Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you glad you had children? This is a private poll for any parent with 1+ children
yes 141 78.77%
no 38 21.23%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

When I look at the ambitions of those without children vs those that have children you can see stark differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
of course ... I love kids I have kids and yes..

Old 11-29-2016, 12:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
I regret not having more than one child. My daughter is my heart - My second husband raised her and considers her to be his daughter in every way, which is a blessing. By the time we were ready to have a child together, I fought an off-again, on-again battle with breast cancer and it never happened. Now I am 42, so "them days are over." I can't imagine how empty my life would have been without my "little" girl who has blossomed into a lovely young woman.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The kind who had children who drove a wedge into her marriage because her husband would never discipline them. The kind who has a 29 year old son who was a drug addict from 15-25 and even though he's clean has now chosen to drink heavily and drive without a license due to a DUI. The kind of person who is forced to live with him because he doesn't make enough money on SSDI to survive.

What kind of person would say that? The kind who loves her kids but realizes her life would have been so much better off without this particular son. The kind who feels she has a handicapped child because all he does is sit in his room all day smoking, drinking and watching TV. The kind that always wonders if I should have done more or should I have done less to help him.

What kind of a person would say that? The kind who has considered suicide on more than one occasion because all of this is too painful to watch and live through, who has become a widow and had to deal with cancer 8 months later. The kind that realizes she will never have any peace in her life and who, even on her death bed, is going to worry about this son because nobody and I mean nobody wants to deal with him or have him live with them. Right now in his room on the night table are 16 empty beer cans and liquor bottles along with overflowing ashtrays. He has spent the weekend with his female friend and his daughter. Oh yes, did I mention he has a daughter that I have to take care of most weekends because he is sleeping off his hangover?

So before people peg anybody who says they regret having children as some horrible person, think about what YOUR life would be like if you had a child who was a drug addict, a thief, a prostitute, a pedophile or any number of horrible things your child could have been. And it's not always the parents' fault. My son was the typical stupid 15 year old who thought he would be the exception that could use drugs and not get hooked. He learned the hard way. He had so much potential and he threw it all away. It brings me to tears just writing this because, as you know, I am a horrible person for even wishing for a moment that I didn't have kids.
I suspect he has familial regrets as well.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:06 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I suspect he has familial regrets as well.
I suspect that you probably don't have a clue.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 PM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Are you glad you had children? This is a poll for any parent with one or more children.
If I did not have children, I would not have a wife and I would be living in my tiny bachelor apt waiting to die. So yes.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I regret not having more than one child. My daughter is my heart - My second husband raised her and considers her to be his daughter in every way, which is a blessing. By the time we were ready to have a child together, I fought an off-again, on-again battle with breast cancer and it never happened. Now I am 42, so "them days are over." I can't imagine how empty my life would have been without my "little" girl who has blossomed into a lovely young woman.
Why are those days over? My wife got pregnant with our last one naturally at 42 and doctor said she could of had a few more. My first cousin got married for first time at 40 to a 50 year old man and had three kids between 41 and 47. YOU ARE A SPRING CHICKEN

Old 11-29-2016, 06:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I can imagine being glad you didn't have kids if you've never had any. I can't imagine NOT being glad you had them once they are here.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:54 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I can't really answer

While I love my children they have put a major strain on the relationship with my wife.
Is your wife their mother or stepmother?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:19 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Parents of teenagers understand why animals eat their young.

I didn't like my daughter at times during her teenage years but I always loved her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships