Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:50 PM

231 posts, read 334,481 times

Advertisements

I know this lady and she is an acquaintance of mine. I only see her at the dog park few times a week. Although we aren't close friends, she has been so supportive of my different business endeavors by encouraging and giving me advice as well as buying stuff from me that I know she does not need. I am planning to do customized clothing and she has a business and she often wears clothing with her business logos on them.

I really want to make her a t-shirt or a hoodie but I don't know her size. I think she is a L-XL but I don't know. How do I go about asking her without telling her what it's for?

Also, I am not trying to advertise my business to her so I don't want her thinking that I am giving her this item hoping she will buy similar items from me. I genuinely want to thank her by giving her something that I know she will appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 04:15 PM

22,454 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Have you tried looking at similar clothing in a store? By doing so, you can judge as to what you think would fit her. I've done that when buying clothing as a gift for a child of a friend or relative.

Is the fabric you're using have some stretch to it? Most T-shirt fabrics will stretch. Factor that in when making a decision.

If you are making a hoodie, factor in that many people like to wear a thick fabric shirt underneath it. So if you do make it on the large side, you could tell her that she has room to do layering when it is cold.

Otherwise, you could start a conversation about what size hoodie or T-shirt you wear. Maybe mention that you find that different brands run on the small or big sizes. Then ask her what her clothes buying experiences are like. That way, she could say something like, "I wear a large and sometimes, depending on the brand, I have to buy extra large".

Old 01-05-2017, 04:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
Don't ask. Just give her what you think will fit. When you give it to her, say something funny/self-deprecating like "if it doesn't fit, or you hate it, maybe your dog will like gnawing on it"

Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Just ask her. What's wrong with that? Doesn't matter much though, most of these clothes anymore need to be tried on because you can't trust the sizes. Seems like some cut their clothes smaller and some larger so you never know what your going to end up with unless you try it on....

Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
There is no good way you can ask an acquaintance about her size and not be impolite. Maybe give her a friendly hug one day and kind of "measure" her that way.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Another reason I don't want to ask her is that I don't want to make it a big deal. I don't want to announce to her that I am making her something personalized. I plan on giving her the shirt and being like "I just got this new machine and I thought you might like this." -the end.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Have you tried looking at similar clothing in a store? By doing so, you can judge as to what you think would fit her. I've done that when buying clothing as a gift for a child of a friend or relative.

Is the fabric you're using have some stretch to it? Most T-shirt fabrics will stretch. Factor that in when making a decision.

If you are making a hoodie, factor in that many people like to wear a thick fabric shirt underneath it. So if you do make it on the large side, you could tell her that she has room to do layering when it is cold.

Otherwise, you could start a conversation about what size hoodie or T-shirt you wear. Maybe mention that you find that different brands run on the small or big sizes. Then ask her what her clothes buying experiences are like. That way, she could say something like, "I wear a large and sometimes, depending on the brand, I have to buy extra large".
That is a good idea. I think I will try to start a conversation about sizing.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times
How old is she about? I know many younger women do not care about having casual things like hoodies and sweatshirts too large -- they like things to be comfortable. In fact, I once knew a tiny 30-something women who regularly wore size L sweaters! And if she is a "larger" woman, she probably also prefers roomy clothing.

I would just give it to her and say something like, "I know this will probably be too large for you, but I figure it would be good on chilly days when you would wear something else under it." That way, you are not implying that she is a larger size than she might actually be.

P.S. Nice gesture, btw.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:36 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,192 times
What about a hat or a tote bag instead?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:47 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Once I was shopping and a complete stranger stopped and said she was shopping for a gift for a woman about my size and asked me what size I was. I had no problem telling her. If you know someone about her size, ask them. But I suggest you get her an XL and just say you picked something that you thought would be very roomy but may shrink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships