoes for myself let alone anyone else.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
We take turns paying the whole bill when going out with regular friends. If somebody goes for the special or has some extra drinks, they invariably offer to pay the tip and then get told not to worry about it. This nickel and dime stuff would drive me insane. On occasion we'll just have the waiter split the bill evenly two or three ways if need be. I can't remember the last time I went out with people who wanted separate checks. Seems like a miserable existence to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships